PDA

View Full Version : Not too shabby

DVS Hardscaper
08-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Not bad considering the economy still is in a slump!

I've been a little more selective about the leads I been pricing.

You'll have to click on the PDF link to see what I'm talking about. And thats NET, not GROSS.

This is an excerpt from my super duper looper job costing / job tracking program that I have spent nearly 10 years perecting. I've left some portions out, as one of these days this system may be for sale to fellow hardscapers.

After the job is complete and all your numbers and production hrs are in, anyone else pulling a net profit for hardscaping like this?

PatriotLandscape
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Haven't seen those numbers in at least four years.
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Im kinda curious how you go over budgeted man hours and materials and you still make a higher profit then you figured? Something doesnt add up or I am missing something.

SDLandscapes VT
08-30-2011, 10:24 PM
reddens....he was ~1K under on materials.......

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Im kinda curious how you go over budgeted man hours and materials and you still make a higher profit then you figured? Something doesnt add up or I am missing something.

What? He was less on material costs, thats where he made all his profit, he lost money on man hours

DVS Hardscaper
08-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Being over on materials certainly helps. The idea is to make sure that no matter what - you do not lose 1 cent on materials. I do not like it if my job tracking has any of these in any of the columns: (-$1.00)
YET....you also must keep the prices competitive and not go hog wild with over estimating materials.

9 hrs over isn't the end of the world, as thats for the total crew, meaning it's not like an additional day of drive time and fuel was expended.

Also, I seldom estimate a job based on what my guys actually are paid. In other words if my lead man makes $15 / hr, I'll estimate the job a pay for him being higher than that. You never know if they'll get mad and walk out on you and you find a replacement wanting more. Or you never know if they'll demand a raise. So you plan ahead for these things. You should always have cushioning, whether it's over estimating materials, production hrs, a fudge factor, whatever.

This particular job was pure luck. Although we've been doing very well in the profit sector of business this year. I don't usually post my profits on the WWW! But after 2 years of recession I felt compelled to show that good things do come for those that wait.

And I wanted to demonstrat the importance of knowing your numbers and knowing how to work the numbers, along with tracking your numbers.

ReddensLawnCare
08-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Wow, my bad...I thought the 6 was an 8 in the materials row..i had to zoom in...in that case disregard that post...haha

neversatisfiedj
08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Good job Andrew. You are in a league with Matt Rusk !

DVS Hardscaper
08-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Good job Andrew. You are in a league with Matt Rusk !

Wait till the next time I see you, Punk!

Posted via Mobile Device

neversatisfiedj
09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Is that net after your salary ? Just curious for my own sake. Is that percentage profit strickly for the company ?

DVS Hardscaper
09-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Is that net after your salary ? Just curious for my own sake. Is that percentage profit strickly for the company ?

"Salary"?? Not sure what that is. Stand by, I'm gonna go find my dictionary.....

PSUhardscaper
09-02-2011, 07:18 AM
"Salary"?? Not sure what that is. Stand by, I'm gonna go find my dictionary.....

I've spoken to a few contractors who are doing very well for themselves and they said that paying yourself a salaray is a must. profit is your money after you pay yourself, not just everything that comes in. That being said, i have yet to add myself to payroll.
Posted via Mobile Device