PDA

View Full Version : Mowing along driveways and sidewalks?

walker-talker
11-01-2002, 09:44 AM
I was just wondering how many of you, when driving your ZTR, place your front caster on the concrete when mowing. I do this to get a slightly lower cut along the edge. I know this is an odd question, but I have always been curious what others do. I noticed that my hired hand does this as well.

Am I the only one?
MATT

Jimbo
11-01-2002, 04:17 PM
Im confused how running your one tire on the concrete would lower the cut? All the concrete I work with is higher than the grass (maybe yours is not).

Yes I do run my tire on whatever surface is lower so that it takes longer for the grass to get out of control. Usually the grass looks bad at the edges first.

Guido
11-01-2002, 04:21 PM
how low (or high) the paved surface is, but normally, as long as it won't cause scalping, yes, I do.

TLS
11-01-2002, 04:40 PM
I have a lot of lawns which go ....Street, Curb, 4 1/2' boulevard of grass, 4' concrete sidewalk, and then the front yards.

95% of those 4' Boulevards are SUNKEN below the curb and sidewalk. This is called POOR final grading. This area must be PACKED down before seeding with the tractor tires and compacted and then filled and raked with dirt and then seed. This is where I ride between the two concrete areas and keep the 60" Lazers gauge wheels from poping up over the concrete. This is where I have a BIG problem with running double blades, as the blades run lower than my deck skirt and will hit the curb or sidewalk!

The other 5% of my lawns have the grass area which is HIGHER than the curb or sidewalk. In this case I usually ride the front caster over the curb/sidewalk to get a little closer.

Another thing I do to cut this boulevard area good is to blow inward (sidewalk side) the entire length of property(s) and then turn around, close OCDC, and back track the boulevard blowing out toward street. This cuts this often times quicker growing area really well and prevents ANY stringers or lazy grass that didn't cut the first time. Anything blown out in street is usually only 1/8" to 1/4" small clippings and their blown over curb when done mowing anyway. This sets up the first perimeter swath beyond the sidewalk blowing in. It may take me an additional 1-2 minutes, but the first thing anyone sees is the boulevard. If its not cut REAL clean, the rest of the lawn doesn't matter! 1st impressions!

walker-talker
11-02-2002, 02:05 PM
Actually with most properties the curb sets higher that the turf, but the sidewalks set a little lower. I am particular refering to a condo association that I mow for. It's the front lawns of a bunch of duplexes that run about 1.5 city blocks.

TLS,
On this particular property I have turfboulevards as you mentioned. I don't have an OCDC on my Walker's SD deck. I end up blowing a lot of grass in the street, then have to blow it back up onto the property.

MATT