PDA

View Full Version : Scag Tiger Cub Wont Start after sitting 1 day

lkthoma
08-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Hello,
I have a Scag Tiger Cub Model STC48V-23CV. The Kohler Command series engine is giving me an issue starting after it has set a day or so. It will crank and some times attempt to fire for a half second if you adjust the choke. After that attempt to fire, it wont try again. If you pull out the heavy duty air filters and give it a shot of Carb cleaner or ether, it will start and run. While running there is no loss of power from normal, and no misses, rough running or idling.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dahammer
08-26-2011, 01:54 AM
It's not getting fuel, investigate why. Could be the fuel pump, clogged filter or etc.

dahammer
08-26-2011, 01:59 AM
I believe this is the service manual for the engine on it. Check section 5

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2450_c.pdf

StihlMechanic
08-26-2011, 02:04 AM
If it starts and then runs on starting fluid, I would suspect the choke cable or linkage is the problem. If it starts up but dies with starter fluid then you more than likely have a fuel system issue.

dahammer
08-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Wait, yeah... It doesn't die after the shot of starting fluid or it does?

lkthoma
08-26-2011, 02:30 AM
Nope doesnt die after the shot of starting fluid.

Mtnmn
08-26-2011, 02:42 AM
Pull the fuel line at the carb. and put the line in suitable container, and give it a shot gas thru the carb. Get it to run a few seconds, see if fuel pump is working. With a squirt bottle of gas giving it a squeeze when it begins stall you should be able to keep it running for several minutes. If you get fuel in the container pump is working. then it looks like carb. problem. May be stuck float in closed position. I would strongly recommend not using starting fluid or either, one day it will cause a BIG problem.

lkthoma
08-26-2011, 08:09 AM
I will try disconnecting the fuel line from the carb. and report back later today...

Thanks for everyone's help.

dahammer
08-26-2011, 09:50 AM
If it doesn't die, then it's getting fuel, so I agree with StihlMechanic, it's probably an issue with the choke. Could also be a badly clogged air filter, which would cut off the air supply like the choke. But if you put the filter back in after you get it running and it continues to run fine, that's not the problem either.

lkthoma
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
If it doesn't die, then it's getting fuel, so I agree with StihlMechanic, it's probably an issue with the choke. Could also be a badly clogged air filter, which would cut off the air supply like the choke. But if you put the filter back in after you get it running and it continues to run fine, that's not the problem either.

The air filter wasn't clogged when I pulled it and used a shot of carb cleaner to get it running. I'll start down the line
of checking the choke.