PDA

View Full Version : Need help with first bush removal

pattytastik
08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
I primarily stick to mowing lawns and hedging and mulching and some other small jobs. I got my first request for a large pyramid Holly bush to be removed. I really have never done any bush removals bigger than a few feet tall. This bush is huge, Probably about 15 feet tall. I have no chain saw. Any idea how to price this kind of a job (should it be just basic per hour charging plus dump fees?), and what kind of chainsaw and what size I should get as well as what other tools I will need.

Thanks a lot guys!

JayRent
08-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Bro, you're going to save yourself a ton of time with a chainsaw. I went a little bigger when I purchased mine. I purchased the Stihl 290 ($300). I want to say the Stihl 250 is like $180-200 bucks.

First time I had a bush like this, I went out purchased the chainsaw and bid the job high enough to cover the cost of the saw. Obviously, I made sure I secured the bid before I made the purchase.

By yourself I bet you'll be done in 90 minutes if you hustle.

pattytastik
08-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Bro, you're going to save yourself a ton of time with a chainsaw. I went a little bigger when I purchased mine. I purchased the Stihl 290 ($300). I want to say the Stihl 250 is like $180-200 bucks.

First time I had a bush like this, I went out purchased the chainsaw and bid the job high enough to cover the cost of the saw. Obviously, I made sure I secured the bid before I made the purchase.

By yourself I bet you'll be done in 90 minutes if you hustle.

Yeah that sounds good, that price isn't too bad, I was expecting one to cost around 400. How did you haul away all the lumber? Does a 10 foot bush need chipper?

Lawnut101
08-29-2011, 07:03 PM
That's gonna be hard without a chain saw. Can you take pics and post them? I would probably figure a little under $100 if I can pull the stump out with my truck or skid steer. That price would be to haul everything away too. Without pics it is hard for me to say for sure though.

pattytastik
08-29-2011, 07:05 PM
That's gonna be hard without a chain saw. Can you take pics and post them? I would probably figure a little under $100 if I can pull the stump out with my truck or skid steer. That price would be to haul everything away too. Without pics it is hard for me to say for sure though.

You think a 10-15 foot bush could come out with a truck? This bush is huge, I really don't think a pickup could do it.

JDiepstra
08-29-2011, 07:24 PM
You think a 10-15 foot bush could come out with a truck? This bush is huge, I really don't think a pickup could do it.

Depends on the truck. Mine, no problem. Yours, id have no idea. Careful of water lines if they have irrigation.

Picture if bush?

RussellB
08-29-2011, 07:35 PM
If you don't have an excavator and you need to remove the rot ball, I'd pass on it or sub to someone that has the equipment. If you only need to cut it down to ground level a chain saw would be nice but a reciprocating saw (if you already own one) will also work. Don't you have a recyling center near by that you can get rid of the waste for free?
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Depends on the truck. Mine, no problem. Yours, id have no idea. Careful of water lines if they have irrigation.

Picture if bush?

Is that because it has 500hp? It won't do any good if all it will do is tear up the grass when you hit the gas. :)

You definitely have a better chance though with your truck versus the wittle Dakota.

masonenterprises
08-29-2011, 09:20 PM
If you don't have an excavator and you need to remove the rot ball, I'd pass on it or sub to someone that has the equipment. If you only need to cut it down to ground level a chain saw would be nice but a reciprocating saw (if you already own one) will also work. Don't you have a recyling center near by that you can get rid of the waste for free?
Posted via Mobile Device

Was gonna say the same. If you don't own a mini excavator than you could probably rent one between $240 and $290 a day. Plus you can have it for 8 hours so if you have any other jobs to do, or something around your own yard to accomplish it comes in handy.

JDiepstra
08-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Is that because it has 500hp? It won't do any good if all it will do is tear up the grass when you hit the gas. :)

You definitely have a better chance though with your truck versus the wittle Dakota.

No it's because I have a 3/4 ton and he has what would amount to less than a half ton. At almost 8,000 pounds, I wouldnt take my truck into an area where it would tear up a lawn. I figured that was a given.

2stroked
08-29-2011, 09:28 PM
I bought a rebuilt husqvarna 235 for $135. It's handled hard wood logs 1 1/2 feet in with fine so far. It's hand to have a little saw sometimes.

Big Bad Bob
08-29-2011, 09:44 PM
A truck won't pull a 15' bush without a lot of hand digging and root cutting. Use an excavator or cut it to the ground and grind the root out. This all depends on the type and location of the bush and the soil type and dryness. People have a tendency to plant bushes right up to the foundation. You could actually damage the foundation if you do it wrong thus annoying your insurance agent. Seen it happen. Also, be sure to have the utilities located before you break the ground.

Smallaxe
08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
A truck won't pull a 15' bush without a lot of hand digging and root cutting. Use an excavator or cut it to the ground and grind the root out. This all depends on the type and location of the bush and the soil type and dryness. People have a tendency to plant bushes right up to the foundation. You could actually damage the foundation if you do it wrong thus annoying your insurance agent. Seen it happen. Also, be sure to have the utilities located before you break the ground.

Good advice... :)

Kevin16
08-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Why not just dig this shrub out with a thing we call a SHOVEL ! You should be able to remove the root ball and most of the roots inside an hour instead of tearing up your trucks rear end and the lawn of the clients. Plus if you rip out a root ball with your truck you will tear everything up and with a shovel you can slice thru roots and leave a majority of the dirt there so you can replace the holly shrub.

ny scaper
08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Why not just dig this shrub out with a thing we call a SHOVEL ! You should be able to remove the root ball and most of the roots inside an hour instead of tearing up your trucks rear end and the lawn of the clients. Plus if you rip out a root ball with your truck you will tear everything up and with a shovel you can slice thru roots and leave a majority of the dirt there so you can replace the holly shrub.

I was thinking the same thing!! I know these guys are the real deal on here, but renting or getting an excavator for this 15' Holly? Really? Cmon guys. a Little sweat never hurt anyone.
Ok so you rent/borrow an excavator, you go get it, drive it to the site, use it for 2 minutes, bring it back to the rent place, haul the holly to the dump spot. You're into it like 3+ hours plus the cost of renting which wont be cheap. I dont see a customer paying $500+ for pulling a 15' holly out, but everyplace is different.
If you get a shovel, grubhoe, and some crappy loppers, you could be done in no more than 1.5 hours and thats on the long side.

Big Bad Bob
08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing!! I know these guys are the real deal on here, but renting or getting an excavator for this 15' Holly? Really? Cmon guys. a Little sweat never hurt anyone.
Ok so you rent/borrow an excavator, you go get it, drive it to the site, use it for 2 minutes, bring it back to the rent place, haul the holly to the dump spot. You're into it like 3+ hours plus the cost of renting which wont be cheap. I dont see a customer paying $500+ for pulling a 15' holly out, but everyplace is different.
If you get a shovel, grubhoe, and some crappy loppers, you could be done in no more than 1.5 hours and thats on the long side.

That's a whole lot of unnecessary work. I PREFER to cut it and simply grind the root. I'm not in this business, at 57 years old, to kill myself removing one lousy bush. As far as the excavator, I always have a few projects that I can use it on while I have it.

3 weeks, no rain. Now we are getting flooded out. Good thing I have had plenty of bush trimming, bush removal and other odd jobs to make up for the mowing.

RussellB
08-30-2011, 04:06 PM
That's going to be a big heavy root ball. If the tree is small enough that you think you can use a shovel and lift the root ball onto the trailer then by all means use a shovel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kevin16
08-30-2011, 06:38 PM
It shouldnt be that big because your going to hammer out all of the dirt from around the tree roots and if you remove the dirt with the roots then you have to replace the dirt which is unneccessary. I have learned that its not the most amount of metal wins you the prize but its the most amount of money that I am concerned about at the end of the month in my accounts. Guys this is a fifteen foot holly tree should be removed in about 2 hours max not a job where you need an excavator to remove the stump.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Rent a chain saw if you don't want to buy one.... cut the bush down and dig up the stump.

RussellB
08-30-2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWdpFZIdDqY can always try this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
If you're going to dig by hand , use a pickaxe with opposing angle cutting blades along with your shove... dig a hole on on side to wash the root ball clear of dirt if needed, and leave a 4' stump for leverage...

johnny_boy02
09-01-2011, 12:48 AM
That does not really sound that large. I would cut it a few feet from the ground and start digging.