PDA

View Full Version : Exmark LZ HP - shuts down when parking brake disengaged

ohuett
08-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a Exmark Lazer HP (Model LHP4821KA, S/N 279100) that shuts down as soon as I disengage the parking brake. I replaced the parking brake sensor b/c in my logical brain that was the first thing to try...but it didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions on what to try next or how to troubleshoot the problem? Thanks.

alexschultz1
08-27-2011, 06:33 PM
.... -_- wth.. maybe try looking at the starter relay switch? there is a kill switch connected to the ignition so that you can only start it when the parking break is on. does it shut off like you turned the key and shut it off or does it bog down and kill itself?

StihlMechanic
08-27-2011, 06:37 PM
seat switch

ohuett
08-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Where is the seat switch located? And is there any way to test it to know that it's bad or is it cheap enough to just replace it and see if it fixes the problem?

vencops
08-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Where are your controls when it shuts off? My Bobcat will do the same thing, if the control arms are in the folded position (folded in).

Just a thought.

ohuett
08-29-2011, 09:20 AM
My controls are all the way out...if I move them in while the parking brake is on or off, it will kill the engine.

Can someone tell me where the seat switch is located?

corey4671
08-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Under the seat
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
08-29-2011, 09:59 AM
There is also a sensor for the arms. So if the brake OS on you pull them in it shuts off. You can jump either of there with a short wire to each one. That way you can eliminate each one and find out which one it is. It may be neither. You could have a pinched wire. Also make sure your seat is all the way down. I have had that happen when I has a couple hps
Posted via Mobile Device

j-fuhrm
08-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I had the exact same problem with a Ferris last month. Turned out to be a fuse. Check them first. Use a meter to check it not your eyes. I would also contact X mark tech support. My Ferris guy walked me thru it in about 10 minutes

ohuett
08-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I've seen in a couple other posts that people check the seat sensor. I guess I'll check that next. Obviously it's under the seat but can anyone tell me exactly where? (I'm a computer geek...not a mechanic...so I appreciate the help)

landpride
08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
go to the Exmark website and download the operators manual. May have that information in there.

Big Bad Bob
08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
On some mowers the seat switch is inside the seat and requires you to replace the entire seat. It is designed so you can't release the brake while you are not in the seat. There should be a couple of wires going under and into the seat. Disconnect the connector on that wire and jump the 2 leads coming out of the frame, not the ones to the seat. If it's the switch, it should run.

ohuett
08-29-2011, 01:15 PM
OK...I came home for lunch and looked under my seat. I found the seat switch. Is there some way to test this to know if it's bad or should I just replace it b/c it's a pretty cheap part? Thanks.

Cutter1
08-29-2011, 01:18 PM
bob just told you how. pull the connection, run a wire basically bypassing the switch itself. It will "trick" the mower into thinking its engaged. If it runs like that the seat switch is bad. I would change the two fuses also. They are right next to your seat beside the key start.

Jimslawncareservice
08-29-2011, 01:20 PM
In a previous post I said you can use a wire to jump it. Unplug it and run a wire from each of the plug ins
Posted via Mobile Device

ohuett
08-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Sorry everyone...I didn't refresh my screen before I posted my reply so I didn't see that you had already told me how to test it. I'll jumper the switch tonight and see if that's the problem. Thanks for the help.

Big Bad Bob
08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Sorry everyone...I didn't refresh my screen before I posted my reply so I didn't see that you had already told me how to test it. I'll jumper the switch tonight and see if that's the problem. Thanks for the help.

'Salright.

j-fuhrm
08-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Did you check the fuses yet, or call Exmark tech support, I strongly suggest that you troubleshoot with a meter before you start replacing parts, I am speaking from experience, I spent over $150 and lost a week of mowing because i kept trying new parts only to find out it was a fuse.