PDA

View Full Version : Axle rating# Question

ny scaper
08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Hey all,
I have a 12' single axle trailer that either I or my buddy have bent the axle on carrying to heavy a load. Thats a whole different story, but anyway, I want to beef the axle up to hold at least 3,000# mulch, topsoil and crusher primarily. I was limited to smaller weights and apparently over did it.
I was wondering how you can check the rating of the axle I have? Can you measure the tube and that give you an extimate of what its rated at?
Its approx weight is (unladen weight 1,200) and I am hoping to have the new axle for fall cleanups.
I was going to go with Redneck trailer Supplies for the axle, either a 3,500 or 4,400#. Any body know how much these would approx cost? I called them but with all the variables, he couldnt really give me a price. I am just looking for a ballbark. Thanks in advance.

unkownfl
08-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey all,
I have a 12' single axle trailer that either I or my buddy have bent the axle on carrying to heavy a load. Thats a whole different story, but anyway, I want to beef the axle up to hold at least 3,000# mulch, topsoil and crusher primarily. I was limited to smaller weights and apparently over did it.
I was wondering how you can check the rating of the axle I have? Can you measure the tube and that give you an extimate of what its rated at?
Its approx weight is (unladen weight 1,200) and I am hoping to have the new axle for fall cleanups.
I was going to go with Redneck trailer Supplies for the axle, either a 3,500 or 4,400#. Any body know how much these would approx cost? I called them but with all the variables, he couldnt really give me a price. I am just looking for a ballbark. Thanks in advance.

Check out northern tool. Usually 3500lbs axles are 5 lug.

hosejockey2002
08-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Not sure what axle rating you have now, but you can upgrade to axles of over 5K easily. The problem is that the rest of the trailer components become the weak link, i.e. springs, frame, etc.

SNOWBEARLTD
09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Usually axles are either stickered or engraved with a rating, the problem is, the older the trailer gets, the hard it is to read...If at all..

When upgrading an axle it is important to check the following..

1. Can the springs handle the added load capacity?
2. Can the tires handle the added load capacity?
3. It may need to be equipped with electronic brakes if over 3000 lbs G.V.W.R depending on your location.

Hope that helps.

White Gardens
09-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Usually axles are either stickered or engraved with a rating, the problem is, the older the trailer gets, the hard it is to read...If at all..

When upgrading an axle it is important to check the following..

1. Can the springs can handle the added load capacity?
2. Can the tires can handle the added load capacity?
3. It may needs to be equipped with electronic brakes if over 3000 lbs G.V.W.R depending on your location.

Hope that helps.

Great post....

MHM
09-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Did an upgrade from a 3500# to 5200# with u bolts,springs,brakes,wheels and tires for less than $700 this spring. My dealer know which to order had no problems with change out.

Duffster
09-12-2011, 04:57 PM
3. It may need to be equipped with electronic brakes if over 3000 lbs G.V.W.R depending on your location.

He wouldn't be changing the GVWR.