PDA

View Full Version : halco par 36 led or other par 36 led

David Gretzmier
08-25-2011, 01:08 AM
I have a situation where I could possible use a par 36 LED retrofit in existing cans and was wondering if anyone had used the par 36 from halco or any other manu and how it worked out. most of the led par's I have found are not sealed, or are old school "28 led's" and won't be bright enough. anybody have any experience in this area?

Lite4
08-25-2011, 07:20 AM
I've used the halcos. Color is fine but you don't have the lumen punch of a halogen. It's probably a 25-30 watt halogen equivelant if comparing bightness.
Posted via Mobile Device

Steve Atkinson
08-27-2011, 03:39 PM
David,

Take a look at the Brilliance LED PAR36s. Available in 15 and 30 degree. 5watt matches to the 20w, and the 9watt matches to the 35w. A really nice light color and projection. And rated IP67, something you will not see in other products. Just be sure you provide plenty of drainage material under the can. Like the standard lamps, these will fail if left submerged in water standing in the can!

Out here in the West, Horizon has moved a lot of these items. John Deere just took Brilliance on as an approved vendor, so you should be seeing the product available in their stores shortly.

Tomwilllight
09-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I don't know the Brilliance line well yet... but I know they have had trouble with their LEDs that have gotten wet... these are not the tractor bulbs your grandfather used.

Tom

Steve Atkinson
09-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Tom,

You are correct about getting these wet. They will not currently work submerged in water, so are at the mercy of the enclosing fixture. But they are IP67 rated, which means the lamp is resistant to rain and sprinkler water that falls on it. Great product for retrofitting canlights. Same IP67 rating for the miniatures. MR-16s are IP65 rated, and must be used in an enclosed fixture for outdoor systems.

Az Gardener
11-08-2014, 05:07 AM
A few years have passed any updates to this thread? I'm looking to retrofit about 40 well lights on a clients property and have been steered toward Uniques "flex series" by a local colleague but after pressing him he admits he has not really tried other brands and has been happy with the unique product line.

I would welcome any feed back. This is a 15 year client & I hope to be there another 15 so I don't want to regret this decision.

Lite4
11-08-2014, 08:34 AM
A few years have passed any updates to this thread? I'm looking to retrofit about 40 well lights on a clients property and have been steered toward Uniques "flex series" by a local colleague but after pressing him he admits he has not really tried other brands and has been happy with the unique product line.

I would welcome any feed back. This is a 15 year client & I hope to be there another 15 so I don't want to regret this decision.

I have used both the Unique and the Brilliance lamps. No failures so far with Unique and a few with Brilliance. I won't install them in the ground anymore though. I've been upselling my clients to get rid of the unground pars and install a bullet light with LED so it is out of the dirt. I have just never felt right about sticking a $50 bill in a well light and leaving it for the rainwater, mud and ants.

GreenLight
11-08-2014, 09:00 AM
I too just snatch well lights out of the ground and replace. Honestly, for about the same price of the PAR LED lamp alone, you can find a solid brass or copper bullet with a 35 watt equivalent LED lamp (Give or take $15.00) from a reputable manufacturer.

My biggest beef with the PAR LEDs is the whole "submersible" topic. The lamp itself might be bulletproof, but well light sockets are not. They corrode and dry rot onto the lamp and in some cases they will basically destroy the connection point to the lamp. They generally have all the makings of a long term service nightmare considering those LED PAR lamps are going to be your baby for the next 12-15 years.

Az Gardener
11-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I would love to get away from the well lights too but they are all in lawn areas lighting up 25'-30' Date Palms. Lawn mowers no matter how careful can't go a month without hitting a bullet. Plus the lawn looks so clean without lights sticking up all over the place.

I'm open to any suggestions. My quote was significantly higher than $50 per lamp at least from John Deer

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Why not replace the PAR36 Well Lights with a good quality, well sealed, MR16 based well light. Or, if you can find one that closely matches the colour and output of the rest of the system, and you want to spend some $$$ Go with an integrated LED Well light. There are very few applications where only a PAR36 will do.

Chris J
11-10-2014, 10:24 PM
I would love to get away from the well lights too but they are all in lawn areas lighting up 25'-30' Date Palms. Lawn mowers no matter how careful can't go a month without hitting a bullet. Plus the lawn looks so clean without lights sticking up all over the place.

I'm open to any suggestions. My quote was significantly higher than $50 per lamp at least from John Deer

I agree. There is nothing a Par36 can do that an MR16 can not. Go in the direction of a recessed MR16 based fixture. You should be able to find several for close to the same price as the Par LED lamp itself.