PDA

View Full Version : B&S experts-advice needed!

MoGreen
08-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Bobcat Leo mower. I'll give you the rundown of it's history:
It came with a 17.5hp Model 31L777 0110E1-had a recall and the dealer replaced with a:
19hp Model 31P877 0121E1.
NOW, the current motor is smoking and going through oil pretty bad......;)
I just acquired a zero turn mower with a 25hp 44N777 0124E1 with 100hrs on it for $500!!
My Leo had an optional 25hp V-twin available when I bought mine, but opted NOT to get it-my mistake!!
I called Bobcat and the tech rep said the optional motor available at the time was model was a 44677A 0201E1.
My question is this:
Where can I go to compare the two motors and see if I can put the newly acquired 44N777 0124E1 on my current Leo deck? The deck was drilled with 2 different bolt patterns from the factory. I have been told that it should fit fine. I need to check the crank diameter and the crank length also. Should I have to look at the amp ratings of the charge system, or anything else?
Thanks for your help-I'm gonna scrap the old mower for parts.
It seems that most B&S motors have a 1 1/8" crank and a 3 5/32" length crank. Can you educate me on this? Thanks in advance!!

piston slapper
08-26-2011, 08:34 PM
The 25 should bolt up just fine. The thing you need to check is the crank size as most engines under 20 hp have a 1 inch crank.
Posted via Mobile Device

MoGreen
08-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Ahhh, so more than likely the crank will be a 1 1/8" over 20hp?
That might present a problem. I also see many engines that are 9amp and 16amp.
I cannot find ANY info on the 44677A-0201-E1 motor Bobcat told me came on my mower as optional equipment!? I was going to compare this to the 44N777-0124-E1 and see if the specs were the same for the two.
I guess the motors were "coded" that way just for Bobcat..?

piston slapper
08-26-2011, 08:49 PM
The 25 should bolt up just fine. The thing you need to check is the crank size as most engines under 20 hp have a 1 inch crank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-26-2011, 08:52 PM
OK, Your first concern should be the crank size as you and Slapper (snuck in on me) mentioned. Then the charging system output/size. If you have electric PTO you need to stay as close as possible to the same output to keep up with the clutch draw from the battery.

You can identify the charging system on each engine by using this chart, Parts look-up will not show exactly which is installed since there are so many different styles used;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Briggs/BriggsStatorIDChart.jpg

After that the throttle controls will need looking at, Some have integrated choke/throttle on one cable and a separate cable for each.....

MoGreen
08-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Yeah, the mower I just bought has separate throttle and choke controls! Mine is all in one...
Where do I look on the motors to see what the charging system might be? (newbie)haha
Thanks again

Restrorob
08-28-2011, 08:44 AM
The charging system wires will exit from under the flywheel cover, In most cases near the starter location. If you have a regulated system the regulator will likely be mounted to the cylinder side cover just in front of the starter. Compare the number and color of the wires and color of the wire connector with the chart posted above.

As long as you match the size charging system you have now you shouldn't have any issues....

piston slapper
08-29-2011, 09:17 AM
The only other thing to consider is whether the muffler will work on your frame.

MoGreen
08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Man, you guys are a WEALTH of info! I like learning about this as I go along...
Without seeing the motor now, I am pretty sure it's regulated. I tried a search for the Bobcat replacement and found the motor on B&S website, but it doesn't mention the crank diameter, length, OR what amp charging system. The mower is about 7 years old? and I cannot find the Bobcat replacement anywhere. The motor on the "Swisher" I bought is not an Intek (haven't heard much good about the Intek's) but it's an ELS V-Twin.
need to do more research!!!!
The muffler WILL fit-I checked it out-thanks!
I have a red, black, grey, green, orange going into the white (6 pole) connector to the ignition.

piston slapper
08-30-2011, 09:33 AM
The ELS V-twin is an Intek with an improved air package.
If the crank is OK , you're good to go.