PDA

View Full Version : Chamomile

Tim Wilson
08-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Has anyone tried seeding the Roman Chamomile as a ground cover/lawn? It is supposed to be hardy, mowable and cushy on the feet plus it apparently inhibits weeds like dandelions and quackgrass. I've also heard the same of yarrow. I just put in a large seed order for my nursery and ordered some crimson clover. It really is startling looking. I got it to combine with nitrogen needy plants because it fixes huge amounts of N to the soil but I'm going to experiment with seeding an area with it and keep mowing it to see if it adapts to heading out low like white clover and alsikes.

HayBay
08-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Camomile is pretty you can use it in your teas.
Crimson Clover growes to 18 inches tall, camomile 9- 12 inches.
You will need to keep your crop evenly moist and well drained to get best results as a ground cover, (sprinkler system?)

It is toxic to pets. I am guessing you eat all of yours. So you should not have any issues.
http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/roman-chamomile.aspx

Smallaxe
08-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Interesting concept... keep us posted with pix... :)

Tim Wilson
08-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I do know that Roman chamomile can be kept mowed short and this prevents flowers, the part used in tea. None of my dogs have ever decided to eat it but goats eat it lovingly. I'm dubious about the crimson clover.