PDA

View Full Version : Killing Dallis Grass

mcambrose
10-30-2002, 10:43 PM
I am in north Alabama and the Dallis Grass is still green. Can I kill it with MSMA this time of year or will I have to wait until next spring. Any other suggestions for killing the DAllis grass?

Green Pastures
10-30-2002, 10:47 PM
I HATE Dallis grass. Somebody help!

Scott

LAWNGODFATHER
10-30-2002, 11:58 PM
MSMA will and I belive Drive and Acclaim will also, but I don't have the lables infront of me to check and make sure.

You can still kill it, but once the first frost comes by you it will be gone for the rest of the season till it gets hot again.

greenman
10-31-2002, 01:08 AM
MSMA will kill dallis grass. What kind of grass is it? It is NR on certain types of grass. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it because it will be gone in a couple of weeks or so, unless your in a really mild climate. Dallis grass is difficult to control, usually pre-m will not even control it.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by greenman
What kind of grass is it?

It is often mistaken for crabgrass here.

Fvstringpicker
10-31-2002, 03:03 PM
MSMA will kill dallisgrass but it will take at least two applications 10-14 days apart. There are other herbicides out there that will also work. Primarily those that work on grassy type weeds. Dallisgrass is a perennial grass that initiates growth from rhizomes as well as seed so pre-emerge won't work. Plan on several seasons to totally elminate the problem.

HLC
11-01-2002, 01:27 PM
mcambrose,
Check into Ally or Manor. I have used Ally to control bahia and it works like a charm. I am pretty sure it will knock out dallis. By the way, my supplier told me that Ally and Manor are the exact chemical. Manor is labled for lawns, Ally is labled for farm use. Manor is about twice the price. Ally is expensive enough. I've been using it on horse pastures. Not sure if it will do any good this time of year though.....don't have the label here in front of me.

Fvstringpicker
11-01-2002, 05:38 PM
I agree with HLC. I've used Manor in application involving behiagrass, crabgrass and goosegrass in Centipede and St Augistine tufs. I've never used Ally. As stated, Manor works like a charm.

mcambrose
11-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Fvstringpicker
I agree with HLC. I've used Manor in application involving behiagrass, crabgrass and goosegrass in Centipede and St Augistine tufs. I've never used Ally. As stated, Manor works like a charm.

I looked at labels for Ally and it didn't list Dallis grass as controlled. I also looked at the Drive label as suggested by some others. It didn't list Dallis Grass either. The grasses I have dallis grass problems in is mainly bermuda, so MSMA works, but you have to hit it hard and it yellows it a lot. If anyone else has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Fvstringpicker
11-03-2002, 02:38 PM
In bermuda, go with MSMA with applications about 2 weeks apart. My choice is the wettable powder formulation ( I seem to get a lot more bang for the buck) and add a little liquid soad, or some other sticker, to your solution as a sticker. I use Manor in St Augestine and Centipede because they won't tolerate MSMA. In my opinion, you may possibly equal MSMA for dallisgrass, but you won't beat it.

mcambrose
11-03-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Fvstringpicker
In bermuda, go with MSMA with applications about 2 weeks apart. My choice is the wettable powder formulation ( I seem to get a lot more bang for the buck) and add a little liquid soad, or some other sticker, to your solution as a sticker. I use Manor in St Augestine and Centipede because they won't tolerate MSMA. In my opinion, you may possibly equal MSMA for dallisgrass, but you won't beat it.

Thanks for the note. I had forgotten that someone at a pesticide meeting last year had mentioned that the wettable powder was more effective than the liquid for him also. Thanks. I will try that next year.

What concentration do you use. In liquid I use about 1.5 oz/gal.

Fvstringpicker
11-03-2002, 06:23 PM
I've been using 55% active ingredient. I mix strictly according to labeling. 8.5 lbs/acre or 1.5 oz WP by weight/1000 sq ft. For spot treatments I mix 1.5 oz of the WP in 3 gallons of water and apply until slight runoff occurs. Your best control is going to be when the dallisgrass is actively growing.

George777
11-04-2002, 08:49 PM
I had good control in mid summer with several applications of msma. First frost will kick it in the butt. Next season jump on it when it first shows it's ugly head.

mcambrose
11-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by George777
I had good control in mid summer with several applications of msma. First frost will kick it in the butt. Next season jump on it when it first shows it's ugly head.

Is is easier to kill when it first comes out in the spring or do you need hot weather to kill it?

Fvstringpicker
11-10-2002, 12:58 AM
Hit it when its young and growing. Sides you'll do more damage to your turf when the temp is high (90+) in the summer.

Fvstringpicker
11-10-2002, 01:04 AM
I may have not been clear on my above post. Spray the dallisgrass when it's young and growing. Avoid spraying herbicides as much as possible when the temp in above 90.
Desirable turf grasses are less tolerant when tempertures are above 90.