PDA

View Full Version : November Fetilizer Suggestions for...

Boltzie
11-01-2002, 11:32 AM
...grub damaged lawn. Although parts of my lawn look dead, some posters have stated that the roots have just been shortened due to the feeding of the grubs and the lawn is not dead and to fertilize now so the lawn will come back in the spring.

One guy at Purdue suggested a 46-0-0 fertilizer. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Scott's is the only close supplier of fertilizer.

Fvstringpicker
11-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Couple of things: Are you sure about the disease/grubs. Make sure you accruately identify the pest. At any rate, you don't want to use high nitrogen applications this time of the year. You'll be promoting lush foliage at the expense of root development. Go with low N and mid level/high phosphorus and potassium. Certain formulations of "winterizing" fertilizers are good. Just keep the N on the low side

Greenie
11-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Actually, I had very good luck with a late (November) application of urea.

Check this out:

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2001/turf1012.htm

Runner
11-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Lesco 25-0-12, here.

Fvstringpicker
11-01-2002, 08:26 PM
After a little research, I stand corrected on the mid to high phosphorus in late fall. I was dead wrong on that call. I read the article from Purdue and learned. However, I believe high N going to be more beneficial in retaining color, shoot density and spring green up than root development. My concern is the root damage caused by the grubs. I was trying to get the best combination to store carbs and promote root growth rather than directing energy to succulent shoot growth. My fear is a weak root system going into winter. At this point I believe a 4-0-6 ratio is a good combination.

excel25
11-02-2002, 06:35 AM
The link would not work for me this morn.:(

Sammy
11-03-2002, 05:56 PM
It works. :)

MATTHEW
11-03-2002, 09:07 PM
You can hit all the bases with a 19-19-19 at a 1lb/1000 rate, but be careful about what you tell the customer.

Serious grub damage usually will not recover, but will fill in with weeds, especially if you nail it with a pre-emergent in the spring.

Good luck on this one.

Boltzie
11-05-2002, 09:20 AM
I'm actually worried that the lawn is completely dead. It is defiinately grub damage (rolled up some turf and id'd the little critters), but combined with the long period of not receiving any water this summer, I think the lawn is dead. The lawn is composed of 10 parts fescue and 1 part kentucky bluegrass. How can I tell if the lawn is dead? I don't want to waste my money and apply fertilizer if I need to remove the dead lawn next year. If that happens, I'll probably remove all the grass (even the good stuff) in the front and rear lawns. Thanks for any suggestions.

Fvstringpicker
11-05-2002, 09:30 AM
My recommendation is to take a sample to you area's dept of agriculture, extention office or maybe a nearby university. The way you describe it my guess is that grass has already flatlined.
Have you id'd the type grub yet?