PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the mowers?

Swampbeast
11-01-2002, 12:03 AM
Does anybody else besides me clean the mowers on a regular basis?
At the end of every week, all the employees and my partner and I all get together and clean all the equipment, going so far as to Armor-All the plastic surfaces and tires.
Am I just a clean freak or does anybody else do this?

:cool:

greenman
11-01-2002, 12:10 AM
No, I dont do all that. I just make sure everything is maintained and make sure the deck stays clean and the belts are free of grass. I usually wash em about once every month.

awm
11-01-2002, 08:29 AM
i wash after any lawn that has substancial weeds,to avoid transfer to better lawns. one thing ive started doin is washing under deck with the wax.
it may be my imagination ,but seems to aid in underdeck grass buildup..
every yr i try to clean an paint mower an trailer. when im done, u got to look hard to tell its 7 yrs old.:)

stslawncare
11-01-2002, 08:52 AM
there is a huge thread on this topic, if you do a search and find a few of the threads on this topic, there are tons of great tips, on different soaps etc for washing above and under the deck

lawnranger44
11-01-2002, 10:38 AM
we sharpen blades and scrape the grass buildup once a week...blades get dull REAL fast!

bubble boy
11-01-2002, 11:21 AM
sharpen blades every day you'll see cut quality shoot up

no washing here, just clear grass from deck and area

Gravely_Man
11-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Cleanliness is key. It will help prevent the spreading of disease from lawn to lawn, make your equipment last longer, let you see small problems before they get big and help you to look like a professional. Yes I am a total neat freak and clean everything up quite regularly.

Gravely Man

JML
11-01-2002, 03:21 PM
We don't armor all but ALL equipment is hand washed/scrubbed about every 10 to 12 days. At this time the equipment maintenance is done, and we even spray paint all scratched, chipped paint on all the mowers....

rcav8er
11-01-2002, 04:51 PM
I've been in the aircraft maintenance business for close to 25 years now as a Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic. When it comes to taking care of your equipment weather it be your mowers, your cars, or an airplane, keeping it clean will lengthen it's life - period. There's another side of keeping your equipment clean we should all look at. Look at it from the customers view, if a LCP pulled up to my house with a trailer load of dirty, ragged out lawn equipment, I can assure you he would not get my business. The condition of your equipment is a direct reflection of your professionalism and makes a big impact on what your customer pictures in his mind of the job he can expect to recieve. I've dealt with allot of people over the years who complain about one piece of equipment or the other. As a general rule, the guy's who have trouble with there equipment, do very little if any preventitive maintenance, keeping it clean is only the beginning of any preventitve maintenance program.
It may seem like a small thing but it makes a big difference, remember your selling yourself, as well as your companies services.

:blob1: You only get one chance at a first impression !