PDA

View Full Version : Racoon problems

CCF16
08-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Anyone having problems with racoons these days and what do you think it is.
I have about five lawns that are been torn apart by them, no grubs to be found, still a little early for that problem. I am suspecting leather jackects

RAlmaroad
08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
I had a problem with "Coons" revenging apple trees. It's already been a lean year for apples. I took care of them with a 30-30 with a scope. Too many people feeding wild animals attracting them to homes. Sure, they're cute but too many carry rabies. What you have could be skunks rather than raccoons. Squirrels also dig turf.

ICT Bill
08-28-2011, 10:26 PM
a picture would be great, something is digging for some reason, lets figure it out

44DCNF
08-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

44DCNF
08-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Small triangular holes with the dirt all thrown
on one side would be skunks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
08-30-2011, 09:54 AM
small triangular holes is squirrels... skunks root around like pigs...

ICT Bill
08-30-2011, 10:18 AM
it could be cicada killers digging as well. They are very large wasps that dig a hole and lay an egg, they then go grab a cicada and kill it and leave it in the hole for the larvae to eat

if you have never seen a cicada killer actually kill a cicada it is absolutely wild

ecoguy
08-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Anyone having problems with racoons these days and what do you think it is.
I have about five lawns that are been torn apart by them, no grubs to be found, still a little early for that problem. I am suspecting leather jackects

Weird. I was just about to ask the same question. I just recently sodded a new lawn on top of 3-4 inches of compost rich soil and it looks amazing. They haven't watered in 2 weeks and we're still cutting it twice a week.

Anyways, every morning the customer wakes up, about 6-8 pieces of sod on the outer edges have been folded over. They are certain it is raccoons although there hasn't been any tearing of the sod, almost like a person is doing it. There is NO sign of grubs but the fertile soil is loaded with worms so I think the coons are going after that. I know that once they find a easy place for supper they will return again and again.

I've thought about installing a snow fence around the disturbed areas to try and keep them out. The customer has been putting hot sauce on the grass (she read somewhere that it might work). Any suggestions?

RigglePLC
08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
You need traps. And a professional to do the work--as you need to be licensed in vertebrate pest control.
Don't leave garbage and dogfood around.

ICT Bill
08-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Weird. I was just about to ask the same question. I just recently sodded a new lawn on top of 3-4 inches of compost rich soil and it looks amazing. They haven't watered in 2 weeks and we're still cutting it twice a week.

Anyways, every morning the customer wakes up, about 6-8 pieces of sod on the outer edges have been folded over. They are certain it is raccoons although there hasn't been any tearing of the sod, almost like a person is doing it. There is NO sign of grubs but the fertile soil is loaded with worms so I think the coons are going after that. I know that once they find a easy place for supper they will return again and again.

I've thought about installing a snow fence around the disturbed areas to try and keep them out. The customer has been putting hot sauce on the grass (she read somewhere that it might work). Any suggestions?

grubs could have been in the sod, just a wild guess
coons have great noses

CCF16
09-01-2011, 10:01 AM
just as I thought leather jackets here is a pic