PDA

View Full Version : Help! Kohler 25 died, turns over but no compression

Federal Lawn Company
08-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Any ideas where to start looking for problem? Symptoms are like a broken timing chain would cause...just died suddenly, spins over freely with the starter, but acts like no compression (resistance). Happened late yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to investigate it yet. Any help greatly appreciated!

--David

piston slapper
08-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Some engine #'s would help....
Pull the sparkplugs and check to see if the pistons are moving.
Check compression
Remove valve covers to see if the rocker arms are moving
Any oil in the engine?

Federal Lawn Company
08-26-2011, 04:09 PM
OK, I got all my stuff ready for the hurricane and checked it. It appears to be out of time....(no pun intended!). When I crank and engage the PTO, it attempts to spin the blades for a second...pistons are moving...crank is turning going into the PTO clutch..got spark...sprayed ether in carb....no attempt to fire. Any idea if it could have jumped time somehow? It there maybe a gear with a shear pin? I've looked thru the entire Kohler manual online and it doesn't show anything. I feel better, 'cause I was thinking a busted crank....but I don't see any red roses blooming out of the thing yet *smile*. Any advice is greatly appreciated....and yeah, I REALLY need another 60" for backup. I have a 36" Wright Stander with a 17 Kawi that I don't even use...other than with a barrell strapped to it to pick up flowers and trash at the HUGE cemeteries I cut. Anyone have a decent 60 with, say 1000 hours they'd like to trade? Stander has like 150 hours, 80 percent of them run like a Segway without the blades running. I put the SECOND set of blades on it that it has EVER had this spring....but I don't have any small gates to get thru any more...all commercial BIG stuff. Oh yeah...the tag is ripped off the motor on the Exmark, and I've got it written down SOMEWHERE, but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment....but it's a 25 Kohler Command on a (I think) 2007 Exmark...like 1600 hours.
--David

piston slapper
08-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Check the compression with a gauge...
Remove the valve covers to see if the rocker arms are moving.
If all is good, you may have a broken crank gear....Which means a new crank and camshaft.

Federal Lawn Company
08-26-2011, 06:38 PM
I figured if there wasn't a shear pin, that's what I'm probably looking at (can I throw up now?). I still haven't seen any pics or diags, so I have no idea what I'm dealing with for sure, but it couldn't be anything else that I can imagine. I appreciate the input....I'm no super mechanic, I'm a grass cutter, YOU HEAR ME!?!?! (snicker).

Regards to you, Sir,

David Innis
Newport NC

Restrorob
08-26-2011, 07:24 PM
I still haven't seen any pics or diags, so I have no idea what I'm dealing with for sure

If you have a on-line manual you have all the pics and diagrams you need with step by step instructions, Just read the manual. If you don't understand something I'm sure our buddy Slapper will help you out !

Oh..... I fixed this for ya David..... *pun intended*

I'm no super mechanic, I was a grass cutter

Good Luck

Federal Lawn Company
08-26-2011, 09:50 PM
If you have a on-line manual you have all the pics and diagrams you need with step by step instructions, Just read the manual. If you don't understand something I'm sure our buddy Slapper will help you out !

Oh..... I fixed this for ya David..... *pun intended*

Good Luck

He he he! Thanks, Rob, I appreciate that! I think!?!?

--David

Floridalandcare
08-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I have a 27 kohler that was doing the same thing .When the machine was shut down and right before it stops it would kinda run backwards for a second,( anyone know why this happens?) then the next time it was turned over it would just spin like it had zero compression , after about 10 seconds of turning it over you could hear it getting a little compression and it would fire right up . I took it to a mechanic and he told me: first i was running the wrong oil : second when the engine spun backwards it was causing the lifters to pump up and hold the valves open . I completely rebuilt this motor , new lifters , rings , valve job , cylinder honed and sometimes it still does it .

piston slapper
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
The relief valve in the oil pump may be sticking. If you have too much oil pressure the lifters will hold the valves open.
Posted via Mobile Device

Federal Lawn Company
08-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice, Guys. I've either got a bent valve or busted camshaft (at least), and I don't have the time to mess with it...SO far behind. Especially since this Hurricane thing, this place is a disaster. I'm gonna go buy a new PZ 6034 Husq tomorrow if the dealer gets his power back on, and I'm just gonna replace the engine on the Exmark this winter. I need another 60 anyway, and I guess I'm being forced to make the move. Easy come, easy go....except for the easy part! Regards to you all.....

--David

Federal Lawn Company
08-31-2011, 08:57 AM
I put the mulch kit on it last night. That thing is a BEAST...and rides like a Cadillac! Oh well, she'll be filthy-dirty real soon! 36" Wright Stander with 172 hours for sale if anyone needs a LIKE NEW mower. Here's my Craigslist link with more pics & info: http://eastnc.craigslist.org/grd/2574804930.html

David

Restrorob
08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Better check the grease in those caster forks....... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=360170

Federal Lawn Company
08-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Better check the grease in those caster forks....... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=360170

Don't worry...it's STAYED greased and oil changed WAY more than the average person. The only reason there's surface rust on them and the muffler is from the moisture blowing in on it from my carport that has not been closed in yet. Trust me...there's not a thing wrong with the mower.
-David

Restrorob
08-31-2011, 09:05 PM
David, If you clicked the link I posted, you would see I was referring to your new machine......

Federal Lawn Company
08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry, I've had a MAJOR Chainsaw day and I just glanced at it....I'll be SURE to check it tomorrow, especially as I'm the one who uncrated the thing since they were so busy with, yes, chainsaws! That mini-hurricane did a lot of trashing around here on the coast. Hey, I REALLY appreciate you letting me know...I really do....first on my list when I get out there tomorrow. After a couple of courts of coffee! *smile* Regards to you....
--David

Elks
01-08-2012, 12:43 AM
did you get your exmark fixed yet?

Federal Lawn Company
01-08-2012, 08:28 AM
did you get your exmark fixed yet?

Funny you should ask! I've got the old engine out and decided I want to order a new muffler and heat shield. I just hate to put the old one on a brand new engine. After I get those 2 parts, it'll be up and running again real quick....knock on wood! I bought a 20-foot trailer last week, so I'm gonna sell my 16 to a friend. Hope you're doing well, Bro........
David

VegetiveSteam
02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
I have a 27 kohler that was doing the same thing .When the machine was shut down and right before it stops it would kinda run backwards for a second,( anyone know why this happens?)

Two questions. Does your engine have a fuel shut off solenoid on the carburetor? And if so at what rpm are you shutting it off at?