PDA

View Full Version : Best Practice - Removing unused heads >>

platinum
08-30-2011, 01:19 AM
What is the best way to remove unused heads from the system? Can you just cap them off as long as it does not increase the water pressure to much?

I have am putting in a paver walkway and its going over 2 heads that won’t be needed anymore. Looking for the best way to remove those…

Cloud9Landscapes
08-30-2011, 01:32 AM
Are you positive they aren't needed? Why not just move them to the edge of the walkway with a half circle spray head?

If you're sure you don't need them, dig down, take out the riser + sprinkler, screw in 1/2 male plug.

Be sure to flush your system after whatever you do.

mitchgo
08-30-2011, 01:55 AM
Are you positive they aren't needed? Why not just move them to the edge of the walkway with a half circle spray head?

If you're sure you don't need them, dig down, take out the riser + sprinkler, screw in 1/2 male plug.

Be sure to flush your system after whatever you do.

I doubt he's sure..

To save the client from yelling at your ass next season. move the sprinkler head outside of the pavor area. you can either cap it here or install a sprinkler head as suggested.

platinum
08-30-2011, 02:38 AM
thanks guys.. Ill move them for now and see what's left after the walkway is put in. I dont beleive there is going to be anything to spray.

DanaMac
08-30-2011, 09:03 AM
If they are on the end of the line, or even teed off somewhere, there could be an issue if the system needs to be blown out. By just capping off the heads, you create an area that will hold water and not blow out properly. If the heads and fittings are in a straight line, daisy chained, and there are heads on the zone still past these, then you are ok.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Hmmm interesting. So that can be a problem? You've had capped pipes the didn't blow out and froze? Makes sense though.

DanaMac
08-30-2011, 09:22 AM
I've repeatedly capped heads over time. On a poly system it is not so crucial, but on a PVC system it makes me scared. I have one condo complex that I want to cap 6 un-needed spray heads that are on with rotors, but I'm afraid the PVC will shatter. I personally would know that the heads are capped, but future companies would not. I could add a ball valve above ground at one or two of the heads to allow me to open it up, but that is a pain in the rear.

Sprinkus
08-30-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd install a sleeve pipe if there will be landscape on both sides of the walkway.

platinum
08-30-2011, 02:44 PM
I'd install a sleeve pipe if there will be landscape on both sides of the walkway.

What does this provide me. Ability to reuse the heads if needed? I would assume if I wanted to reuse them I would just re run the lines before the walkway was put in instead of using a sleeve pipe under the walkway.

Just trying to understand what this option gives me.

S.O.Contracting
08-30-2011, 04:27 PM
What does this provide me. Ability to reuse the heads if needed? I would assume if I wanted to reuse them I would just re run the lines before the walkway was put in instead of using a sleeve pipe under the walkway.

Just trying to understand what this option gives me.

The ability to get anything under the walkway with having to tear it up. Could include landscape lighting wire, irrigation, anything else. I'd suggest 4" that way you have plenty of room for extra things. But 2" is ok just for some 1" pipe and a few wires.

AI Inc
08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Tell em to always put in a sleeve, and remember , an unmarked sleeve is about the same as no sleeve at all.

platinum
08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
I got it.. just for fugure use. Good idea, I will do that.