PDA

View Full Version : Would you leave something looking like this?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 01:58 AM
Wait till see see what it is.

HarryD
10-31-2002, 01:59 AM
why waste the time striping it if your not gunna finish the job

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 02:00 AM
I passed by here at 8:15 am and it looked like this when I did then, and from the looks of the pic now, looks more likre lunch time right?

Looks like crap, might have to contact the GM.

nlminc
10-31-2002, 02:02 AM
I'll confess! I was in a hurry to make it home for the Jerry Springer show at 10am...... :)

Guido
10-31-2002, 02:12 AM
Usually the scrubs at least blow it 2 to 3' away from the curb (as if no one will know where it came from!) :)

LGF - Those pics would be a perfect introduction to talk with the contract manager over there. The owner might not visit that resteraunt much either, and doesn't know any better.

I would make my move now.........perfect timing!

ranger520
10-31-2002, 02:17 AM
i see it everyday in my area. mabe that is why people come up to me when i am loading my equiptment and ask for a Bid. I refuse to leave anything in the street period. There is nothing that looks worse.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Guido
Usually the scrubs at least blow it 2 to 3' away from the curb (as if no one will know where it came from!) :)

LGF - Those pics would be a perfect introduction to talk with the contract manager over there. The owner might not visit that resteraunt much either, and doesn't know any better.

I would make my move now.........perfect timing!

With suggestion to go in and make a move already, I will do in tomarrow afternoon when not so busy, and will take a print out of these "PICS"!!

However Dave, I do and tell my employees' if they can't walk out in the street safely to blow the debris away from the curb, keep in mind though "if you can't walk in the steet safely".

Although this corner it could be easily done safely, and my guy's and gal will have someone watch to stop traffic just incase, because they have "Pride", and they love to boost their ego's.

JimLewis
10-31-2002, 02:28 AM
I went by later in the day and took this picture (below). They changed the sign. They said you were eating more burgers than Anna Nicole Smith at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 02:36 AM
LOL Jim....but that playground now open sign has a lot of meaning to me.

I will make this short.....

This Bk 6 months ago had a todler that got killed in the play ground area. He was left there on his own while mommy worked at BK. The MGR on duty let her do this numerous times.

She sued and was awarded a very large uncontested settlement.

Every time I see the sign I think about the Darowin Awards. (sp)

HarryD
10-31-2002, 02:42 AM
then im thinking this place is under new management

what a dumb *** . i bet they both felt real bad about that . poor kid . people are so stupid these days its not funny

crawdad
10-31-2002, 06:10 AM
How about this one? I think he saw me shoot this pic through my windshield. I don't care. I couldn't resist the photo-op. I work for his neighbor.
Crawdad

MOW ED
10-31-2002, 06:25 AM
You should see what the County's Lawn assasins do here. They mow once every two or 3 weeks and run it down to 1". They do the boulevard islands on well traveled roads. It is sick to see it cut to the roots and windrowed well into the traffic lanes. There is a group of people that plant all kinds of flowers in these medians and the flower beds look great but they might as well pave the area that is considered grass.

crawdad
10-31-2002, 06:32 AM
I was headed down off'n the ridge one day, and one of the neighbors had mowed everything out in the street. The entire lane was heavily covered. I wouldn't want to have been on my bike. This part of the street is steep, too. As I was driving the long green strip of road, I tapped the brakes pretty good, causing one tire to screech. Just to show the guy what he had done. It was as slick as an inch of snow.

Crawdad

JasperStorm
10-31-2002, 07:49 AM
Crawdad-

Did you say to that guy "Please don't just throw your empty beer cups in the gutter"?

crawdad
10-31-2002, 07:58 AM
You noticed that, eh? He left it there. What a slob. "My" section of the street was left clean, not so much as a leaf.
By the way, I showed my wife the BK pic, she said the grass in street was OK, it would dry up, and get blown by traffic in a day or so. I said to her, "So looking like crap two days a week would be alright?" Someone asked her yesterday why she doesn't work for me, she replied that a business with two bosses wouldn't work. She is correct.
Crawdad

swonkeg
10-31-2002, 08:43 AM
There is a guy here that does the same thing in the street in front of a real estate office. I spoke with the owner several years ago when the previous LCO did the same thing and told her I could do a much better job . She said she would call (never did) then hired the current LCO who does the same thing! Some people just don't get it...

crawdad
10-31-2002, 08:56 AM
As my wife was saying this morning, maybe price was more important than whether on not they spray the clippings in the street. We don't want those customers anyhow, but it still bothers most of us to see someone doing a terrible job.
Crawdad

Green Pastures
10-31-2002, 10:05 AM
I see stuff like that every day. Terrible job, I could not do something like that. I just could not get more than a block or two away and my conscience would make me turn around.

I was leaving a job once this spring, I mean loaded up and driving away. As I was driving I took one last look in the back yard, I saw a small strip of grass that I had somehow missed. I thought to myself, "ah it's just a small peice I'll get it next week" I did'nt get more than a block away and I couldn't stand it anymore. I turned around offloaded the push mower and went back there and got it mowed. I just really felt better instantly.

Scott

Brickman
10-31-2002, 10:06 AM
Price is ALL way too many people look at these days. When I was doing LC I would talk to G Ms at a biz that looked like death warmed over. Tell em we could do better than that. The ones that made me the maddest, and laugh the hardest were the ones that had not been cut in a few weeks to over a month. "Oh yeah we got some body lookin after us. They do a good job."
People that stupid you can't argue with, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

HarryD
10-31-2002, 10:54 AM
i had one job i almost would never blow in the hopes i would get fired becasue they were always at least 3 months behind in paying me . thank goodness they moved into a new building and asked if i would give them a bid so far i have not even looked at it

Gravely_Man
10-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Boy that is a great picture. Do you mind if I use it as an example of my work. That is something to be proud out. Purely cutting the grass and leaving that must save them 5 minutes in bowing time. Here you would get a ticket for leaving debris in the street.

Gravely_Man
:confused:

Swampbeast
10-31-2002, 11:56 AM
Hey Lawngodfather, you changed your icon! Good, I wasnt so sure what to think about you with that overly happy little bug under your name.....
There are guys that do that here, I have most of thier accounts now. Its so easy to do, one time I waited till one of them left, then I pulled up in my truck/trailer rig, pulled out the blower, and cleaned up the mess, for free. Then I left. When I got home the owner of the Real Estate office had left a message, said he had gotten the # off the side of my trailer, and asked me to start doing his lawn. I took it, and in return I got over 20 accounts of homes for sale that needed mowing while prospective buyers looked them over. It turned out to be one heck of a sweet deal!

:cool:

bubble boy
10-31-2002, 12:41 PM
i can't help, when i'm at an account, but feel like there are people watching AND listening. neighbors, my customer or his or her family...

don't leave anything for a neighbor to notice. and keep swearing to a minimum, no making jokes about clients...

lawnkid
10-31-2002, 03:17 PM
Man, That I have to say is really unprofessional. That looks like a busy corner to me. I sure wouldn't want to leave a property that obvious, that big of a mess. I always blow the clippings in the street back onto the lawn first. I pick out the garbage though. And then i move on to the rest of the property. That's just a rule for me.

Toatlandscape
10-31-2002, 03:29 PM
LGF,

Is it always left this way or is this an isolated incedent? Is it possible that something happened that they did not finish the job. I know that I have had a piece of equipment break on an account that was way out of the way and I couldn't get back until the following week to fix the problem. Just a thought.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Toatlandscape
Is it always left this way or is this an isolated incedent? It is always left like that, I had the digi camera this time.

I went in and tried to get it, but the current "guys" came in at less than 1/4 the price I gave and I thought I might be hitting it to low.

I guess when your happy with low whatever you get that in return.

greenman
10-31-2002, 05:52 PM
Those guys doing that Burger King probably arent getting paid squat, BUT STILL there is no excuse for that. Not only is that very unprofessional, it could be unsafe to drivers to run over that debris.

I see that all the time here. There was a guy the other day driving a brand new f350 with a brand new ztr. The only thing on his trailer was that mower (about a 60", big for the small residents around here). He scalped a couple of yards down to about 1.5" or so. He side-discharged and blew clippings everywhere, in the driveway, beds, out in the street, and just left him. He didnt trim anything either. I parked my truck and just sat there watching him for a while. He would go up and knock on doors. The people would look at his work and send him off. I think he seen me watching him because he left in a hurry:D .

BTW, most of those yards he cant get anyway. There already taken.:)

bluemoon
10-31-2002, 07:35 PM
Need ideas:
My idea is to leave my property clean including street in front of house. Question: you pull up to a property residential or commercial, what do you do with debris already in street in front of house or debris in parking lot. Keep in mind you haven't even started mowing , its just junk like paper trash, cigarette buttes, leaves, basically everyone elses trash.
I feel like I should clean up , but I sure don't get paid for this.
Anyways what is everyone doing?
If debris is bad, I blow first , mow, trim & edge, and then blow again.
Just curious.

dr grass
10-31-2002, 07:52 PM
i would smack my forman in the head with a dull gator blade if i drove by one of my jobs and it looked like that. lol. seriously, that is a great opportunity to pick up a "GOOD COMMERCIAL" account.

shep :cool:

Swampbeast
10-31-2002, 08:06 PM
Just clean everything up, not only does it look better, but it builds good will with the customer.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by dr grass
i would smack my forman in the head with a dull gator blade if i drove by one of my jobs and it looked like that. lol. seriously, that is a great opportunity to pick up a "GOOD COMMERCIAL" account.

LawngodfatherI went in and tried to get it, but the current "guys" came in at less than 1/4 the price I gave and I thought I might be hitting it to low.

I did bid it and it would not have been a good acccount they want the lowest price.

walker-talker
10-31-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by bluemoon
Need ideas:
My idea is to leave my property clean including street in front of house. Question: you pull up to a property residential or commercial, what do you do with debris already in street in front of house or debris in parking lot. Keep in mind you haven't even started mowing , its just junk like paper trash, cigarette buttes, leaves, basically everyone elses trash.
I feel like I should clean up , but I sure don't get paid for this.
Anyways what is everyone doing?
If debris is bad, I blow first , mow, trim & edge, and then blow again.
Just curious.

I had a situation like this a few weeks ago. I pulled up to this house I usually mow. Leaves in the front yard (a small front yard I have my helper mow with the 21 inch while I use the Z in the back) and in the gutter. I told Alfredo to go ahead and bag the front. We get done and I blow the leaves that were in the gutter, out into the street. Keep in mind that all the other houses have leaves in the front lawns and the gutters. The lady across the street comes out and ask if I was going to just blow the leaves in the street or clean them up. I told her that I was going to leave them in the street, then I tried to explain that they were already in the gutter. She threw her hand at me and walked off. At first I was pretty pissed off. Later I thought maybe I should of blown them into the front lawn before I mowed. I feel your pain Bluemoon. It's a tough call and a personally preference.

MATT

Brickman
10-31-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
I did bid it and it would not have been a good acccount they want the lowest price.

It sucks but so many people today ONLY care about the price. At that point you got to say screw em and move on. I found there were plenty of people that wanted a good job to keep me busy, and the dude I sold to, stayed busy too right up to the end of season. With temps in the single digits not much grass grows.

Mowwithhustler's
10-31-2002, 08:46 PM
One time we were leaving this pretty nice neighbor hood after we had just finished mowing a yard, Well we got to the top of the road and there was this kind of like recreation park to our left. Well it had a side walk that ran up in front of this beautiful green fescue, and some beautiful flower beds, well they made pretty nice lines in the yard but they only cut this palce once every 3 weeks, and they blew all the grass on to the side walk where elder people walk, aint that some crap it was piled high up to atleast 2 inches it looked awful i mena i bad reputation for the neigbor hood.

Ur Momma

greenman
10-31-2002, 09:00 PM
Its all about money and IMAGE. If you don't portray a GOOD image then you won't get the GOOD money.

I always pick up debris and blow off hard surfaces of leaves back onto the lawn BEFORE I mow/cleanup.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Mowwithhustler's
One time we were leaving this pretty nice neighbor hood after we had just finished mowing a yard, Well we got to the top of the road and there was this kind of like recreation park to our left. Well it had a side walk that ran up in front of this beautiful green fescue, and some beautiful flower beds, well they made pretty nice lines in the yard but they only cut this palce once every 3 weeks, and they blew all the grass on to the side walk where elder people walk, aint that some crap it was piled high up to atleast 2 inches it looked awful i mena i bad reputation for the neigbor hood.

Ur Momma

I read the whole thing you wrote, then got to that last line and looked that the user name.......I was shocked. Did someone else write the rest or are you trying to be this way? Someone did great all the way up untill "awful" then it went to crap.

If you "can" type like this then why all the BS?

greenman
10-31-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
I read the whole thing you wrote, then got to that last line and looked that the user name.......I was shocked. Did someone else write the rest or are you trying to be this way? Someone did great all the way up untill "awful" then it went to crap.

If you "can" type like this then why all the BS?

Mowwithhustler-Iknow this was already asked, but are you sure that 1 in front of the 8 is supposed to be in your profile?

SLS
10-31-2002, 09:11 PM
LGF,

Maybe that's when the Ritalin kicked in. :D

Brickman
10-31-2002, 11:47 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D :D :D

Either the 1 needs to go, or put it BEHIND the 8. LGF I noticed the same thing.

greenman
10-31-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Brickman
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D :D :D

Either the 1 needs to go, or put it BEHIND the 8. LGF I noticed the same thing.

If the 1 was behind the 8, do you think he would have been able to drive the mower and watch where he was going and not "warp his deck"?:D :D

Brickman
10-31-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by greenman
If the 1 was behind the 8, do you think he would have been able to drive the mower and watch where he was going and not "warp his deck"?:D :D

Some guys that age can be just as bad as a 16 year old, when it comes to not watching what is in front of the deck and hitting trees due to other scenery demands. :D :D :D :D :D

Darryl G
11-01-2002, 01:14 AM
O.K., I agree it looks like crap with all the grass in the road, but what about this.

What if there's a whole bunch of sand on the street side of the curb with grass and weeds growing in it. Do you clean it all up, or just the mess you made when mowing?

I will clean up my mess and clean up a little sand/dirt, but I'm not about to go sweeping the edge of the road with a power broom.

SLS
11-01-2002, 01:34 AM
I just don't feel good about the job unless I pressure wash the street and sidewalk after blowing it off. Also, repainting the yellow stripe is a nice touch.......

;)

rkbrown
11-01-2002, 09:04 AM
SLS:

What ???!!! ...and not fix the pothole in the turning lane, too ??? :D

Swampbeast
11-01-2002, 09:12 AM
You cheap tightwads. You forgot to change the bulb in the streetlamp and reset the timing on the stoplights? Cheapos. :D