PDA

View Full Version : Using tarps for leaf boxes

ksland
10-30-2002, 11:26 PM
I have a mesh tarp that I wanted to use to cover the top of a leaf box for a tailgate loader. Somebody mentioned its not the right tarp for that. I see people mention nortern tools for the mesh tarp I want but searching their site and catalog the only thing labeled as a mesh tarp is the same thing I have. Can somebody show or tell me a place or at least what type of tarp I want for this application? Here is a picture of mine. You can see light through it and it is breathable but I guess it wouldn't give enough airflow.

gogetter
10-30-2002, 11:31 PM
I would say if you can see light through it and if you can blow through it and feel it on the other side with your hand, it should be fine.
Besides, it will probably also have some space around the top edge to vent through.

ksland
10-30-2002, 11:32 PM
this is without the flash, you can see the light and the "mesh" weave to it

trimmer
10-30-2002, 11:34 PM
It sure want hurt to try.

ksland
10-30-2002, 11:40 PM
I understand the try theory, but I really would like to buy what is best. If using this would decrease airflow and possibly cause clogging or something I wouldn't want to use it. Then again if someone says they use this type and it works great, I would use it.

HarryD
10-31-2002, 02:36 AM
here are some links for mesh tarps

http://www.tarpsplus.com/greenmeshtarps.html

http://tarps.com/mesh.htm

J.Thomas sells them but i dont see them on there web site

JasperStorm
10-31-2002, 07:38 AM
If there is any sort of a vent (screen covered, of course) in the front of your box, you'll be ok.
The really "meshy" tarps will snag and tear on anything from the corners of your box to low tree branches.
I think you'll be ok with what you have.

mdb landscaping
10-31-2002, 08:23 AM
is there any way you could just cut a few squares in the plywood and put some screen in. i got some screen at home depot. heres a pic:

stslawncare
10-31-2002, 08:29 AM
looks like got vent for me mdb, anything like that or a screen like tarp will do the trick.

MLI
10-31-2002, 08:38 AM
My set up will be finished Saturday....if you wanna come up and look....your welcome to. We built the sides out of plywood, boxed the front of the truck in, and left the rear 4ft of box open. We use the mesh tarp for the open 4 ft, and it breaths well, also can still get stuff into truck like branches if I had to. Im mounting the sucker Sat morning. Call me!

ksland
10-31-2002, 08:42 PM
I have already mounted the sucker and built the box (today) I have decided to go with a open top box with a swinging door. I am going to cover the whole top with a tarp and bungee it down all around. This will make for easy removal of the top to throw branches and such in. I will post pics soon, I think its a great setup. I mounted the sucker on a swing reese mount and can pull the trailer too.,

gene gls
10-31-2002, 09:55 PM
This is the best cover that I have found. Its made 14' wide and is sold by the foot in length.

J. Lamco, Inc.
254 N. Rehobth Blvd.
Milford DE. 19963

For info call,302-422-7531

Gene