PDA

View Full Version : Frost and new grass ....

SystemXpert
10-31-2002, 09:55 AM
Hello again.

I have a question for all the experts. I recently overseeded some bare areas on a lawn. Now its germinating like crazy and all the bare spots are covered with baby seedlings. The only problem is here in SC we are expecting to see temps drop into the 30's around the freezing mark tonight. Basically, we are about to have a frost and I want to know what i can do to protect the baby grass ? Will it survive a few nights of low temps ? Daytime temps are still in the 50's and 60's.

Is my new grass doomed ? I've read conflicting information on this subject. Some people baby grass is fine once it germinates, other people have told me to cover it a night or it will all die.

Ideas ?

syncom2
10-31-2002, 12:36 PM
Yeah, all the back and forths you can read here on LawnSite can really leave one walking away totally confused about what approach is really right and which is incorrect.
I dunno, but I've been told and read that if at all possible you should attempt to hose that frost off the tender plants before sunrise.
As a side note… I re-seeded some areas of my own lawn there towards the tail end of September and that washin' off approach was exactly what I did on them frosty mornings. All seems to be fine, so I'd suggest that if at all possible that you baby and nurse them areas along as long as possible. Especially so if the weather forecasts say that your cold spell is just going to hang around for a few days. Now if you're going to have to coax them along for weeks on end… and going out in the early hours of your day is gonna be taxin' your schedule too much, you can gamble and let 'em go. Then , as times rolls on down the pike, maybe you'll be able to share your good and bad experiences with us!
mb