PDA

View Full Version : Primer bulbs don't last..

Turf Commando
08-26-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm on my 3 bulb on br500 use mid grade gas thinking the ethanol is to blame ...
Anyone else have simular problem?

White Gardens
08-26-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm on my 3 bulb on br500 use mid grade gas thinking the ethanol is to blame ...

I've just broken the second bulb on my 1.5 year old FS90 just the other day. The dealer just told me not to use it.:hammerhead:

In all honesty though, I just choke it and start it without priming it.

Turf Commando
08-26-2011, 11:50 PM
I've just broken the second bulb on my 1.5 year old FS90 just the other day. The dealer just told me not to use it.:hammerhead:

In all honesty though, I just choke it and start it without priming it.

I use it only when choking doesn't provide results.. My dealer says same thing don't use it....lol

Jimslawncareservice
08-26-2011, 11:56 PM
On my echo trimmer I never use it unless it ran out of has. I have a 210 from early 2000s some where. Same bulb. I have 2 deere back pack blowers from 2006. Same on them never use them
Posted via Mobile Device

rreyn1812
08-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Same here! Last year I had to replace the bulb on 2 trimmers and 1 hand blower. This year I just replaced the second set. Gettin ridiculous! Am going to try Sinclair gas since it is supposed to be ethanol free. Here's hoping!

Jimslawncareservice
08-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Ethanol has nothing.g to do with it. Here in mn we have had a blend for atleast 10 years if I remember correctly. No one around here goes through them either. Don't know why you even use them. As hot as its been you shouldn't have problems starting. My 265 and 230 echo start on first or second pull with choke in early morning then hardly any choke of any later on the day. when in peak season they get started 15-20 times a day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
08-27-2011, 05:37 AM
I'm trying out the Stens primers on all of my Stihls. One has been on my edger for about 4 months now. Check back with me next year. My Stihl primer bulbs last about a year.

topsites
08-27-2011, 08:49 AM
The primer bulb is the hand held's equivalent of a fuel bowl, we don't actually need to prime it unless there is no fuel in it,
as a rule the only time it needs priming is if the equipment ran out of fuel.

Now...
Will it make the bulb last forever, no, but it should last longer.

bmc1025
08-27-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm trying out the Stens primers on all of my Stihls. One has been on my edger for about 4 months now. Check back with me next year. My Stihl primer bulbs last about a year.

+1 The Stens seem to be made of a different material, the Stihl bulbs would get cloudy in a few weeks. The Stens are still clear after 2 months. We are talking about a 2.00 part but it gets annoying when they crack halfway through a season.

ed2hess
08-28-2011, 06:09 PM
The primer bulb is the hand held's equivalent of a fuel bowl, we don't actually need to prime it unless there is no fuel in it,
as a rule the only time it needs priming is if the equipment ran out of fuel.

Now...
Will it make the bulb last forever, no, but it should last longer.

I wonder why they put them on the machines I never had to use them on any Echo 2 stroke piece of equipment? I had one the other day that was all cracked up but the unit was running fine. When I pushed on it it just fell apart.

rreyn1812
08-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Checked on Amazon.com and these are available in a 5-pack for about $15 and are listed as good up to 10% ethanol. I know there is question about whether the cracking/deteorating problem is related to ethanol, but I believe it is unless someone presents "good" data that "proves" it isn't. The next time I need some, I will try the Stens variety like Richard and see if they do better than the stock Stihl ones. If it does fix the problem, then I don't know why the Stihl folks can't change their bulb material. From the automotive folks at Nissan, which makes a Flex Fuel vehicle (I got one of these, a Titan), the thing that qualifies them as Flex Fuel is the rubber materials in the fuel system have been upgraded to handle ethanol (E85) fuels. This says to me the rubber materials will deteriorate due to ethanol in the gas and this is what I'm seeing on my Stihl trimmers & blower, and it has gotten worse this year. Just my thoughts/opinion! :)

Richard Martin
08-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I wonder why they put them on the machines I never had to use them on any Echo 2 stroke piece of equipment? I had one the other day that was all cracked up but the unit was running fine.

If the fuel drains out of the lines or the fuel pump (also known as the diaphram) then you have to prime the lines and pump with fuel before the system will work. Since these types of carbs don't rely on air moving through the venturi to create vaccum and pull the fuel into the engine they have no need for a float or fuel bowl. The carb on these small engines is almost like a minature fuel injection system.

There is a pulse that comes back from the crankcase via tiny passages (and sometimes hoses) and as the it pulses back and forth it moves the diaphram which pushes fuel through the jet and right into the carb throat. As you open the throttle and allow more air/fuel in the engine spins faster making pulses go faster to the disphram which in turn cause more fuel to be injected.

Hogjaw
08-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Started mixing enough gas for only a couple of weeks.

Echo blower recently died

Redmax, which I really like - had to put new carb on couple weeks back.

Mechanics say ethanol playing havoc with the lawn tractors also.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-28-2011, 11:40 PM
They make a bulb that can handle ethanol better
I bought dozen for less $15
So far never had replace the new style ones
Yesterday I replace my bothers trimmer bulb for him
He bought a sthil one and compare to mine
Mine felt thicker So he returned his

Think your dealer knows they make better ones but want install cheaper ones so they know wont last and you will be back the dealer making money on the repair

Hogjaw
08-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Did you buy locally or on internet? Would appreciate supplier name or site.

Thanks.

They make a bulb that can handle ethanol better
I bought dozen for less $15
So far never had replace the new style ones
Yesterday I replace my bothers trimmer bulb for him
He bought a sthil one and compare to mine
Mine felt thicker So he returned his

Think your dealer knows they make better ones but want install cheaper ones so they know wont last and you will be back the dealer making money on the repair

2stroked
08-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Well at least they're easy to replace. I have replaced my fair share of primer bulbs working on weedeaters and such.

ed2hess
08-29-2011, 10:53 PM
If the fuel drains out of the lines or the fuel pump (also known as the diaphram) then you have to prime the lines and pump with fuel before the system will work. Since these types of carbs don't rely on air moving through the venturi to create vaccum and pull the fuel into the engine they have no need for a float or fuel bowl. The carb on these small engines is almost like a minature fuel injection system.

There is a pulse that comes back from the crankcase via tiny passages (and sometimes hoses) and as the it pulses back and forth it moves the diaphram which pushes fuel through the jet and right into the carb throat. As you open the throttle and allow more air/fuel in the engine spins faster making pulses go faster to the disphram which in turn cause more fuel to be injected.

I got a couple disk from Stihl that I am working thru.....it is almost a mild wonder that these carb work. My recent discover of adjusting the needle valve lever has help my ability to rebuild these units. Thanks

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Did you buy locally or on internet? Would appreciate supplier name or site.

Thanks.

I buy wholesale but the price i gave was retail Think seen them in J thomas