PDA

View Full Version : Thread for Teens with Business's

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
I know that many people on this site are in there teens so i was thinking we could put together a thread where we could talk about each other buisnesses and how many accounts we have, how we're doing etc.

I'll start:

I have been running my lawncare buisness since I was 12.
I am now 17 and have 60(+,-) accounts.
I am working primarily by myself, but at times have a friend of mine who also has a lawn business help me out.

Exmarkboy13
08-24-2011, 09:39 PM
nice Idea.

Im thirteen and have been running my biz since i was ten. I have 15 accounts and will triple next year. I work only by myself and do hardscape installs as well and regular landscaping.

I would like to see some of our equipment setups for all of us who cant drive yet, such as ONLYTHEBEST.

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
nice Idea.

Im thirteen and have been running my biz since i was ten. I have 15 accounts and will triple next year. I work only by myself and do hardscape installs as well and regular landscaping.

I would like to see some of our equipment setups for all of us who cant drive yet, such as ONLYTHEBEST.

That's a good idea! I'll try to post some pics tomorrow if i have a chance. I actually will be able to drive in a week if I pass my drivers test. I already bought a truck so all i'm waiting on is my license haha

onlythebest
08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Haha yes this thread is a good idea.. I can't post pics from my blackberry so if u guys want pics let me know and I will go on my iphone.. Good luck with ur passing your drivers licence test!!
Posted via Mobile Device

onlythebest
08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Sorry not my iphone my computer
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Businesses

onlythebest
08-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Lol yeah I noticed that too... Just a question, do you guys take any business courses??
Posted via Mobile Device

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Businesses

yeah lol my bad

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Lol yeah I noticed that too... Just a question, do you guys take any business courses??
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, I don't. Do you?

onlythebest
08-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah I took one in grade 10 and I just went for registation for grade 11 today, and I got my timetable and I have 2 more business courses this coming semester
Posted via Mobile Device

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 10:10 PM
wow thats really cool, I awesome your planning on doing this after high school/college?

onlythebest
08-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah that's the plan.. Once I started seeing how rewarding this job can be I said to myself, "this is what I'm going to do the rest of my life."
Posted via Mobile Device

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I wish I could get to that point. I am still trying to decide between this and a career in the medical field. You said your in 11th grade?

ATLandcare
08-24-2011, 10:16 PM
For those of you young guns with your age in the signature I would recommend removing it. People will take you more seriously, I'm not being negative just offering my opinion!

onlythebest
08-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah...well going into grade 11 this tuesday coming
Posted via Mobile Device

ATLandcare
08-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I wish I could get to that point. I am still trying to decide between this and a career in the medical field. You said your in 11th grade?

Your mind will change, no matter how sure you are, things are subject to change. You wouldn't even believe the wild differences in my major if I told you.

thelawnman
08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=358065

MOHUSTLER
08-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Good job guys, I started my mowing business when I was 13 and now run a dealership. You can be as big as you want to. Best of luck in the future with whatever path you choose to take.

yardude
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Agree! At a young age you guys are learning the importance of a good work ethic. Also you are learning the ins & outs of running a small business. A lot of the practices you are learning can be used in any business ie... customer service, bookkeeping, advertising & hustling for new business etc.... In other words learning to manage a business on a daily basis. Keep up the good work!

Exmarkboy13
08-26-2011, 11:04 PM
post pics
\

joshman108
08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Im 18, this is my second year running. Im in college for marketing, since no business can thrive without stellar marketing, so yes, im taking classes in college.

20 accounts, residential, 21 honda, br600, fs45. Typical. Truck comes this fall, and next year will be a walk behind, trailer, llc, more accounts etc etc etc.
So im the only guy i know who carries his mower out of the back of his trunk :laugh:

I envy you guys who are starting at 13. I wish i woulda done that. Keep at it. All I sure know that you will never catch me dead at a desk job.

MOHUSTLER
08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Also as an employer, I would much rather hire a guy who has run a small business then an guy just out of college wet behind the ears. Nothing can perpare you for the work field as well as running a business.

pattytastik
08-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Also as an employer, I would much rather hire a guy who has run a small business then an guy just out of college wet behind the ears. Nothing can perpare you for the work field as well as running a business.

This is absolutely true! "on the job" experience is the best way to learn.
Posted via Mobile Device

2stroked
08-29-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm 14 started my business with my brother when I was 12. We've got about 25 regular accounts; it's gotten pretty big so far. I've sure learned a lot though, started out with 2 cheapo craftsman lawn mowers ( which I still have) Now I've got two regular trimmers, a older stihl fs75 that I bought for 20$ and fixed and a husqvarna 128ld that I bought from lowes for 200$. It's still running today which is pretty awesome. We also have some other trimmers that I've gotten for free and fixed, a stihl bg60 av leaf blower and a husqvarna 135 blower, and finally a older john deere riding mower. It's hard work but in the end it's worth it I guess.

Z's Lawncare
10-12-2011, 09:28 PM
i have been cutting since i was 9 i am 14 now and all my yards are an acre plus an my dad drives me one day a week so only can cutt one day a week all my equipment i have paid for

A.T.G LAWN CARE
10-12-2011, 10:37 PM
i have been cutting with my dad for 8 yr when i was 14 i started my own company a.t.g lawn care im 16 in 20 days and have a 12 by 6 trailer a 42in toro time-cutter and some small mower that my dad lets me use i bought everything myself. i want to sell the time cutter 32in exmark metro and 21in exmark and upgrade to a 52 in exmark or 52 in snapper pro and a exmark metro 36 with bag and sully

vanncann
10-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi guys!!! I started 30 years ago almost with my dad when I was 10, and you guys are bringing back some good memories. I have enjoyed this thread so keep it coming...

Green Industry Pro
10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I'll be 18 on the 15th of November. I have a Snapper commercial 21' walk behind, Craftsman 21' walk, Redmax 8001 backpack blower, Echo srm225 trimmer, and a Shindaiwa t242. I love all of my equipment. I've bought half of my stuff and the other half was purchased by my grandparents. They're trying to help me get started on my business. I'm planning to start work full time next year and with that I intend to purchase a larger trailer ( hopefully a 16' tandem axle landscape) and a couple larger mowers ( Toro or Exmark 36' walk and John Deere Quik Trak) and some other stuff. I'm excited for the future and can't wait. I'm glad to see other teens on here trying to make a name for themselves. It takes hard work, don't give up. Its worth it when you look back in 20 years and see what you made.:usflag:

BigRob
10-13-2011, 07:43 PM
hey guys, im 17 and have been mowing since i was 12. Have 29 weekly accounts, but being that i got my drivers license just before spring its not to bad. only had 5 accounts in neighborhood so growth was very limited without being able to drive. Have GMC 2500HD, 6x14 trailer, 52" Lazer and a 36" JD walkbehind.Echo trimmers and RedMax blowers. Solo and its all my money thats been put in so far. Saved up all my money to put into the business since i was 13 so it was all bought at the beginning. All profit besides gas and repairs definately helps out to keep up the confidence of not having to pay for things, especially if you dont have the money to. Will try and get pics up, but between school, mowing, and fall cleanups, Im very busy. Looking to buy a plow so i am occupied this winter. Glad that this thread has been started, kind of a place for all of us still learning this business.

Rob :usflag:

A.T.G LAWN CARE
10-13-2011, 08:15 PM
that sounds cool rob ill be 16 in Nov. did you get your exmark new and is it a lazer e or lazer z. i wanted to buy an exmark e series 52(8300) or snapper pro 52 $(7000) and an exmark 36in metro bag/sully.i am going to do some investing i my company and upgrade and ill have my license by next year.

BigRob
10-13-2011, 08:31 PM
that sounds cool rob ill be 16 in Nov. did you get your exmark new and is it a lazer e or lazer z. i wanted to buy an exmark e series 52(8300) or snapper pro 52 $(7000) and an exmark 36in metro bag/sully.i am going to do some investing i my company and upgrade and ill have my license by next year.

Well I bought mine used for about $3000. Had only 600 hours on the machine so I was siked! It's kind of old, like maybe 06. Couldn't tell you which model, bought it at an auction for a business that was going under. Was used as a backup mower. Came with 6 sets of blades and brand new hydros. If you can afford it, which i haunt priced one out, go with an x series, my uncle has one and has no complaints. But they all seem to be the same except for deck and motor options. Good luck!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

TAPPER
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Me and my brother started mowing lawns in our neighborhood when he was 10 and i was 13. I left the business for a while to attend college and take business classes. When i came back we were at 55 residential yards, 5 commercials and next year we will be adding 3 more commercial contracts totaling over 50k. Right now its 3 of us but next year we will be adding 1 more guy. We also have 3 big commercial snow removals that we sub out to help us plus our residential yards. We have a 250 and 2 350's a enclosed trailer and a dump trailer. This year we purchased a toro grandstand and next year we will be purchasing a new commercial ztr mower along with a new walk behind. We are pricing out mowers for next year now. Good luck to everyone and I hope you experience as much success as we have been.

pollak1322
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I started my business around my neighborhood when I was 12 with about 4 accounts, now I'm 18 and have around 17-20 with lots of other smaller jobs I get on the side. Right now I'm away at my first year of college and I have my friend back at home taking care of the business and making sure everything runs smoothly. A few weeks ago I purchased my first brand new mower. It's a Scag 48" Hydro, In addition to that I have an old 48" belt driven Scag, a really old 21" self propelled snapper, and a John Deere Lawn Tractor that I use for clean ups to tow around my leaf vacuum. I'm hoping to keep expanding over the next few months so that I can do this full time next summer. We have been talking to various real estate agents around our area to get contracts with the houses they are trying to sell as well as talking to a guy whose looking to get out of the business and wants to give us some accounts. I would post some pics of my equipment but I'm 400 miles away from home!

billythekid
10-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Started at 13 with 2 yards that i used their push mowers at, went from 2 to 7 this year the majority over and acre. Bought a lesco 36 belt drive (ancient) in may for 275, fixed that up and am ready to sell it because i picked up a 2000? exmark viking 48 with bagger and sulky. None of my equipment is new but plan to expand to some new stihl gear over the winter while i pay my dad back for the exmark. I pull my trailer and gear with a 4 cylinder ranger (1000lb load) on a regular basis, it's the 1 ton of compact trucks lol.

Plan on getting an LLC next year possibly an applicator license sometime between spring and when i graduate college. I'm a senior in HS and plan to attend college next fall for business of some sort. my life consists of school, work, and my girlfriend.

Z's Lawncare
10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
im planing on buying a john deere x495 desiel with around 600hrs for 5,500 or a scag walk behind what do guys think is a better deal all my yards are pretty big