PDA

View Full Version : Which box truck for lawn service route??

PLS-Tx
08-31-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm looking at these two trucks, also looking at a couple of other similar trucks.

04 GMC 3500, 6.0 gas, 125k miles, 16' box, 4' dovetail with 5' split ramp. $11,500.

06 Isuzu NPR, 5.2L L4 FI Turbo diesel, 111k miles, 14' box, 2' dovetail with 7' split ramp, $21,000.

Both are white. I will try to add pics of both.

PLS-Tx
08-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Anyone have thoughts on this?

CALandscapes
08-31-2011, 07:44 PM
I've been looking at similar trucks to both of those, and we currently have trucks with both motors; we're happy with both. Both of the prices that you've been quoted sound pretty standard... I'd say go with whatever your budget allows.

larryinalabama
08-31-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm looking at these two trucks, also looking at a couple of other similar trucks.

04 GMC 3500, 6.0 gas, 125k miles, 16' box, 4' dovetail with 5' split ramp. $11,500.

06 Isuzu NPR, 5.2L L4 FI Turbo diesel, 111k miles, 14' box, 2' dovetail with 7' split ramp, $21,000.

Both are white. I will try to add pics of both.

Defenately the 04 GMC, The 6.0 gas burner has a great reputation.

I have a 2000 chevy cutaway 18' box with dove tail. THe engine is the old style 350. The thing is great. I get 11mpg, most pickups with trailers dont get much more. Plus if you ever need to sell the GMC should retain more of your 11500 while the Isuzu will likley bring a lot less than 21000.

rollman
08-31-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a 2007 3500 with a 6.0 with a 12' box, not a bad motor . I don't use it for lawn work . I get around 13 mpg out of it . I was getting closer to 15 until I put cheap tires on it . I'll be switching over to a better tire to see if I get back the mpg I lost .

Bought my truck used 2 yrs ago with 18k on it , paid right around 19k , new it was about 30.

pinto n mwr
08-31-2011, 10:44 PM
isuzu NPR hands down. It is a TRUCK compared to the chev. Bullet proof diesel, litte less miles bus miles hand to hand, gas to diesel, the diesel is better. dove tail is good also. I would never buy a truck/trailer combo but if i did, NPR would be the way to go. Plus, NPR has a bigger payload compared to similar WEIGHT class trucks

PLS-Tx
08-31-2011, 11:07 PM
So that's two votes for the GMC and one for the Isuzu and one for either.

Hmmm, I like the price of the GMC but I sure like the fact that the Isuzu is more compact.

CALandscapes
09-01-2011, 07:04 AM
The size factor does come in to play - the isuzu is definitely more
compact. IMO it also looks better... I really think it comes down to budget... Personally, I'd probably lean toward the Isuzu; not because it's better, persay, but just because I prefer it.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
09-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Go for the extra 2', I thought my box at 18' would be too big, but its not. I can load 50 bails of pine straw and still work my regular route.

SNAPPER MAN
09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Isuzu for sure. Isuzus go for 300,000 miles easy. You will never get that many miles out of that gmc. The gmc would save money in the short term but in the long haul the Isuzu is a easy choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

StihlMechanic
09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
When I was a tech at a JD dealer ship we had an NPR with a landscape bed for deliveries of equipment. The thing would turn on a dime, very easy to maneuver and drive. I would service it in the off season (winter). Everything was easy to get to by flipping the cab forward. One year we had a new guy who couldn't drive a manual trans and burned the clutch up. Compared to other vehicles, replacing the clutch was less labor intensive due to the cab over design. I would imagine you are buying an auto trans, but if it were manual the design equals less labor at a shop saving money. Personally, my plans are to buy an NPR as well. Pulling a trailer is so inefficient.

PLS-Tx
09-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I'm leaning more towards the Isuzu NPR.

I would much rather have the 16' box than 14' but it seems like it's a better truck and much more compact.

We do plan to keep our 20' enclosed trailer for now. If the Isuzu works out like I think it will we may sell the enclosed and get a second Isuzu.

StihlMechanic
09-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Is that in Ft. Worth? I saw the same truck online at a dealership.

PLS-Tx
09-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Is that in Ft. Worth? I saw the same truck online at a dealership.

Yes, Industrial Power.

PLS-Tx
09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Anyone else have thoughts on which truck would be best?

The main area of concern for me with the Isuzu is the fact it was an Aaron's rental truck. I'm sure it has seen it's share of abuse with the kids that drive them.

larryinalabama
09-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Anyone else have thoughts on which truck would be best?

The main area of concern for me with the Isuzu is the fact it was an Aaron's rental truck. I'm sure it has seen it's share of abuse with the kids that drive them.

Post some pics of tghe GMC

Im not positive but the only major difference between the 2 trucks is one is a deisel and the othe r is a gas burner. I think general motors still owns Isuzu, and the 2 trucks most likley use the same transmission and differentual as well as breaking system, and most of the electronics are likley the same.

PLS-Tx
09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
I tried to copy and past the GMC pics but couldn't get it to work. I will look for another way to post them.

PLS-Tx
09-03-2011, 11:07 PM
This is what the GMC looks like.

StihlMechanic
09-03-2011, 11:48 PM
I know this will start a war but expect trans issues with the GMC. The 6.0 is a good engine though.

larryinalabama
09-04-2011, 09:53 PM
This is what the GMC looks like.

Thats basicall what Im running.

I dont know what the transmission would be, and as far as I know the Isuzu uses the same transmission as the GMC.

PLS-Tx
09-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Thats basicall what Im running.

I dont know what the transmission would be, and as far as I know the Isuzu uses the same transmission as the GMC.

How many miles on your truck?

f50lvr2
09-05-2011, 09:31 AM
I'd probably go with the GMC mainly because of the gas engine and the purchase price, it'll cost you less over the long run (unless maybe we're assuming you will actually keep it to 500,000miles). The biggest advantage to the Isuzu is the turning radius.

I bought and '07 NPR HD last year with a 13' dump body for my maintenance truck. I probably wouldn't go that route if I were doing it again. The ride is absolutely BRUTAL, it tops out at 60mph and gets 10mpg. The 5.2L diesel feels very stout but is underpowered compared to the gas engine and in my experience just as thirsty. Just my .02c

larryinalabama
09-05-2011, 10:23 AM
How many miles on your truck?

My truck is a 2000 Chevyrolet, with the old style 5.7. It currently has 108000 miles. It doesnt leak or burn a drop of oil.

These same cutaway are similar to what uhaul and penskee rents. They get far more weight put in them then we ever will put in them.

Both deisel and gas burners have their advantages

Pros of diesel is more torque and better milage and longevety.
Cons of diesel they are expensive to maintain. Harder to find someone to work on them. Hard winter time starts. Diesel fuel now costs more than gas. They also smoke and are loud.

Pros of gas. Less maintance, fuel systems are ecletronic for better realability. Easy do it yourself maintance. Parts eaisy to get resulting is less down time.

PLS-Tx
09-08-2011, 12:31 AM
My truck is a 2000 Chevyrolet, with the old style 5.7. It currently has 108000 miles. It doesnt leak or burn a drop of oil.

These same cutaway are similar to what uhaul and penskee rents. They get far more weight put in them then we ever will put in them.

Both deisel and gas burners have their advantages

Pros of diesel is more torque and better milage and longevety.
Cons of diesel they are expensive to maintain. Harder to find someone to work on them. Hard winter time starts. Diesel fuel now costs more than gas. They also smoke and are loud.

Pros of gas. Less maintance, fuel systems are ecletronic for better realability. Easy do it yourself maintance. Parts eaisy to get resulting is less down time.

Wow, that's low miles for a 2000. The 04 I'm looking at has 125k.

I haven't decided which truck I'm going to get. We may wait until about Dec. to get one.

This way we will have the winter to get it set up the way we want it.

cajunboy
09-08-2011, 01:31 AM
I have a 2004 isuzu npr 16 foot box I bought with 58000 miles almost 2 years ago. It was an Aarons rental truck prior to me purchasing it. Im in louisiana and went to georgia to pick it up. The only problem I have had with it is rust. The truck had been in ohio previously and power steering line and one of the brake lines broke on me. I guess from all the salt in the winter on the roads. It has been a great truck. I also have a 2002 Isuzu npr with a flatbed style. The enclosed is only good for lawn maintenance and hauling annual color. It sucks for landscaping. If you want to see a pic of the enclosed one, do a search on here for "trailer wrap worth the cost". Mine is the one with the wrap on the box.

PLS-Tx
09-09-2011, 12:44 AM
I'd probably go with the GMC mainly because of the gas engine and the purchase price, it'll cost you less over the long run (unless maybe we're assuming you will actually keep it to 500,000miles). The biggest advantage to the Isuzu is the turning radius.

I bought and '07 NPR HD last year with a 13' dump body for my maintenance truck. I probably wouldn't go that route if I were doing it again. The ride is absolutely BRUTAL, it tops out at 60mph and gets 10mpg. The 5.2L diesel feels very stout but is underpowered compared to the gas engine and in my experience just as thirsty. Just my .02c

Tight turning radius is a plus for sure. Although, anything would be better than the 3/4 ton truck with 8' bed and 20' enclosed trailer with an extended tongue. :dizzy:

I need a football field to turn that rig around. I'm trying not to compare it to the current rig. I drive it but plan to have an employee drive the box truck.

I plan to purchase a second box truck once we see how the first one works out. This is making me lean towards the GMC, $23k for two instead $42k for two.

As far as miles I don't think we will put a lot on it, tight route. The truck I have now I have had for almost 3.5 years and it has 69k. We would put even less on a box truck.

muddywater
09-15-2011, 04:01 PM
The price on that isuzu is too high. I would focus on 03-05 npr. you should be able to find one with around 100k for 10-12k.

PLS-Tx
09-15-2011, 11:35 PM
The price on that isuzu is too high. I would focus on 03-05 npr. you should be able to find one with around 100k for 10-12k.

ok, thanks.

Anyone know of good places to find Isuzu's like this?

Also, what can we expect to spent on a dovetail and ramp system?