PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping courses?

Trucklover
08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Has anyone on here taken any online landscaping college classes or community college classes ? If so what do you recommend ? I wanna start to learn more about landscaping and the proper ways of doing things. -Thanks :usflag:

PlantscapeSolutions
08-30-2011, 02:08 AM
The best way to learn about landscaping is to really pay attention to your surroundings. Pick up some books about your local plants and learn the names of everything. Check out local botanical gardens and retail nurseries to see what people are buying. In reality you would buy from a wholesale nursery but you won't learn much from a wholesale place.

To be a really good landscaper your mind needs to be a sponge where you absorb all the information you can. You really need to be a little artistic to be a good landscape designer. There's no quick way to become a great landscaper. It really takes time and a knack for understanding horticulture.

I rarely win landscape jobs because I'm the cheapest guy. I win lots of jobs because I easily get the clients confidence. They quickly understand that from soils, to insects, to plant selections, to the design process that I have a level of knowledge that a lot of my competitors can't match.

I use AutoCad to do my designs and use a laptop to do presentations at customers homes. I do not do free estimates. You will waste a lot of time dealing with people who are cheapskates if you do free estimates.

agrostis
08-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Not exactly landscaping but it's a start.

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/turfgrass-management-certificate/overview

grassman177
08-30-2011, 10:22 PM
i did some juco, i would take a tree class, or woody ornamentals type class.

knowing the plants is an asset, that is a good start.

i took landscape design too.

pgsllc
08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
I agree with all three of these guys. I have taken a course at the local technical college and gained some knowledge, but it is the research and practice you apply after the course that matters.

There are many resources on the internet and great books available to gain knowledge. It is constant studying and reading that really helps.

University of Florida has a white paper on Landscape Design that really gives great concepts. It is a downloadable .pdf. Good luck!