PDA

View Full Version : Installing new pavers - Iron and Irrigation

raymont4
08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Hello all - I am installing (with my landscaper) a new paver walkway and a portion of it will be bordering my new grass. Water from irrigation will hit it, even it if its just overspray, and i'm concerned that the iron will stain the pavers.
I'm trying to figure out if I should get 'earth blend' color to hopefull blend in with the eventual staining...but that is definitely not our first choice. We would rather get a light charcoal/granite color, but i'm very concerned that the Iron will stain.
Am I being overly concerned with this? Could I just use that concrete/stone cleaning solution a couple times/year? If its a risk, I'll just settle for the reddish/brown colors.
Thanks for your help!

TomG
08-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Hello all - I am installing (with my landscaper) a new paver walkway and a portion of it will be bordering my new grass. Water from irrigation will hit it, even it if its just overspray, and i'm concerned that the iron will stain the pavers.
I'm trying to figure out if I should get 'earth blend' color to hopefull blend in with the eventual staining...but that is definitely not our first choice. We would rather get a light charcoal/granite color, but i'm very concerned that the Iron will stain.
Am I being overly concerned with this? Could I just use that concrete/stone cleaning solution a couple times/year? If its a risk, I'll just settle for the reddish/brown colors.
Thanks for your help!

It should not be a problem, however if you are really concerned and you in fact have a lot of iron in your water you can always seal the pavers and that will greatly help to prevent staining. I recommend using a techi-seal sealer. If your contractor doesn't do sealing we do! :) (I see your in Southern NH)

DVS Hardscaper
08-31-2011, 12:12 AM
why can't your landscaper set forth some effort and make it so water isnt hitting the pavers? Drives me up the wall when i see irrigation water going places it shouldn't.

And yeah, youre worring about the small stuff. You pavers are going to fade. They're going to have a layer of dirt on them after a year. So my the time all that happens - some iron stains won't be noticable.

raymont4
09-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for your comments.....we installed the pavers (i helped for a discount) and they look great. But (of course), what I didnt realize is the method we were laying them. Essentially we put down a few inches of fine sand to make the base, installed the pavers and then put more sand down in between the cracks. We then topped it off with polymeric sand for weeds/ants, etc...this all made sense while we were doing it.
Now a week later, i have a few ant hills...I assume this is because we didnt use just poly, we filled 3/4 way with that leveling sand. I now read the instructions and see that we should have only used poly in between the cracks.

He is coming back for some other work, how should I handle this? Can he 'easily' dig up the sand without disrupting all of the pavers and fill it back up with just poly? he left me half a bag, but assume would need more....its 120 sq. foot.
Thanks for your help....I can prob do it myself, but thinking a landscaper would know better.

THanks again

DVS Hardscaper
09-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for your comments.....we installed the pavers (i helped for a discount) and they look great. But (of course), what I didnt realize is the method we were laying them. Essentially we put down a few inches of fine sand to make the base, installed the pavers and then put more sand down in between the cracks. We then topped it off with polymeric sand for weeds/ants, etc...this all made sense while we were doing it.
Now a week later, i have a few ant hills...I assume this is because we didnt use just poly, we filled 3/4 way with that leveling sand. I now read the instructions and see that we should have only used poly in between the cracks.

He is coming back for some other work, how should I handle this? Can he 'easily' dig up the sand without disrupting all of the pavers and fill it back up with just poly? he left me half a bag, but assume would need more....its 120 sq. foot.
Thanks for your help....I can prob do it myself, but thinking a landscaper would know better.

THanks again

No gravel?? You're supposed to have a min of 4-inch gravel base. COMPACTED. Followed by 1-inch bedding sand.....
Posted via Mobile Device

TomG
09-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes the joints should have only been filled with the polymeric sand. However what I tell customers is that polymeric sand helps deter ants and weeds but not prevent them. Your situation can be easily fixed by using a power washer and blowing out the joint sand and then re-filling with poly sand. I find a power washer with a heater works best(for hot water), and make sure the pavers are dry before re-installing the poly sand!

DVS Hardscaper
09-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Well first we need to back up here.

Ants live in soil.

If there is no geotextile fabric. And no gravel base. The poly sand isn't going to really change anything.

The ants are coming up from the soil under the paves and they're having a field day in the sand that you mentioned was Put down.

Interlocking pavements have been around long before poly sand. 1st step is to utilize proper base material and installation procedures...

Posted via Mobile Device

TomG
09-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Well first we need to back up here.

Ants live in soil.

If there is no geotextile fabric. And no gravel base. The poly sand isn't going to really change anything.

The ants are coming up from the soil under the paves and they're having a field day in the sand that you mentioned was Put down.

Interlocking pavements have been around long before poly sand. 1st step is to utilize proper base material and installation procedures...

Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed, I assumed the pavers were laid properly...and we all know what assuming does...:hammerhead:

raymont4
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks gentlemen. Without gravel I assume my walkway will be more prone to frost damage? Should I have him dig up the. Poly and put more down...used alliance supersand and noticed irt never really got hard either
Posted via Mobile Device

TomG
09-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Well I hate to tell you but it sounds like you didn't hire a contractor that knew what they were doing. Was he/she ICPI certified? If all he did was remove grass then put sand down (or was it stone dust?) and then pavers, your walkway most likely wont last over a year. Proper base and compaction is the most important part of any paver system.

The basic outline on what should have been done is... all loam/organic matter should have been removed, then if necessary more dirt dug out. Compact the sub base, lay in a geo-fabric (optional but recommended) Then a MINIMUM of 4" (we do 6") of 3/4" gravel base put in and compacted, as DVS said. Then 1" of bedding sand, then pavers, then brick edging, then poly sand, then compact pavers, then more poly sand, then blow off sand and wet in.

raymont4
09-07-2011, 11:34 PM
It was stone dust used, probably 3-4 inches of it. It was just a general landscaper who has done a number of walkways and of course the price was right
Posted via Mobile Device

TomG
09-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Stone dust is one of the worst things to use under a walkway. It holds moisture and that's not good for freeze thaw. Also using stone dust under pavers voids the manufactures lifetime warranty on the pavers. I'm guessing the pavers are Genest? The paver manufactures say pavers have to be installed to ICPI specs to keep the warranty, and stone dust is a big no, no with ICPI. You can find out a lot of good information here.

http://icpi.org/

Look at the tech specs section on the right side middle of page for installation guidelines.

DVS Hardscaper
09-07-2011, 11:49 PM
LOL - forget certification. The question is has this clown ever done Paver installation?

Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
09-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Posted via Mobile Device