PDA

View Full Version : Sulky w/ casters

dlomb72
10-31-2002, 08:54 PM
I have recently purchased a 48" Hydro walk behind with sulky. the sulky has two caster wheels that are identical to the casters in the front of the machine. I weigh about 200 lbs. and the damn casters on the sulky just don't turn when i attempt to back the machine up. the result is the tires spin and tear the ever loving god out of the turf. please tell me i am doing something wrong or is it just a poor design. every thing gets greased on a regular basis so i can rule that out. any input?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 09:00 PM
What is the attachment? Who makes it?

If possable post a pic.

dlomb72
10-31-2002, 09:03 PM
the sulky is made by lesco to match the mower

longviewlawncare
10-31-2002, 09:37 PM
mine turns fine. Take it back and have thwem look at it.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2002, 10:06 PM
The drive tires spin?

I thought the sulky tires were binding some how and doing the damage.

wriken
10-31-2002, 10:13 PM
I have one of those kinds and sometimes to back up you have to get off almost, other than that they work great. Mine is a MTD sulkey mounted behind a hydro MTD 1648

Darryl G
10-31-2002, 11:35 PM
dlomb - I run the Bull Rider sulky in caster modo. I have found that with any caster wheel, it's difficult to go straight backwards. The wheels have to turn around 180 degree to go backwards and tend to get stuck. Try turning a bit to one side first while backing in order to get the caster wheels to start turning around. Then they should spin the rest of the way around without any trouble. Anyone who has ever been in a wheelchair knows this trick. On soft ground I do have to step off on occassion.

Doc Pete
11-01-2002, 12:44 AM
You can do a couple of things to help/fix the problem. First, however, the Lesco wheels are small which is a pain for turning. OK, running higher tire pressure will help a lot. Next, you can back up two different ways. One, you can stop prefectly straight and back up quickly, building up a bit of speed before the wheels have a change to spin around. Once you've got it started backwards, the wheels with flip fast and momentum will keep you moving. Second, just before you stop to backup, turn the machine a bit and get the wheels turned, either direction. Then, as you start to backup first keep the the machine slightly turned in the same direction of which you stopped. This will continue to pivot the castors in the same direction as they started moving when you turned to stop. This works the best, and takes only a bit of remembering to do each time you backup. When you move up to a Hustler, you'll be able to go backwards and mow at 5 mph........Also, keeping the straight is a piece of cake, too.
Pete

TJLC
11-01-2002, 07:52 AM
When I owned a castor type velke (Bullrider) I had those same problems. Now I use Exmark's sitdown steerable sulky and no problems at all backing up or on slopes. It steers as you do and tucks in tight for turning in tight areas. A bit pricy, but IMHO well worth it for ease of use.

Doc Pete
11-01-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by TJLC
When I owned a castor type velke (Bullrider) I had those same problems. Now I use Exmark's sitdown steerable sulky and no problems at all backing up or on slopes. It steers as you do and tucks in tight for turning in tight areas. A bit pricy, but IMHO well worth it for ease of use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the sitdown cannot actually "fully" zero turn, mow backwards, or switch from frontwards to backwards after making a 90 degree turn. If it could the wheels would "have" to be able to spin completely around just like a regular castor velky. In other words, by definition of use, it would have to work exactly like a "three wheel out front mower", or it won't do the job right.
Pete

dlomb72
11-01-2002, 08:54 AM
thanks for the input guys/gals. this site continues to prove itself to be an invaluable resource.

TJLC
11-01-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the sitdown cannot actually "fully" zero turn, mow backwards, or switch from frontwards to backwards after making a 90 degree turn. If it could the wheels would "have" to be able to spin completely around just like a regular castor velky. In other words, by definition of use, it would have to work exactly like a "three wheel out front mower", or it won't do the job right.
Pete

All I know is it works very well for me.

Green Pastures
11-01-2002, 07:03 PM
I have the Toro Tru-Trac castering wheel sulky and I only weigh 150 lbs soaking wet. If I'm at a dead stop in thick grass I just jump up a bit to get started if I get stuck like that. I think they all do it. It's just a matter of getting enough weight off the castering tires to allow them the 180 degree turn. After that it's fine. I did notice that if I do not come to a complete stop before backing it works without the little jump.

Trial and error.

Doc Pete
11-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Green Pastures
I did notice that if I do not come to a complete stop before backing it works without the little jump.

Hmmmmmmm, and How's that again about backing up "without stopping first". I guess you invented a new law of physics. Just joking:D :D
Pete