PDA

View Full Version : need help-starting lawn business

Lawn Star
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi guys, any help would be much appreciated. I lost my job and want to get started in the lawn business. Since my old job is still paying me a portion for the next 6 months, i have a little money and plenty of time to get started. I am also being given 10 accounts by the neighbors lawnguy who has quit the business. I already have equipment. What i was wondering is...what business license do i need? Steps to take for a business name? Insurance? And what do i need to know to keep my taxes legal? Must keep uncle Sam happy. I dont want to get in trouble with the IRS later down the line. Thanks for your time its greatly appreciated.

billslawn89
08-30-2011, 11:26 PM
here is a start..and good luck...10 billion lawn people in florida..lol

http://www.floridatrend.com/small_biz_article.asp?aID=54684

why did your neighbors lawnguy quit the business? just curious.......

billslawn89
08-30-2011, 11:27 PM
and another....

http://www.myflorida.com/taxonomy/business/starting%20a%20business%20in%20florida/

zturncutter
08-31-2011, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=billslawn89;4146157]here is a start..and good luck...10 billion lawn people in florida..lol

Very true, but just think of all the brand new equipment that is available for a song each winter. :laugh:

Ric
08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=billslawn89;4146157]here is a start..and good luck...10 billion lawn people in florida..lol

Very true, but just think of all the brand new equipment that is available for a song each winter. :laugh:

Z turn

Very True as you say. Each year we get a new crop of Hopefuls. Generally they catch the Cheap Snowbird who wants By the cut service until the end of rainy season. Then even Oct starts with the sale of equipment in order to eat and pay rent etc. By early December Prices are at their lowest and hold until maybe late Feb. Then Homeowner step in to buy for the coming season and prices start back up. I am guessing from past experience maybe 1 out of 10 are still around for a year. Maybe 1 in a 100 actually make it in the business. But those individuals are generally real business people.

Not everyone is a Businessman. Just because you are a good tech and know your Horticulture doesn't mean you are a Businessman. By the same token I have seen Businessmen with no Horticulture Knowledge do very well in this and other business.

justanotherlawnguy
09-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Jeez. Heard this story before.

Not to be discouraging.... I was actually gonna post something sarcastic but then it dawned on me: I know a guy selling his lawn biz for 30k. All accounts and equipment, all you do is add the truck. Grosses $7500/month. He got another full time job and cannot do both, so he us selling his biz..

That's about the only way to succeed right now is something turn key, cause starting from scratch ain't gonna do it..
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
09-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Jeez. Heard this story before.

Not to be discouraging.... I was actually gonna post something sarcastic but then it dawned on me: I know a guy selling his lawn biz for 30k. All accounts and equipment, all you do is add the truck. Grosses $7500/month. He got another full time job and cannot do both, so he us selling his biz..

That's about the only way to succeed right now is something turn key, cause starting from scratch ain't gonna do it..
Posted via Mobile Device

Just another Lawn Guy

Your Screen Name really says it all. How many times have I posted about Northern Loser who can't hold a real job and come to Florida. They sponge off of Grandma while rolling Grandpa's Crapsman out of the garage and are now expert landscapers.

I sorry but buying a existing Business can be a real bad move for someone without years of Experience. It doesn't long for everything to go south before the Learning curve kicks in.

In My Humble Opinion I feel discouraging someone from making a Big Mistake is the best thing for them. There are more Grass Cutter than Lawns in Florida right now because our unemployment rate is above the national average. This is not a good time to go into a business you have little or no experience in.

justanotherlawnguy
09-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I hear you. I met a guy who sold his business to someone and within 2 years the guy ran the business in the ground.

Not to mention most guys who try and sell their business never get anything for it.

You could give a noob all the equipment to run a biz along with 75 monthly paying customers, doesn't mean he is gonna know how to manage them!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I hear you. I met a guy who sold his business to someone and within 2 years the guy ran the business in the ground.

Not to mention most guys who try and sell their business never get anything for it.

You could give a noob all the equipment to run a biz along with 75 monthly paying customers, doesn't mean he is gonna know how to manage them!
Posted via Mobile Device

Just

I am not saying it doesn't happen in other business because it does. But it blows my mind that People in Other states basically buy their Pesticide license from a Cracker Jack Box and then come to Lawnsite asking What do I Use? When people ask for advice about going into any business, I tell them work for some who has a up and going concern and learn the Business first. Pragmatic advice to say the least. I am sure you know type that has a different Money making scheme each time you see them.These are dreamer who will never make it.

BTW I got a phone call saying a really pounded this poor Thread starter. I hope I pounded him more than enough to see the Light.

CkLandscapingOrlando
09-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Man where do northern guy's find them crackerjack boxes? hahahahahaha. Guys start lawn care comps everyday and some will make it. Some that make it wont know a thing when they start. But people move to cali everyday to become stars. Some make it and dont know a thing. But the vast majority get out there with 110* index in the shade, see they only got 5-10 houses and no money, and fall on their face. Hell guy's that know what there doing fail. The real question is how long can you afford to be poor before you make it. And when I say make it, I mean before you got 20 houses and the business is paying for it's own gas. I aint saying dont cut grass. But at least do it on the side nd find a job. You can do 10 houses in a day or the weekend wors case. Only 2 types of succesfull maint comps, lucky ones, and the ones that put in their time and hunger pains

yamadooski
09-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey "Just another lawn guy" If that guy still has his business for sale can you send me a PM and let me know?
I'm interested. Ive been established since 1992.

justanotherlawnguy
09-01-2011, 11:14 PM
You've got mail
Posted via Mobile Device

Evergreen321
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
When i first started my lawncare biz in orlando in 04' bunch of ppl said the same BS!! "You aint gonna make it 4 long" "its gonna b rough! You'll see" "i give you 2yrs tops".. Dude i heard it all! And also aside from doing my own lawn i didnt have any experience doing it and actually running a business!! But as far as experience in doing the work goes dont let these seasoned pros try n scare you.. Aint nothing 2 it! If it was "sooo hard" half of fla wouldent b doing lawncare!.. My advice.. Stay organized keep a good track schedule and finances and keep it simple keep a good 10-15 loyal good paying yr round clients, with irrigated lawns.. And when march/april comes around get you as many of these mow_blow&go clients!! You'll be alright long as you aint a complete dumb#ss you'll do jst fine.. And another tip!! NEVER EVER EVEEERRR (lol) take advice 4rm lawn guys in your area or even on forums.. Dude they dnt want you to succeed!! And them lawn guys up north! 4get bout it.. Its a whole other world down here!! Good luck brother!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Evergreen321
09-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Oh n another word of advice!! Try not 2 buy existing accts.. You'll see a bunch of them on craigslist specially this time of year!! Most r either mow blow &go and are fixing 2 cancel now in oct ish anyway .. Or pain in the #ss client they were fixing 2 drop anyway
Posted via Mobile Device