PDA

View Full Version : Echo SRM-225 having trouble starting

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 09:55 PM
I have an srm-225 that is about 1.5-2 years old which gets about 10 hours a week or so i'd say. In the last few months it is very hard to cold start. It takes about 20-30 pulls. It always starts. Eventually. Any idea what is causing this. I believe it needs the carb to be cleaned but I know nothing about repairs or that kinda stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Josh

McG_Landscaping
08-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I know its obvious but replace the plug? I have to change mine about once a month
Posted via Mobile Device

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 10:22 PM
I know its obvious but replace the plug? I have to change mine about once a month
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't replaced it since I bought it. Do you think an old spark plug would cause it to have trouble starting? I would think a bad spark plug would just prevent it from starting at all.

j-ville native
08-24-2011, 10:25 PM
change the spark plug. also might want to change the air filter while you're at it. should start after that. mine won't start right now either but thats because it got rained on really hard today so it just needs to dry out and hopefully it will be running in the morning

McG_Landscaping
08-24-2011, 10:50 PM
I haven't replaced it since I bought it. Do you think an old spark plug would cause it to have trouble starting? I would think a bad spark plug would just prevent it from starting at all.

Definitely. When its starting to go it takes quite a few pulls. Once its replaced it should start in only a few. Could be a cheap$ 4.50 fix!
Posted via Mobile Device

pattytastik
08-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Definitely. When its starting to go it takes quite a few pulls. Once its replaced it should start in only a few. Could be a cheap$ 4.50 fix!
Posted via Mobile Device

Great! That's what i'll do!

Thanks a lot!

McG_Landscaping
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Np let us know how it goes!
Posted via Mobile Device

tlc1994
08-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Replace spark plug, if that doesn`t work, try fuel filter. Always check the cheapest stuff first.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
I've never in the time I've used small engine handhelds have had to replace a sparkplug. I don't understand how you'd have to replace it once a month, and I'm a auto tech with 30 years experience! Either you're fuel/oil mix is too rich or you just like to spend money.

ron mexico75
08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Plug, air filter, fuel filter, dirty carb? Maybe one or maybe a mix.

I have an old Echo trimmer and couln't get it started without starter fluid. Changed the plug and worked ok for about a week. After that the same thing started.

Ended up being that the exaust (muffler) was filled up with a greasy sludge. How? Not sure, but after taking it off and cleaning it out it starts fine now.

McG_Landscaping
08-25-2011, 09:33 AM
I've never in the time I've used small engine handhelds have had to replace a sparkplug. I don't understand how you'd have to replace it once a month, and I'm a auto tech with 30 years experience! Either you're fuel/oil mix is too rich or you just like to spend money.

My fuel mix is a little rich in my opinion but I mix it at the rate echo calls for with their mix. I don't believe that you have never changed a plug? I put roughly 24 hours a week on my trimmers (which isnt a lot compared to some of these people who mow a lot more than i do) and they probably need their little exhaust screens cleaned but honestly sometimes it just easier to replace the plug. Ill take the $4.50 hit
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
What is your procedure for starting it cold? Do you use the primer? And do you put on the choke? Have you looked to see if you got two screw for adjusting the carb. One of them would be for starting.

And more important will it start with a shot of quick start?

pattytastik
08-25-2011, 10:31 PM
What is your procedure for starting it cold? Do you use the primer? And do you put on the choke? Have you looked to see if you got two screw for adjusting the carb. One of them would be for starting.

And more important will it start with a shot of quick start?

I prime it about 6 times, switch to cold start and pull and pull and pull until it "stutters". Then I switch it onto Run and pull and pull until it comes alive.
I have not looked at the carb since i know nothing about engines and such. I have not tried quick start, i'd rather fix it then just give it steroids lol.

Skidpad
08-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Once it sputters, try switching the choke off and squeeze the throttle wide open; pull again. That's how my Echo PB-250 blower and SRM-230 trimmer start. Both usually start on that first pull once the choke is off and the throttle is open. Seems weird, but it works well.
Posted via Mobile Device