PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody apply Gypsum? Does it have any value what so ever?

ranger520
11-01-2002, 05:44 AM
I was wondering if any of you apply gypsum to lawns. I get the frequently asked question "Will gypsum keep dog urin from killing my grass"? Also I have heard that it helps to break clay soill down.

cutting edge
11-01-2002, 08:31 AM
When planting woody ornamentals in clay soil, I usually mix some gypsum in the bottom of the hole. I have not tried it on lawns, but I have wondered if it would work.

HBFOXJr
11-01-2002, 09:43 AM
I haven't used it becasue it is one of those things that is an extra cost that folks don't understand well in our area.

Gypsum helps the small soil particles in clay aggregate into larger soil particles thereby improving drainage. Yes it works but I haven't used it personally.

Fvstringpicker
11-01-2002, 09:45 AM
Gypsum is used to treat sodic soils-soils high in sodium, low in soluble salts and a ph usually grater than 8-8.5.

ranger520
11-01-2002, 11:04 AM
Hey, thanks for the great replies guys, this is very helpfull. There seems to be alot of demand for it around here as people are asking me all of the time if I apply gypsum. Mabe I will add to my contracts in clay soil areas as a optional extra that others are not offering.

Thanks again
scott

Bob Minney
11-01-2002, 12:31 PM
I use gypsum on some lawns for additional sulfur. I have noticed some improvement in drainage but have better results top dressing with an organic compost.
Here is a link about gypsum at our extension office.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1602.html

This is the company that provides gypsum to my CO-OP. They sent some excellent information, mostly related to farming, but some related to turf, plus an excellent brochure on all uses/benefits.
To request info: Calcium Products Inc
fax 515-373-6553
1-800-255-8196
www.agrigrowth.com

For Dog spots
Not much use, there are some old threads with good info and links on the subject

GroundKprs
11-01-2002, 05:29 PM
General counsel of university turf officials: yes, gypsum will help drainage, but the characteristics that set up this better drainage also cause everything else to percolate rapidly through your soil. Including fertilizers and other chemical applications.

leadarrows
11-01-2002, 09:29 PM
Lawn care is only one of the services I offer. I haul about 9 tons of gypsum board to the dumb weekly. I would love to be putting
the gypsum on lawns instead but the start-up cost of recycling it are up-wards of 1 million dolors. A bit rich for my blood unfortunately. Anyway I do know that recycled gypsum is used in kitty litter and we have spread it on our Fields that are high in clay content for years with very good results.
If you want any further info I would be happy to help all I can. I have about two years worth of research material on this subject.

Gypsum : calcium sulfate dihydrate

Benefits of Gypsum : Gypsum provides the following benefits to soils:
* Improves water penetration and workability of an impermeable sodic soil.
* Softens soil with a high clay content.
* Helps neutralize soil acidity.
* Adds plant nutrients calcium and sulfur.

Scotts Dependable Services inc.

How would I send this guy a copy of a report? Save as a file and e-mail as an attachment? Is their a better way of sharing hard copy info with others on this site?

ranger520
11-04-2002, 04:14 AM
Thanks again for all of the input guys.

Scott

applehead
11-06-2002, 04:20 AM
If you dicide to put down gypsum, be dedicated. What I mean is your not going to see good results from putting down one ap. of gyp. It could take months to see results and you have to continue to apply gypsum or your money may as well be shipped to me. Then we can both gyp your client. Another thing to realize is the difference in good and bad quality gyp. However, it does work if you continually apply it. You may also want to try cal-lime with a high cal content.