PDA

View Full Version : software Again

David Shaw
10-31-2002, 12:50 PM
Does anybody use the dynascape software by Garden Graphics? I got thier QuoteWriter freebie and I kinda like it. I'm considering the purchase of a design software. Any opinions are appreciated.

My wife just asked me something and I don't have any idea so here goes, if it's a dumb question say so I guess. Does anyone ever upgrade thier software and sell thier old stuff? Thanks Dave:blush:

Bob Shoaff
11-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Did you ever find a software to go with? I am in the process of searching also and would be interested in what you have found.
Thanks...

David Shaw
11-04-2002, 07:58 PM
No not yet. I did a search and found some other threads. Like I said I use the QuoteWriter from Garden Graphics. I like it very much and so am interested in thier Dynascape. It looks very easy to master and does a lot for you. But it isn't 3D and it is quite expensive $1200.00 I think or right around there. Let me know if you find anything. Dave

AGLA
11-04-2002, 09:41 PM
I got that Dynascape Demo CD. I also use quote writer all the time.

I am a registered landscape architect and do all my drawing on CAD. We had already purchased Landcadd when I saw Dynascape.

I learned ACAD in school and have many years of experience with it, so I am past the learning curve on it and will continue to use it.
Dynascape grabbed my attention because the files are ACAD compatable and it is way more user friendly. I would recommend having a serious look at it for those two reasons. It looks to me to be the best program that combines ease of use and integration with ACAD which means you can use files from engineers, architects, and surveyors.

Almost no professionals are using 3d. The non-cheesy programs are way to time consuming to produce and the cheesy ones look cheesy.

A black & white line drawing (or blueprint) is still the most professional looking plan. Throw some colored pencil or Design marker on it and it will beat any color rendering program in making you look professional.

I almost never use color and I make a living on plans. I don't do photo imaging "dreamscapes" either. I draw plans to build landscapes with and the clients know it.

I see too many designers that are getting themselves sucked into believing the photo image is the final product. Have you checked out any of these photo image landscape design services on the net? If you see one that shows a built landscape at all, let alone one that looks like their "after" picture, let me know. I have yet to find one that does not leave the rendered picture as the final product.

Lanelle
11-04-2002, 10:50 PM
A photo-image is only a sales aid, not a plan to use for construction. The accurately-scaled 2-d plan is necessary for all involved. And I have done photo-images coupled with plans that resulted in finished projects that looked very similar to the created photo. The key is to not 'oversell' the size and look of the plant material in the photo. People who are accustomed to reading plans don't need much in the way of further representations of the project, but many homeowners see a plan as some circles on a piece of paper. They are clueless, don't know how to visualize the plan and remain unexcited about the end result. A photo-image or perspective sketch gives them something that they can relate to and 'own' in their mind. That makes the close much easier. So, the image has its place, but the plan remains as the key communication of the design.

AGLA
11-05-2002, 06:14 AM
I agree that photo imaging has its place. I just think that too many are substituting it for plans and that some think that if you can make a picture of it you can build it.
It does not replace a plan. In fact, I think you have to have a plan in your head to use it.
It is a good sales tool. It is one more way to communicate to the client.

hoyboy
11-05-2002, 07:47 AM
AGLA-

We've used Dynascape for the past 3 years now. My staff landscape architect had never really even used a computer before. All our plans were done by hand. He was proficient with it within a year...able to use it confidently within a month.

I can't really compare it to any other plan software since it is all we've used. But we're happy.

We skipped on the whole imaging fad for the same reasons you stated. It just doesn't look professional. In my humble opinion of course. I'm sure there are some people here that will prove me wrong and I'm happy to be proven wrong because it sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe technology can improve a little more before we take another look. The CAD programs have improved immensely over the past few years. It used to be that anything computer printed looked poor...curved lines were just a series of small straight lines joined together, etc.

It's interesting that you two are using Quotescape. I purchased it along with Dynascape but have never really used it...partly because we we're just working out the basics of Dynascape at the time and never really went back to it. It sounds like it's worth while? I also have ClipVisual with the Projects mode and am considering using it next year.

Has anyone had any experience with either Clip Projects and Quotescape to give me a comparison?

I know Quotescapes ties in with Dynascape, which would be a plus. But Clip Projects ties in with billing, which would also be a plus. Hmmm.... any thoughts out there?

Thanks

Dan Norton

David Shaw
11-05-2002, 04:21 PM
I agree that a drawing looks more professional. It's just that some homeowners don't see the same thing in a drawing that we do. I think the 3d image IF it's good would help. I,m fairly new and it takes me a while to turn out a drawing that I like, and thought software would speed things up. I got a dynascape demo on my quoteWriter and it looks quite easy and quick. For those of you who use the quoteWriter, I require a deposit on my landscaping jobs. Is there a way of putting that on the quote writer and subtracting it off the final bill. I haven't figured out how.Dave

AGLA
11-06-2002, 09:11 PM
Hoyboy,

I am using Quotewriter not Quotescape. It is pretty much a specialized spreadsheet that allows you to quickly input materials at the prices you want to charge and does the math.

David,

I use it to do my calculations, but type up a separate proposal contract to send to the client with all the terms and any other fees. It saves a ton of time and avoids math errors.

David Shaw
11-07-2002, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I've been using it for my proposal and again when finished for the final billing. I had thought of using two separate processes. But I don't see how it can save time two basically write up the job twice. Dave

AGLA
11-07-2002, 06:56 PM
You save time on looking up prices and calculating markup and also don't make math errors. We bottom line prices by category, so there is not that much to type out.