PDA

View Full Version : HELP MOWER Will not stay running!

rcrowetz
08-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I have a Gravely Promaster 200 Mower with a Kawasaki 17hp The thing will start up but dies shortly after. I have placed a new carb on it and same thing...

If I hold the choke closed it wil stay running a bit longer but the engine idles down and up while doing so then...dies... I cant figure it out.

Thanks

Rob

BradLewisLawnCare
08-24-2011, 09:40 PM
My kaki does same thing! Except I've paid hundreds to have everything fixed yet it still does it only longer interval
S. Started at every 20-30 then mowed to every hour once carb was cleaned...
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
08-24-2011, 09:44 PM
You'd be better off taking it to a small engine shop and have them look at it.

BradLewisLawnCare
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
That's where I spent hundreds. They started by doing small reapirs. Clean gas tank oil change clean carb and new spark plugs. Then they ran without blades on for an hour. I ran w blades on next day and it wanted to shut down from fuel starvation after being hot running 45 mins
Posted via Mobile Device

BradLewisLawnCare
08-24-2011, 10:01 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=357449&page=2
Posted via Mobile Device

rcrowetz
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Bradlawncare,

I never opened the inside of the crankcase etc.. and as far as I know it never overheated so you are saying it could still be the governer if so isnt it inside the block and a pain to change?

greatinmulchbeds
08-24-2011, 10:17 PM
have you checked the fuel line? use your fingers and pinch all the way up line, it may be as simple as a clog...I had the same problem awhile ago, some how leaves and grass compacted into a ball in the line.

weapons of grass destruction
08-24-2011, 10:25 PM
should move this to the mechanic & repair section.
There are some good mechanics there

Lugnut
08-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I would suggest checking fuel line, filter and pump, if it is getting fuel and the carb is clean then check the coils, I had an issue with them earlier this year where the mower wouldnt stall out but would start to run real rough after being used 30 - 40 minutes

BradLewisLawnCare
08-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm saying I have no clue and I wished my solution was more apparent. I learned to blow off your mower or be screwed.
Posted via Mobile Device

fastbs
08-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Check fuel lines, replace fuel filter.
Maybe coil. Coil usually doesn't cause surging but if its bad the engine will seem weak and will not take much to bog down.
Posted via Mobile Device

rcrowetz
08-24-2011, 10:42 PM
ok thanks...

Grassmangrass
08-24-2011, 10:48 PM
A simple thing to check - make sure the gas tank vent is venting properly.

chris

dutch1
08-25-2011, 07:11 AM
After 13 posts, still no mention of valve lash adjustment. Kaw recommends this on 300 hour intervals. Also no mention of blower housing being removed to clear cooling fins of debris. It doesn't take much debris in the cooling fins to cause overheating of the heads which can contribute to valves hanging up.

ALC-GregH
08-25-2011, 08:08 AM
That's where I spent hundreds. They started by doing small repairs. Clean gas tank oil change clean carb and new spark plugs. Then they ran without blades on for an hour. I ran w blades on next day and it wanted to shut down from fuel starvation after being hot running 45 mins
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry to say that they obviously didn't know what they were doing. A good mechanic that knows about small engines should have no trouble diagnosing and repairing the problem.

piston slapper
08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
After 13 posts, still no mention of valve lash adjustment. Kaw recommends this on 300 hour intervals. Also no mention of blower housing being removed to clear cooling fins of debris. It doesn't take much debris in the cooling fins to cause overheating of the heads which can contribute to valves hanging up.

Whats the deal ? I dont know if you're gonna be able to help this guy...
2 identical posts by the same guy with the same issue...WTF????
Just posted on the other thread , only to find this one....:nono:

A Regular Spam Machine...

dutch1
08-25-2011, 12:24 PM
The heat must be getting to you Slapper--you're a little slow on the uptake today. At least the old fart noticed two alike and responded to the longer one, for whatever it's worth.

piston slapper
08-25-2011, 02:03 PM
The heat must be getting to you Slapper--you're a little slow on the uptake today. At least the old fart noticed two alike and responded to the longer one, for whatever it's worth.

You caught me Dutch....Being lazy and looking for .....

Restrorob
08-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Well, This younger old fart noticed both and decided to sit these out. But.....Curiosity got the best of me, I had to see why there were so many post for such a small problem.... :laugh:

BradLewisLawnCare
08-25-2011, 10:04 PM
I blew out blower housing for my problem...
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
08-26-2011, 04:11 PM
i blew out blower housing for my problem...
posted via mobile device

absolute genius...

Restrorob
08-26-2011, 06:04 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=228929&stc=1&d=1314389432...... http://www.**********.com/forums/images/smilies/1231.gif

piston slapper
08-26-2011, 08:39 PM
It was a smoking hot day today. The PENGUIN SLAPPER made it a little more tolerable.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
08-28-2011, 10:38 AM
I blew out blower housing for my problem...
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you explain further? I'm having many of the same issues, and have tried everything you have so far with the same problem resurfacing after a few hrs.
I'm getting some backfiring to, which it has never done in the past. I have 1200 hrs on it too. I'm leaning to coils or valve adjustments next.

piston slapper
08-29-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=228929&stc=1&d=1314389432...... http://www.**********.com/forums/images/smilies/1231.gif

Ditto...Ditto....Hmmm...

MJB....I Think you're probably gonna have a long wait for BRAD to get back to you....Dont think he came back up out of the ice.:confused:

It would probably serve you well to start a new thread....:waving:

MJB
08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Ditto...Ditto....Hmmm...

MJB....I Think you're probably gonna have a long wait for BRAD to get back to you....Dont think he came back up out of the ice.:confused:

It would probably serve you well to start a new thread....:waving:

Thanks but I just ordered a new coil. The old one started going bad on 1 side.

I may need to adjust the valves on this motor next too. Thanks.

2stroked
08-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Just give it a tune up make sure fuel lines aren't closing up and preventing gas from flowing. Clean spark plug, air filter, adjust valves, make sure gas tank cap is venting correctly, check compression. should solve the problem eventually. Good luck

2stroked
08-29-2011, 09:37 PM

lamo this is great.

MJB
08-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Just give it a tune up make sure fuel lines aren't closing up and preventing gas from flowing. Clean spark plug, air filter, adjust valves, make sure gas tank cap is venting correctly, check compression. should solve the problem eventually. Good luck

I've done everything but adjust the valves and check compression. It finally got bad enough it will only run on 1 side now so the coil was the issue.

2stroked
08-30-2011, 05:30 PM
I've done everything but adjust the valves and check compression. It finally got bad enough it will only run on 1 side now so the coil was the issue.

Ah ok I forgot to add check spark in there;) good to hear that you fixed the problem

MJB
09-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Ah ok I forgot to add check spark in there;) good to hear that you fixed the problem

Problem was the coil would work for a while then cut out, it would do this while mowing so everytime I checked for spark it was working. Finally it died when I pulled the opposite spark plug wire. It would of been easy if the coil just died and stayed that way. Took me way to long to figure this out, thought it was a fuel problem.