PDA

View Full Version : You guys won't believe this, not sure if I do.

DaddyRabbit
10-31-2002, 06:38 PM
:eek: :eek: Click on this link and see what you think. I just don't know if this is possible or not taking the simple laws of physics into account and as many hours on a backhoe as I have.?? :dizzy:

www.trainorders.com/stories/2002/10/21/455.php

Green Pastures
10-31-2002, 06:40 PM
Now how's he gonna get that out of there?

bluemoon
10-31-2002, 07:17 PM
WOW,WOW & WOW
Hard to beleive.
Speechless.

Darryl G
10-31-2002, 10:58 PM
Nice moves, but what happens when a hydraulic line bursts?

MacLawnCo
10-31-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by darryl gesner
Nice moves, but what happens when a hydraulic line bursts?

If a line bursts during that, the machine has many many problems.

Mow&Snow
10-31-2002, 11:31 PM
I cannot believe that it's possible. No way.

Rooster
11-01-2002, 02:18 AM
This was posted on Plowsite.com,

I think it was Chuck Smith that noticed the guides on the loader bucket and the oversize backhoe bucket. (Sharp Eye Chuck S.).

Might be possible with those changes, I'd like to see a video of the sequence in action.

Rick

kris
11-01-2002, 07:01 AM
I believe it ... I've seen it done on a much smaller scale - on and off a trailer.

Tvov
11-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Wow!

The backhoe bucket has been moved a couple of times. Compare it against the pickup in the background. How do you move the bucket when the whole tractor is in the air? I, too, would like to see a video of it.

I do know some guys who are incredible heavy equipment operators who might be able to do this. I would still like to see it in person!

cutting edge
11-01-2002, 07:50 AM
I have seen a video where an excavator (Kobelco, I think) climbs a very, very tall tower. Once at the top the operator extends the machine out away from the tower and spins it around in the air. The purpose of the video was to show how good the hydraulics were on this machine.

The Mowerdude
11-01-2002, 08:23 AM
I assume that this backhoe driver can get it back down.

Well...ok.....it will come down one way or another. :D

hosejockey2002
11-01-2002, 12:09 PM
For the real story, go to http://www.herzogcompanies.com/railcar_unloading.htm Looks like this is a specially engineered setup for unloading rail cars. Not something you would want to try with a run-of-the-mill Case 580, but I've seen a couple of operators that could probably do it.:eek:

Guido
11-01-2002, 12:57 PM
I run equipment and I definetly think thats possible if the hydraulics were strong enough, but I don't think I'd have the balls to do that.

I know someone who would try it though. I happen to work for the best (self proclaimed, but very honest) backhoe operator there ever was....;)

I'm going to e-mail him this thread and see what he says about it...........

DLCS
11-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Wow, that says alot for the hydraulic systems on Catapillars backhoes. Interesting

Mike
DLCS

John DiMartino
11-02-2002, 06:46 PM
I am by no maeans a professional operator,but ive go a few hundred hrs on a few Case 580's,and I know the hydros are plenty strong to do that with.I however am way to scared to try it.

Brickman
11-03-2002, 10:19 PM
I can believe this, but don't think I have the balls to do this. When I was about 10 or 12 years younger I probably would have been stupid enough to try it. :eek:

I have heard about the super size excavators with the really long hoe arms going down a straight 30' dirt wall in a mine.

Swampbeast
11-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Well, after watching a machine similar to that one pick my truck straight up off the ground and then set it down in the back end of a flat bed trailer (flat tire) I definatly believe the machine can do that. Physically, it is possible, you would just have to have a operator who is gutsy enough, (or stupid enough) to try it.

:cool:

Mow&Snow
11-04-2002, 12:21 AM
seems alittle extreme for a flat tire tho....

Randy Scott
11-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Honestly, what an idiot! That's all I have to say.

Mow&Snow
11-04-2002, 12:45 AM
In the imortal words of Forest Gump "Thats all I have to say about that"...

aquaturf
11-07-2002, 05:44 PM
I'd hate to be the guy who buys that thing used. "Low hours and a just few scratches - never abused!"

Mowingman
11-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Nothing to it. I have worked with several companies that unload rail cars using this method. Over a period of 18 years, I never saw an accident doing this. The bucket and outriggers have guides that slide along the top edges of the car. You can not see it, but in the front bucket, there is a winch that they hook onto the far end of the railcar. Backhoe operator can pull his machine along the top of the car with the winch. To dismount, they just use the reverse of the procedure in the photos.:)

IBGreen
11-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Did you guys like how I did that? I'll be signing autographs from 10:00-11:00 tonight!:D

Mow&Snow
11-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Ya, OK.

Guido
11-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Mowingman
You can not see it, but in the front bucket, there is a winch that they hook onto the far end of the railcar. Backhoe operator can pull his machine along the top of the car with the winch

Thats more like the full story......okay...definetly possible now! I know the hydro's are strong enough to pick the machine up, but I was wondering how he got his boom straight down while holding the hoe up.

I thought maybe he picked it up as far as he could go and then had some special long outriggers or something so he could reset his boom and dipper to push up higher. But I looked at the pic and didn't see any mods to the outriggers.

I saw the guide on the bucket, but thats not really needed.....kind of added safety I guess.

The winch makes it much more believable though.

Like I said before......I've seen a hoe go up on a trailer like that, but nothing that high.