PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Dodge Ram 4X4 Hemi

summitgroundskeeping
10-31-2002, 04:31 PM
We're looking at a new truck this year to buy pretty soon. We are going to possible plow as a sub for one of our friend's companies. We found a red 2003 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed (want a long bed) standard cab (don't want ext. or quad cab) with the new Hemi. I have heard really nice things about that new motor and I was wondering want you guys KNOW (not heard from a freind of a friend's brother type thing) about these new trucks. I have only sat inside the new 1/2 ton Rams and liked the space but not the interior. Are these good trucks? We can pick this one up for about $27,000 and 0% financing for 5 years so that is the main reason we are looking at this one.

SIG
10-31-2002, 05:52 PM
I can tell you this much-- I have a 1999 F350 Super Duty. This is the greatest truck I have ever Owned! 101,000 Miles- never had to have a front end alignement, still has not needed Brakes. I have a 8 ft Western Pro Plow on it and pull my trailer all the time. It really has been a good truck. My friends with Dodge's can't say the same thing (although I have never owned a Dodge). But I would tell you to really look at the Ford. I paid 23,200 for my Truck in 1999. I ordered mine so I had to wait almost 6 months, but well worth it!

Randy J
10-31-2002, 06:19 PM
Check out this post; Dodge Hemi (http://207.44.158.62/~admin2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35900&highlight=Dodge+hemi) . Personally I'm a diesel fan, but the hemi sounds like a great motor. And you sure can't be 0% interest on a new vehicle.

Randy

Brickman
10-31-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by SIG
I can tell you this much-- I have a 1999 F350 Super Duty. This is the greatest truck I have ever Owned! 101,000 Miles- never had to have a front end alignement, still has not needed Brakes. I have a 8 ft Western Pro Plow on it and pull my trailer all the time. It really has been a good truck. My friends with Dodge's can't say the same thing (although I have never owned a Dodge). But I would tell you to really look at the Ford. I paid 23,200 for my Truck in 1999. I ordered mine so I had to wait almost 6 months, but well worth it!

Over 127K and still on the first set of brakes and no front end work, or alignment at all. The first 100K were doing LC in town, stop and go traffic. The 27K have been towing a huge trailer with the complete load weighing more than Ford thinks should be carried on a F 450. I only hope that when I do do brakes that the new pads are identical to OEM.

I love the truck.

FORD RULES

JasperStorm
10-31-2002, 09:29 PM
Is there any proof that hemi heads are of any benefit in this day and age? This reeks of Detroit marketing (maybe Dodge was frightened by the GMC's "We're Professional Grade" marketing- "Yer a desk job candyazz yuppie, but you'll be a real man if you drive our alloy wheeled 4x4, er, I mean AWD, and don't be suprised if someone dumps a bucketful of dirt into the back of yer truck."

You're not in '69-70 anymore, Dorothy

CT18fireman
10-31-2002, 10:00 PM
The Hemi head is a better overall design for efficiency. Whether running a carb or modern EFI it should result in more power and better mileage.

Even Toyota made hemi heads in some 4 cylinders in the early 80's. Sparkplugs went right through the valve cover. Same result better power and mileage.

Randy J
10-31-2002, 10:15 PM
Heck I wouldn't care if the cylinders are square if it gets the mileage and horsepower discussed in the thread I referenced above.

Randy

dforbes
10-31-2002, 11:37 PM
sounds like a good engine, but I am also a diesel man. I have a 1994 3500 dodge with a diesel engine. Has 220,000 miles and hundreds of hours pushing snow. 14.5 miles per gallon loaded or empty. I have a snow removal contract which requires me to be there when they get a half inch of snow till its completely clean after snow quits. I can run 34 hours on a tank of fuel. Like it so much I bought a 2002 dodge quadcab with the diesel. Kept the old truck still has a lot of life. I wouldn't ever buy a new truck that wasn't diesel. You may want to look at this engine also. good luck in your desision.
Dennis

AltaLawnCare
11-01-2002, 02:12 PM
Ddoge needs to stuff that Hemi is a Dakota, or better yet, a Sebring.:D

Cummins is doing a great job of Hauling Dodge Azz.

Brickman
11-02-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by AltaLawnCare

Cummins is doing a great job of Hauling Dodge Azz.

That is awesome, but the COOL thing with the PS is that it does a great job of hauling MORE than just the trucks azz around. :D

Randy J
11-02-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Brickman
That is awesome, but the COOL thing with the PS is that it does a great job of hauling MORE than just the trucks azz around. :D

Much as I hate to admit it, that's a good comeback!:eek:

AltaLawnCare
11-03-2002, 10:40 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words.:D

1998.5 3500 stock pulling a '88 Marmon (17,000lbs) on a 40'Iron Dog (10,600lbs)
Combined gross over 35,000 lbs.
;)

Randy J
11-03-2002, 03:34 PM
That's impressive! C'mon Ford guys, let's see your photos. Sorry, Brickman, but I think this one beats the photos of your truck with load.

Randy

Brickman
11-03-2002, 04:47 PM
Manufactured picture.

Easy to tell, if that was a stock truck the butt would be dragging on the ground. I have seen plenty of stock Didges with much less load than that sag more than what this one is. The only way this STOCK Dodge has that hooked to his truck is if the jack is supporting the weight, and he just backed under the trailer for the pic.

In Alta's own words, this is a totally stock set up. Gotta again at your own game. :D :D :D :D :D :D

mdb landscaping
11-03-2002, 05:47 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

mdb landscaping
11-03-2002, 05:49 PM
heres another good one:D

odin
11-03-2002, 05:50 PM
You guys do take your trucks seriously:D

summitgroundskeeping
11-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Com'on on guys. I specifically asked about the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with the Hemi. I pull landscape trailers with power equipment and landscaping materials. I just want to know if these are good trucks that can plow, have good MPG (supposedly 16-18), can tow, maneuverable, and are okay to drive normally when I'm not working. Any of you guys have real experience with that?:angry:
Please if not... don't ramble on about your specific brand of loyalty.

AltaLawnCare
11-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Brickman

Easy to tell, if that was a stock truck the butt would be dragging on the ground.

Depends on how the load is distributed on the trailer, how much tongue weight.

landscaper3
11-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey if Mopar can say its a HEMI!!!!
Its gotta be a great motor!!!!
In the 60's and 70"s NO other motor could catch the hemi! In the car and driver report the same car and driver you see on the news stands and tv (Quoted) top ten fasest cars of 1970 1st was a HEMI. Due to the hemisfericle head design made the monster motors fast! So if mopar kept to the legendary design there gonna have another mean motor!

Brickman
11-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by AltaLawnCare
Depends on how the load is distributed on the trailer, how much tongue weight.

Absolutely right, but this truck has most of the weight on the front of the trailer.
Easy to tell, go back and look at the pic, by far the majority of the weight is on the tongue of the trailer. With the front axle of that truck at the front of the trailer, those I - 6 engines Randy likes so good are very heavy, hence a ton of tongue weight.
I will be the first to admit a stock Ford would hang down in the butt too, but so would this Dodge IF, IF, IF, IF the trailer were resting all its weight on the truck.

MDB for once you and I agree on a truck issue. :D
They have a good engine, but.............................

If I was planning on pulling this load on this rig because of weight distribution I would have loaded the tractor with the back duals right on the end of the trailer. This way the weight is centered just ahead of the trailer axle, it should ride good this way.

hosejockey2002
11-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Summitgroundskeeping:

I feel your pain. You know how some guys get when it comes to brand loyalty. I think most of it is based on their personal experience. IMO, when it comes down to it all three brands are so close in performance and capability stock from the factory that your choice can probably boil down to which truck you like the best as far as looks and comfort. As far as the new Dodge Hemi engines are concerned, they are so new that I don't know that you will find many guys with any experience with them. 16-18 mpg?? I would be really surprised unless you are talking about running straight and level on the freeway with no load. The 345 hp sounds like a lot, but that is up around 5000 rpm. I'm not sure where peak torque is, but if its anything like other late model gas engines it will be up around 3500 rpm or so, so I don't know how usable that torque would be. If I were to spend the big bucks on a new 3/4 ton pickup to plow snow and pull trailers with, it would be diesel, because they have the guts at low speed where you need it. If I were just a poser who wanted a truck with big tires but never a need to do any work with it, I'd get a gas engine. Speaking of gas, I've probably just thrown a little more on the fire!:blob2:

Randy Scott
11-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by summitgroundskeeping
Com'on on guys. I specifically asked about the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with the Hemi. I pull landscape trailers with power equipment and landscaping materials. I just want to know if these are good trucks that can plow, have good MPG (supposedly 16-18), can tow, maneuverable, and are okay to drive normally when I'm not working. Any of you guys have real experience with that?:angry:
Please if not... don't ramble on about your specific brand of loyalty.

Relax,the trucks are fricken' 2003's. Nobody is going to have had enough time on them or to have put enough miles on them to give them a fair shake. Any info is going to be BS or speculation anyways.
Personal opinion, diesel only. They don't put gas motors in semi's or dump trucks or ANY truck that is going to be used to get something done and get it done with reliability. I don't see gas motors in skidsteers or loaders either. WORK vehicles and related equipment get diesel! Pickup trucks are turning that direction very much so. Like horsejockey said, you need low end torque hauling heavy loads, you don't get that with gas motors. Enough said.

This should rattle you gas guys! Giddyup! :D

Swampbeast
11-04-2002, 02:03 AM
OKAY! Finally! I can get on here, my computer wouldnt let me get on this thread for some reason. :confused:

First off, that dumb *** picture. You must be joking. Come on! This semi truck has almost all of its weight in front of the trailer axles, and the truck isnt sagging at ALL?! You could put a 1000 pound weight on the tailgate of any truck (Ford included) and it would sag (barely, but it would sag) and this one isnt sagging at all, even under that huge load? Doesnt this seem a little suspicious? Also, look closely right behind that Dodges back tires, what do you see? Looks to me like trailer lifts, on the ground holding the front of the trailer up! More Dodge propaganda.

Secondly, this is to whom it may concern, dont get ticked at us with our brand loyalty! We are having lots of fun argueing about this, and if you dont like that, DONT READ IT! Its that simple. Ford Freaks and Dodge Dummies and Chevy Chasers will always argue, its a part of the great American culture! Like baseball and apple pie, crazy truck owners argue!

This is simple as well, remember this and you cant go wrong. Ford rules, Dodge sucks, Chevy sucks even worse, and gas, well, dont get me started on gas!

Seriously, get a diesel, both the mighty powerstroke and the cummins are excellent engines (the Powerstroke is better though) but stay completely away from teh Duramax. It really sucks. It may be more expensive to buy diesel at first, but they pay for themselves by being reliable, long lasting, and pulling darn near anything that you can ask it to! I have a 1995 F-350 with 241000 miles on it, that will out tow darn near anything out there, including the new trucks! And it still runs just as good as the day it was bought!
What I am saying is, dont get the Hemi. I had a second cousin on my grandfathers side who had a brother that had a friend who's father had a friend who's uncle.....just kidding!:D No, my Dad had a Dodge 2500 Hemi once upon a time, ( I drove it a lot) and it got bad mileage, didnt tow so well, (it was fast though) and it seemed like it was constantly in the shop. He sold it and got a F-250 diesel.

FORD RULES!!!!

:cool:

AltaLawnCare
11-04-2002, 11:28 AM
I got more pitures,...
But, since everyones getting so uptite, I'm not gonna post them anymore.

I guess its OK to brag about your truck, and others like it, only if its not a Dodge! :rolleyes:

I won't show the pictures of Drag races, sled pulls, documented Dyno tests, pulling a jumbo jet, etc. :(
Or my personal favorite the pictures of the pistons and rods of a Powerstroke, Duramax and Cummins side by side.

I'll go away now, and leave this friendly little battle fully defeated. And thes past three years, here I was thinking I had a good truck....oh well Silly Me!

I'm just gonna have to face the music that everything I own is junk.

Worst of all is the fact that I tied up this thread from all the many who I'm sure has many road miles on a new Hemi....:cry:

Swampbeast
11-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Now hold on a second! I wanna see a picture of a truck pulling a jumbo jet!
Sorry if I got a little to excited there, just got carried away in the heat of the moment! :D
I am not saying pickups cant haul that stuff, I know my truck could tow a semi, and a jumbo jet, if it was modified enough. What I am saying is a stock truck couldnt do those things. If we get into modified equipment we get into a whole different ring.
Please, post all the pics you want, just dont be surprised if we Ford Freaks find every inaccuracy in them!
I would like to see that picture about the ramrods though, could you post that one? I have always wondered just how much thicker those things are.

(Ford still rules)

Randy J
11-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Swampbeast, they had the connecting rods at a Cummins open house I went to once. They are MUCH larger (Cummins than the Powerstroke). Not that I've ever heard of a Powerstroke breaking a connecting rod (at least not without hydrolocking)! I don't think it's that big a deal, but to me, it just goes to show how much more heavy duty the Cummins is compared to the Powerstroke.
I had a friend that used to have a 1st generation Dodge/Cummins. He turned up the pump as far as it would go (not too far on the 1st gens) and did a lot of major hauling. He has routinely pulled massive logging skidders, Semi tractors, and even pulled a semi & trailer out of the ice once (freezing rain iced tires to ground). Of course he was using a stretch rope and got a good run at it to get it out. I'm sure you can come up with just as good of Powerstroke stories. The real trick is though, he had 200,000+ miles on the truck when he sold it after wrecking it. It was rebuilt (truck, not the motor) and it's still going strong.
AltaLawnCare, don't sweat it. We'll just let the Powerstroke boys think they got an engine that can run with a Cummins. Although there are obviously exceptions, law of averages say you'll be driving your Dodge with the original Cummins long after their Powerstroke has been replaced.
Summitgroundskeeping, sorry about the bastardization of your thread. Did you look at the other thread I linked to in my first post? That's probably about as much information as you're going to get right now as it's such a new motor.
Swampbeast, your father must not keep trucks long if he's already had a hemi motor in a truck and sold it! The motors only been out a few months.
Randy

Swampbeast
11-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Thats kinda what I always thought, maybe the Cummins jsut went overkill on the pushrods, but I would still like to see it.
Oh yeah, I got lots of stories like that. Everything from yanking a bulldozer out of mud to towing a school bus out of some high water on the road.
He he! Nope! We didnt keep it long at all! Three weeks and two hours exactly! It sucked that bad. Tried towing a trailer with it, yuck. Went back to diesels. (and Ford) And my Dad rarely keeps cars longer than 6 months, he just gets whatever he wants to drive, then sells it back to the dealer a few months later! I wish I could do that.......I will say this for the Hemi though, it was one FAST truck! I could smoke lotsa other cars with that thing. So its not a total loss. Does Hemi have a website by any chance?

Oh by the way, a friend of mine just bought a 2003 Dodge 3500 dually. (with the Cummins of course) He and I are going to wait for all this dang rain to dry up, then we are gonna hitch em up back end to back end, and see how it goes! Will let you all know how it goes..........:D

And Randy, 200,000 miles on a diesel truck is nothing. Mine has 241000 on it now.

Yall have a good day!

AltaLawnCare
11-04-2002, 06:02 PM
I didn't take that picture, I scanned it out of a magazine. It was from a TDR magazine about a year ago. I went back and thumbed through old issues and found some members' pictures. That one claims to be stock. Some of the others don't say one way or the other.
I used to have a website address for the pictures of the engine components, but, I can't find it now. I can't go to the TDR site and search because my membership is out.:(

I've seen many threads where fords are yukked up, but let one little post brag about Dodge, and World War Three starts! :confused:
Dodge must be the black sheep of the truck family.
BTW, although not much weight,...I've had my bed full of fertilizer, and the 16' trailer loaded with the Kioti, aerator, and a walk behind aerator, and the truck sat level,...
rode great too.:)

I was hoping this could be a little harmless fun, but you guys are taking it way too seriously. Yuk up those Fords, Yuk it up.

Too much drama for poor ole Billy.:sleeping:

Brickman
11-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Alta I am sorry if I hurt your feelings in my posting about that pic.

I also retain former opinion that there is no way that pic is real. That trailer is not hooked to the truck or we would be able to tell it from the rear sag. I have no problem with Dodge guys braggin, just expect me to brag too. :D Cummins is a good engine, I wish I could have a 12 valve in my F 250. I don't think the PS is as bad as some people would think.

For the record I smoked a Dodge from a light Sunday a week ago. He was almost a full truck length a head of me by the time I noticed the light turned and he was rollin. He tried his darnedest, but alas, it wasn't enough.

I have a friend with a cranked up Dodge that has only had one PS kick his booty. So they can all be made to out do the other one. It just sucks to be the guy that just got his booty whupped.

AltaLawnCare
11-04-2002, 06:17 PM
Search ersults for "Ford" (53 Threads).
Ford (http://207.44.158.62/~admin2/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=174156&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

Search results for "Dodge" (36 Threads).
Dodge (http://207.44.158.62/~admin2/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=174148&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

Read and see for yourselves. Yuk it up, Yuk it up!

Now that friends,is a bunch of Crap.

Maybe Dodge owners aren't so insecure we have to keep trying to convince the world and ourselves we have the absolute best truck ever built.

CT18fireman
11-04-2002, 10:21 PM
I got a guy that could build a Yugo engine to outrun a Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, etc. What is the point? Brickman admits the value of all trucks and discusses his own truck's faults. Run what you want. They will all get the job done, whether pulling a trailer or hauling a load.

I think it is mostly regional. Around here Ford is the dominant heavy work truck. All three motors are detuned for the American market. I think the Dodge is detuned the most and is also easiest to gain HP without significant mods. John Dimartino on Plowsite has one that puts out nice power.

Arnold
11-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Hemi was a bad azz motor back then, my Dad had a few. I'll chat with him in the next few days and let you know what he thinks. He was checking into a crated Hemi when they came availably but said it was cheaper to find and rebuild an old one. At that price it seems like a steal to me I would do some checking on the gear ratios on the trans and rear end.

Swampbeast
11-05-2002, 12:24 AM
Well Altalawncare, I was going to apologize for offending you by being to zealous about Fords, but I dont think I will now.
Who are you to sit there and accuse us of "yuk'ing it up" when you sit there and put out stuff about Dodges as well? That seems like the pot calling the kettle black!
And we arent insecure, we are conviced that the Fords are the best, and now we just have to go and convert the Dodge heathens to the correct way of thinking.
Also, I dont know about all of yall, but until Altalawncare decided to take this all personally, I was having fun bantering with everyone, Randy and Brickman and I have been going back and forth for two weeks now. This is just a bit of fun, something to do while the slow season sets in. So calm down.
Or I could be wrong and dear Mr. Alta just has a very dry sarcastic sense of humor, I dont know! :D

Keep it fun, keep it light. Its just trucks after all.

Yes, it is regional, but here in Houston its pretty evenly divided between Ford and Chevy, Dodge isnt as heavy a player as those two.

AltaLawnCare
11-05-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
OKAY!

First off, that dumb *** picture. You must be joking. Come on!

This is simple as well, remember this and you cant go wrong. Ford rules, Dodge sucks, Chevy sucks even worse, and gas, well, dont get me started on gas!

FORD RULES!!!!

Oh, But its OK for you to take it personally!:confused:
No, NO.
Now this is the Pot calling the Kettle Black. Or maybe I do have a twisted dry sence of sarcastic humor??

Find anything, anywhere where I referred to anything about any other make as Dumb***, or propaganda, or saying anything sucked.....
Its not out there.

AltaLawnCare
11-05-2002, 09:10 AM
That seems like the pot calling the kettle black!
And we arent insecure, we are conviced that the Fords are the best, and now we just have to go and convert the Dodge heathens to the correct way of thinking.
Also, I dont know about all of yall, but until Altalawncare decided to take this all personally, I was having fun bantering with everyone..
:confused:
I believe the above post proves who took it personally first.
Or I could be wrong and dear Mr. Alta just has a very dry sarcastic sense of humor, I dont know! :D
:confused:
Dear Mr. Alta lost the dry sarcastic sense of humor, you presume he has (after reading one post??) after being brutally attacked by the SwampBeast.

Keep it fun, keep it light. Its just trucks after all.
:)
Now, this makes sense.

AltaLawnCare
11-05-2002, 09:16 AM
Well Altalawncare, I was going to apologize for offending you by being to zealous about Fords, but I dont think I will now.

But, I will..:D

I apologize for being over zealous about Dodge, and stirring up Beast. And also posting a photo that I can't verify authentic or not.:(

I will make it up to you all by completing my Mustang and blowing as many Dodges and Chevys off the raosd as possible.
:angel:

Randy J
11-05-2002, 09:47 AM
"I will make it up to you all by completing my Mustang and blowing as many Dodges and Chevys off the raosd as possible."

Well now if you really want to blow others off the road, you should be building a 'Cuda, or Charger, or some other Dodge!

Randy

Swampbeast
11-05-2002, 10:47 AM
I am sorry Altalawncare. Forgive me? I went back and reread lots of that, sorry for all that.
Dodge does make a good truck, I personally prefer Ford trucks though.
I didnt say you had a "twisted" sense of humor, I said dry and sarcastic. There is nothing wrong with a dry and sarcastic sense of humor.
What type of Mustang?

AltaLawnCare
11-05-2002, 11:14 AM
Yea, I added the "Dry" for effect LOL.

Its that 70 convertible. It actually wont be anything fast, just a 4 speed, and 4 barrell...so it can keep up. :)

I would someday like to get a mid 90s GT. I drove one, a '92 it was built (street legal), with a richmond gear transmission. At the track it would out run a lot of drag only cars with slicks on it. He could take off, and jam through the gears without clutching!

I drove it normally on road, and it was smooth and drove well too, didn't feel like a hot rod. This was back in '95, and I would have bought it but didn't have the money.

The problem with all the older cars are they don't handle, have the brakes, or the benefits of fuel injection like the newer models.

The new 4.6s run good too.

AltaLawnCare
11-05-2002, 11:33 AM
This picture was taken about 10 years ago, and it still looks like this today. LOL.
I've got to finish this car!
1970 Mustang (http://community.webshots.com/photo/22451208/27644627TVxfXlgeuR)

Swampbeast
11-05-2002, 12:14 PM
True, the old Mustangs dont handle so well. Thats why I took my 68 and changed everything about it, the only thing that is stock is the frame and the body. Thats it! Steering, suspension, shocks, brakes, engine, tranny, seats, interior, roll cage, turbo, nitro, tires, rims, everything is all modified. So far we (me and the car club I am a member in) have a 9 second 1/4 mile. Working on getting a 8.75 second time! 6 speed racing tranny.
We also have a 73 Stang, just put a 460 big block in her.
Hmmm, looks like you need to sand her down some, and then paint her. Does it run? Cause if it doesnt, I would suggest replacing the engine with a monster. Like a 460. That would be cool!
I saw a 5.0 (I think in the 80s?) Mustang run a 1/4 mile in 5.32 seconds. Just think about that. Think how horrifyingly fast that is. 5.32 seconds. I would wet my pants!
I heard that Lingenfelter (Corvette tuner in Ft. Worth Texas) tunes 2002 Corvettes into 800 HP, 800 Ft/LB monsters that go from 0-60 in 1.97 seconds and run the 1/4 in 2 point something seconds. Top speed is over 260 MPH. Now I would ditch Ford in a heart beat if I could get ahold of one of those!

Brickman
11-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Those are some bad azz times!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think my Stroke would come close. :D :D

Oh wait, it is made for pulling big loads up the road. :D

AltaLawnCare
11-05-2002, 03:15 PM
I've toyed with the idea of stroking a 302. There is a way to use a 351 crank.. This with aluminum Dart3 heads and a good carb, it would be pretty tough.

I would hate to spend the money in it and have a stock 5.0 dust me though!

In the early 90s I replaced the floors, shock towers, fender aprons, shock towers, doors, quarter panels. The body needs to be finished out and blocked. After the cut in is done (door jambs painted, etc. the engine and drive train need to be ready to go in so it doesn't just sit and get damaged.

I have pictures somewhere of it in a car cradle, I sand blasted the entire bottom of teh car and primed it with red oxide epoxy primer (an exact match for the way ford did it)

Lots of work in that little mustang. :rolleyes:

I had some other nice Fords too, an 83 F150, a '66 Mustang with a 6 cyclinder. I sold both for more than I had in them.

CT18fireman
11-05-2002, 05:44 PM
I always hear people say that there is no replacement for displacement. i however built a small block for my 67 that can hold its own and lets the car handle alot better then with the front end weight of a big block.

Ford small blocks, though less common builds then chevies, can be built easily and with huge power gains.

TALLEY-HOE
11-12-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm the one that just purchased the 2003 red Dodge (hemi), 2500, gasser. I was raised with chevy written all over me. those days are over. Put all the window sticker you want on your trucks, Ill stick with my Dodge. By the way---have a nice day!!!!!

HOMER
11-13-2002, 09:00 PM
A "2 something" 1/4 mile time is reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy stretching it. Top fuelers haven't hit that yet with 3500 HP.

But I bet my Cummins can get real close...........with $100,000.00 worth of mods!:D

John DiMartino
11-13-2002, 10:14 PM
My local dealer has a few of the Hemi 's in stock,if they hold up 1/2 as good as they run they ought to be great trucks! These things are fast for 3/4 ton HD trucks!. Now on the diesel debate,being a 2 time Dodge /Cummins owner I am a little biased,truck to truck,there isnt anything better about a Dodge,it has a better turning radius,and is easier to work on,the Ford has better mirrors and way more configuartions.Now on to the engines,the powerstroke is a good engine,and they run great.But it really cannot be compared to the Cummins engine.IMO the Cummins B,and ISB are the strongest engines ever put in a pickup truck,by far.I dont mean horsepower,that can be changed on a Cummins easier than changing spark plugs on a gasser.Im talking sheer strength and durabilty.The Cummins is a medium duty engine,only the Cummmins is used in industrial applications,such as bulldozers,backhoes,excavators,loader,gensets,in addition to medium duty trucks,buses and boats.The engine is built to last and if you had one apart side by side,with a PSD,or have worked on /owned both,you would have to agree.My friends have PSDs, they are much harder to service/maintain than the Cummins/Dodge,even putting a 4" exhaust on a PSD is frustrating,working under the cowl with scraped knuckles.Oh the Cummins isnt the fastest truck stock,but they can haul the mail with afew and inexpensive mods.Mine is at 500hp 1000 ft lbs on #2 alone,very streetable,the PSD hits a wall at mid 400'sHp .As for the duramax ,it so far proven to be an excellent engine,IMO,and it has a ton of potential as far as power,there are already Dmaxes running mid 13's without a lot of mods,very impressive.The new 6.0 PSD looks like a winner so far too.

Brickman
11-14-2002, 12:24 AM
the PSD hits a wall at mid 400'sHp

Maybe some of them.

John DiMartino
11-14-2002, 08:17 AM
Brickman,the only PSD's i know of tha make over 450hp on #2 only are Brian Kenny's white crew cab PSd,and Physcostrokers 96PSD. The injection pumps just arent capable of much more than that.It takes a ton of money to egt more.Now with propane,and nitrous i know more power can be had,but its the same for a Dodge.For lightly moded trucks the PSD is great,just add a chip,and your set they'll pull like a mule,with a Dodge auto,you need to do a shift kit if you add over 50hp,the Ford its done electronically when you load the chip.Brickman have you dyno'd,if so what is your Hp,and what is done to your engine?

Swampbeast
11-14-2002, 08:22 AM
Hmmm, I dont think your quite right with that statement about "the PSD hits a wall at about 400hp". Cause if thats true, my F-350 doesnt get the 550 HP that my custom shop mechanic says it does, and what the machine says. I just modified it somemore and now i have a tad over 1000 FT/LB
I have several friends with pumped up Powerstrokes, and they all have anywhere from 500 HP to the monster of the group, a 760 Horsepower and 1200 Ft/Lb of Torque Powerstroke diesel.
So I think your information is just a wee bit off there.
I will not argue with the fact that Cummins are easier to work on, that is true. But just cause something is a little more taxing to my patience doesnt mean its immpossible. And thats perfectly allright that the PSD is hard to work on, it doesnt matter! Cause it just doesnt break down. :D
What do you mean, "harder to maintain"? Could you explain that comment? Cause mine has been as easy as all get out to maintain.
Now, the Hemi is a very fast truck, I had fun stomping other people with it, but it got crummy gas mileage and it didnt pull worth a darn.

(now whats going on? I posted this poll, then John replied again, and his post went on before mine? What? I am confused....)

John DiMartino
11-14-2002, 08:33 AM
Swampbeast,can i see your dyno sheet? Ill send you a copy of mine.Im talking on fuel only-no propane or Nitrous. There are many Dodges at 725-800hp with Nitrous,and propane. if you had 750 hp you would be tearing out trannys left and right.I betting your not even over 410hp #2 only,ill pay for your dyno runs if im wrong.

Swampbeast
11-14-2002, 08:43 AM
Oh! Fuel only! Sorry, no. I run propane. I must have misread something. :) My arguement is irrelevant then, this has nothing to do with what you were talking about.
I dont have 760 HP, one of my friends does, and he doesnt use it on a regular basis. Only for pulls and when he wants to go burn some rubber and pop some wheelies on the street. Yes, it does goes through trannies fairly quickly, gone through three in the past year. :eek:
I would be glad to send you my dyno sheet, if I knew what it was and how to get one! I have no idea what that is. How much does it cost?

mdb landscaping
11-14-2002, 08:47 AM
That statement is true homer. I read the article as well. That is one bad azzzzz car. They raced it against a blue angels fighter plane for kicks.

Swampbeast
11-14-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
That statement is true homer. I read the article as well. That is one bad azzzzz car. They raced it against a blue angels fighter plane for kicks.

Wasnt that the coolest pictures? That was awesome, seeing a Corrvette go streaking down a runway with a F/A-18 Jet tagging along behind it!
This die hard Ford fan would ditch all of his Fords if I could get ahold of one of those $160,000 machines!

Brickman
11-14-2002, 09:16 AM
John the only thing I have done to my truck is add a 75 HP chip, and 80 HP shot of propane. I have not Dynoed it, I want to but don't have the $ right now. 40K ago I had to install a heavy duty clutch, as the OEM went out.

By the numbers I should be doing 390 HP and 910 lbs of torque. But I don't think it is doing that. For one thing it just does not get enough air to use the full shot of propane with the chip.

I didn't realize that you were talking about fuel mods alone when you mentioned the power you seeing. I know that you can change the injectors and make a bunch of power just from that. Along with chips, propane, larger turbos, moster exhaust, and the list never stops when you get to this point.

Randy J
11-14-2002, 11:01 AM
John, you very succinctly made the point I've been trying to make all along. And what's more you got the powerstroke guys to agree. I wish I could do that. As for maintenance Swampbeast, you're in south Texas so glow plugs are probably not much of a problem for you. But up in Missouri, where I hail from originally, it is real common to replace the plugs on the powerstrokes. I was talking to a friend of mine and his co-worker's 2001 (I may be off a year or 2 here) with 36000 miles on it wouldn't start in his garage. They had to replace the glow plugs. Other than that, maintenance for a powerstroke is no worse than a cummins, as far as I know.
Randy
P.S. Good news, I think I've found the flatbed I've been looking for. It's a '95 Dodge, so I'm saved from getting a powerstroke or Chevy diesel.

Swampbeast
11-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Ahh! Glowplugs eh? A friend of mine (dont know if this is true or not) but he said it they would last longer if you plugged the diesel up to an electric cord on those cold nights. I do that sometimes when the temperatures get down in teh 40s.
Good for you! It might surprise you, but one of the trucks that I bought for Crew 2A is a 96 Dodge with the Cummins. I like them, I just like the Powerstrokes better, thats all. :D

Today is a great day isnt it? I dont know why, but I woke up with a great feeling today. Wierd.

Brickman
11-14-2002, 11:45 PM
Randy he must have gotten a lemon then. I have over 131,000 and the plugs are working F I N E. Matter of fact the block heater is out, and so far I am starting the truck with no problems on cold mornings.

Randy as for "telling the Powerstroke crowd" I didn't realize that you were talking about fuel mods alone, with nothing else. I can't argue with you on that with the Cummins, because I know nothing about them.

danzig
11-17-2002, 12:08 AM
Enough about mods!!!! A Cummins diesel is made for serious work period. Inline 6 cyl for towing and work. No glow plugs, it has large massive bearings for durability,sleeved engine block(like any real diesel) reputation for reliabilty and major miles(300k+miles) Better fuel economy than a psd.

Randy Scott
11-17-2002, 12:34 AM
Yadeee yadee yahhh! You guys in your stupid brand wars. Get over it. Mines better, no mines better. :rolleyes:

Brickman
11-17-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Yadeee yadee yahhh! You guys in your stupid brand wars. Get over it. Mines better, no mines better. :rolleyes:

FORD RULES :drinkup: plain and simple, end of arguement. No further discussion needed.

I mean to me it is as plain as the nose on my face.

Swampbeast
11-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Exactly! Its that simple. FORD RULES. Now once everyone comes to this perfectly logical conclusion, there will be peace on Earth. :D

John DiMartino
11-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Swampbeats,and Brickman are :dizzy: . :D :D

Swampbeast
11-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Yes, I am. but not as :dizzy: :dizzy: as you! :D :D

Brickman
11-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by John DiMartino
Swampbeats,and Brickman are :dizzy: . :D :D

:D :D :D

AltaLawnCare
11-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Dodge makes it , and Cummins shakes it..;)

Cummins Rules.
:angel:

Randy J
11-26-2002, 03:22 PM
I didn't bother to read all the way through this, but I believe this is the thread where someone asked to see the photo of the connecting rods from the GM, Ford, and Cummins diesel engines. Well, here it is. It should be noted that the GM is the 6.2/6.5 not the new Duramax.
Connecting Rods (http://home.attbi.com/~goedmonds/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-404360.html)

Randy

AltaLawnCare
11-27-2002, 08:24 AM
Thanks, Randy. :cool:

Thats the picture I saw a while back.
:D

Randy J
11-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Again, I don't know that it matters, as I've never heard of a Powerstroke, or GM diesel for that matter, breaking a connecting rod, but I think it's a good example of how over-built the Cummins is. That is probably because the engine is designed as an industrial and medium-duty truck engine that they shoe-horned into a pickup. As opposed to the Powerstroke and GM diesels that were designed for pickups. It's also interesting to note that the bearing caps are offset in the Cummins connecting rod.
Just a little bit of bragging rights for Cummins owners I guess - Mine's bigger...

Randy

Swampbeast
12-02-2002, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I think that is just overkill. I have never heard of any diesel engine having problems with the connecting rods. Personally, I think Cummins was just to cheap to make another whole set of connecting rods, so they just used the ones from an engine they already made and made em fit the smaller engine. Cutting corners........ :D
Off the subject, but I saw an old F-350 yesterday in Louisianna that had a specially modified 5.9 Cummins in it. He said it was a 12 valve. It was pretty sweet! Now, I am just going on what this feller said, there might not even be a 5.9 with 12 valves, I dont know. Is there?

Brickman
12-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Swamper yes there is, and that is the the good Cummins. The newer 24 valves are more trouble prone. I have heard from mechanics that they work on way more 24s than the 12s. If I ever get rich and put a Cummins in my F250 it will be the 12 valve.

Swampbeast
12-02-2002, 11:22 AM
Okay, there is. He didnt seem like a guy that would tell a bald faced lie, but ya never know....
That truck was really sweet. I wouldnt mind having one of those engines myself, we talked for a while, and he showed me what it could do. He got that F-350 to pop a wheelie right in the middle of the gas station parking lot! I was impressed. Very powerful, very smooth.
My Uncle Troy is a truck driver, and since I was at his house, and he had a fully loaded trailer hooked up to his Volvo semi truck rig, I hooked a chain up to the front end of his Rig, and tried pulling the semi (in Nuetral of course) and the trailer! Ha ha! My old F-350 did it, but not very well. Once I got the sucker moving it was allright, just getting that monster to budge was the hard part. It was fun.

Yall have fun at Thanksgiving this year?

Randy J
12-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Actually I wouldn't say the 12 valve is the "better" engine, although some people feel it is. I personally think, along with a lot of others, that a good 24 valve engine is better than the 12 valve. The problem is, the 12 valves seem a little more consistent. A good 24 valve is not rare, but there are some bad ones out there. Almost all of the 12 valves are consistently good. The only real differences between the 12 and 24 valve is the head, and the fuel pump. As Brickman has pointed out in the past, these minor differences cause the 24 valve to have a slightly higher RPM band than the 12 valve. Both engines develop peak torque at lower RPM figures than the other P/U diesel engines, and they both have a very flat torque curve. The 12 valve is know for the "killer dowel pin" problem - a front cover locating pin that can come loose and muck up the timing gears, front cover, etc. There's a simple preventative fix for it though. The 24 valve is known for a little less consistency in fuel mileage and sometimes power levels, fuel pump problems, and in very rare circumstances cracked blocks (the first of the 24 valves, with block series 53). The 12 valve pulls better with 3:54 gears, the 24 value seems to pull a little better with 4:10 gears. Interestingly enough, even with the taller gears, the fuel mileage doesn't seem to suffer.
I think the simpliest, most dependable Cummins was the one they used in the 89 - 93 first gen trucks. That was a bulletproof engine. Horsepower was less, and was limited on how far you could go, but it could be made to honk on down the road just fine;) .
The 12 valve is used most often for conversions as it is mechanically controlled, not electrically, like the 24 valve. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can't really argue trucks, as they all have their strong points and some weak points, but I still believe the Cummins is the best powerplant going in light duty trucks.
Swampbeast, now ice the wheels in about 1/4" of ice and try to break the truck loose. My friend back in Missouri, pulled a semi w/ trailer out of ice with his '93 Dodge. He had to get a little run at it, with a stretch rope, but he got it out.
Randy

sirsweatsalot
12-06-2002, 12:56 AM
MOPAR SUCKS!!!