PDA

View Full Version : Treating a stone cut edge

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm working on a firepit and we plan on using a really hard limestone for the cap. I've tried rock facing the edge and I'm not getting a full chip so to speak. It chips the edges but leaves a smooth edge in the center.

What other ideas can you guy's think of for a quick treatment. I'm thinki8ng of doing a half polish on the edge to take away the cut marks.

scagrider22
08-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Sharpen your chisel and take off atleast 1" of the cap, dont hit the hammer very hard and score all the way around over and over hitting each spot an equal number of times, by the 3rd revolution the cap should split evenly all the way through.

But the easiest way is to rent a splitter. I would not recommend leaving a cut face.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Sharpen your chisel and take off atleast 1" of the cap, dont hit the hammer very hard and score all the way around over and over hitting each spot an equal number of times, by the 3rd revolution the cap should split evenly all the way through.

But the easiest way is to rent a splitter. I would not recommend leaving a cut face.

I have a splitter, but I haven't tried it yet fear of breaking the stone in the wrong place. I'll give it a try though.

I won't leave a cut edge but it might be a polished edge instead of a natural/rockfaced edge.

Landscaperma
08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
You could thermal the un-chipped flat portion, let it flake a bit extra, should give you some good results

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
You could thermal the un-chipped flat portion, let it flake a bit extra, should give you some good results

I've heard of thermaling a softer stone like sandstone, but never a dense stone. I thought about that already, but I don't have the time or resources for that at the moment.

OutdoorCreations
08-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Use a propane torch. The kind a plumber uses. You can get them at HD or Lowes

joes169
08-25-2011, 12:06 AM
I've heard of thermaling a softer stone like sandstone, but never a dense stone. I thought about that already, but I don't have the time or resources for that at the moment.

Your instincts are correct, you'll likely have little to no success in thermalling a stone this hard. As for the little propane torches, I wouldn't even recommend waiting the time on them on a soft stone like Bluestone. Take a real torch to it and get it done in an efficient manner.

What you need is a bushing hammer. You can buy them as a single handheld unit, although we have one for our rotary hammer & it makes life much easier.

Landscaperma
08-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Your instincts are correct, you'll likely have little to no success in thermalling a stone this hard. As for the little propane torches, I wouldn't even recommend waiting the time on them on a soft stone like Bluestone. Take a real torch to it and get it done in an efficient manner.

What you need is a bushing hammer. You can buy them as a single handheld unit, although we have one for our rotary hammer & it makes life much easier.

now we are thinking, a nice bushing bit (waffle) would be great when used with your hammer drill, if you can variate the speeds a low speed will work better.