PDA

View Full Version : Geo-Grid in timber wall???

scagrider22
08-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Has anyone ever tried using geo grid in a timber wall instead of tie backs? I am replacing a pretty large railroad tie wall in a couple weeks with 6x8x8" timbers. I was wondering if this would work, I cant see why it wouldnt?

I probably wont do it but Im just curious. I have not done the math yet to see what the cost difference is.

AztlanLC
08-31-2011, 06:51 PM
I think the only way this might work is to notch the middle of the timbers where you are planning to install the grid, set it and put rebar to hold it cause I dont' think just the spikes would be enought to hold the grid, the best is to ask an engineer, there has to be a reason why this is not done this way and if it is I never seen it or even read about it.

scagrider22
08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
I think the only way this might work is to notch the middle of the timbers where you are planning to install the grid, set it and put rebar to hold it cause I dont' think just the spikes would be enought to hold the grid, the best is to ask an engineer, there has to be a reason why this is not done this way and if it is I never seen it or even read about it.

Lag screws instead of spikes would probably hold the grid down the best. Im being nice here, but most of the engineers around here can barely sharpen a pencil, most contractors rip on them because what they put on paper does not work in the real world but we do use them for commercial/big residential jobs just to cover our butts.

I have never seen it done either, maybe Im on to something lol ( I dought it)! :laugh:

2low4NH
08-31-2011, 11:33 PM
you use them to draw up a print then go against what they say to cover your butt. I think thats a can of worms we will not open.

scagrider22
08-31-2011, 11:53 PM
you use them to draw up a print then go against what they say to cover your butt. I think thats a can of worms we will not open.

Where did I say that I went against what the engineers say? I just said a lot of what they put on paper does not work! That does not mean we go against there print. We typically only use them on big commercial jobs or city jobs where the inspector is on sight 100% of the time, if there is an issue with the print its gets changed and approved by the engineer or the city inspector. We almost never use them in Ohio for residential work.

FLCthes4:11-12
09-01-2011, 08:04 AM
why wouldnt you use a "dead man" in a timber wall.

scagrider22
09-01-2011, 08:49 AM
why wouldnt you use a "dead man" in a timber wall.
I do,dead men and tie backs are the same thing. Im not looking for an alternative, Im just wondering if anyone has done it and if it worked.