PDA

View Full Version : Wood chipper/shredder

Larson Lawn Care
08-31-2011, 05:32 PM
For the past week I have been trying to research wood chipper/shredders. I don't need it for tree work, but I do the occasional fence line clearing, hauling off branches from customers yards, shrub trimming, etc. So the 3" will be the max. My price range is $2,000 or less. Here are my options: Mackissic Mighty mac (around $800) with 205cc I believe. The Craftsman 305cc (which is the only one that I can find with several reviews; which are good) the price is same as mighty mac. The Echo Bear Cat Several different models, but the one I had in mind is the SC3342 with 342cc which costs around $2,000. I won't be making a whole lot of money off of the machine, but I want something for convenience. Any suggestions for another machine, or comments on the ones mentioned will be greatly appreciated.

Larson Lawn Care
08-31-2011, 05:36 PM
I forgot to mention, I will need something that I can walk behind, because I don't have a riding mower to tow it, and I definitely don't want a huge one that I tow with my truck.

ed2hess
08-31-2011, 06:52 PM
We bought a Troy Bilt with about the same intention that you have on using it on small jobs. Found it to be totally worthless in that it took so much more time to fool with it. We can cut up the stuff throw it in a trailer and be done with it. We then bought a bigger chipper which takes up to 6 inches and again it sits back at the shop. Dealing with chips without a dumb truck is no good. Just our 2 cents.

newz7151
08-31-2011, 07:26 PM
For the past week I have been trying to research wood chipper/shredders. I don't need it for tree work, but I do the occasional fence line clearing, hauling off branches from customers yards, shrub trimming, etc. So the 3" will be the max. My price range is $2,000 or less. Here are my options: Mackissic Mighty mac (around $800) with 205cc I believe. The Craftsman 305cc (which is the only one that I can find with several reviews; which are good) the price is same as mighty mac. The Echo Bear Cat Several different models, but the one I had in mind is the SC3342 with 342cc which costs around $2,000. I won't be making a whole lot of money off of the machine, but I want something for convenience. Any suggestions for another machine, or comments on the ones mentioned will be greatly appreciated.

Bahh, the SC3206 would do what you probably want to do, at about $1100. The 3342 would likely be overkill for you. The 3206 is still a belt driven unit.
Echo-Bearcat (formerly Crary Industries) is a good American built product, you don't have to worry about salt corrosion due to its import feature.

I don't see ANYTHING on the Sears website that would be worth wasting your money on. You've got to remember, MTD has the build contract for the Crapsman stuff in 2011 and suggestively forward, so all you're buying is a different branded TroyBilt, Yardman, Yardmachines or any other MTD product.

As far as that Stanley brand.. well, we can't talk about that overseas brand here because GXi is a Lawnsite sponsor and it'd get the thread deleted.

Larson Lawn Care
08-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I know I don't want a Troy Bilt, and I didn't give the cheaper Bear cat model any attention because I was afraid it was the same as maybe the Mighty Mac or others which are a bit less money. My comparisons are based on the cc ratings. I'm not entirely sure what to look for in a machine, I know I want a well know durable brand, more catered to a professional or large property home owner. I don't know what to look for when it comes to the blades engine type, etc. I'll do some research on the Bear Cat sc3206.

newz7151
09-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I know I don't want a Troy Bilt, and I didn't give the cheaper Bear cat model any attention because I was afraid it was the same as maybe the Mighty Mac or others which are a bit less money. My comparisons are based on the cc ratings. I'm not entirely sure what to look for in a machine, I know I want a well know durable brand, more catered to a professional or large property home owner. I don't know what to look for when it comes to the blades engine type, etc. I'll do some research on the Bear Cat sc3206.

most of the MTD ones are going to be direct drive off the engine shaft, the SC3206 runs on a belt and idler setup. You'll appreciate the belt driven units for the same reason a belt driven blade lawnmower is better than one bolted direct to the shaft if you ever hit something (or somehow jam the chipper up).

Larson Lawn Care
09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I'll definitely buy a belt drive machine. If anyone has experience with both, how would the Bear Cat SC3206 compare to a Mackissic Mighty Mac SC800?

ed2hess
09-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Ours is the entry level vermeer and it belt driven with 25 hp engine.

djlunchbox
09-02-2011, 10:43 AM
we have the bear cat. I'd say that we never....ever.... use it. we thought that we would use it more, but it is just too time consuming. it will chip pretty well tho.

ed2hess
09-02-2011, 06:17 PM
we have the bear cat. I'd say that we never....ever.... use it. we thought that we would use it more, but it is just too time consuming. it will chip pretty well tho.
Same with us. Now I seen that Billygoat came out with an aluminum insert dump bed for leaf guys and I was curious if that could be used for chips. Four years ago we had a massive job in the winter to trim about 100 trees. We rented the biggest chipper we could fine and chipped into big trash containers. We hauled the limps on trailer to the central chip site. That went pretty well. Our 6" chipper sat at the office.

bobcat48
09-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Craftsman will work.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-04-2011, 12:58 AM
I don't like anything less then a 12" Diesel powered chipper. Any chipper less then a 6" is going to be anemic. It would be faster to have one guy in your trailer with a small 12" saw chopping up all the material the ground guys are feeding him. If you cut the stuff down to about 12" lengths you can reduce a massive pile of brush by about 90%.

Chippers that cost just a few grand are for rich home owners that have money to burn and lots of time to waste. The small chippers are good for sharpening pencils but that's about it. A good $600 Stihl 200T to use in the trailer would be a better investment.

Larson Lawn Care
09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
I am a solo operator. When I bring the branches etc. home (because I don't want to pay the dump) I break it up and put it in cans for yard waste pick up, or I burn it. I don't do any tree work. I would only use the thing maybe 10 times per year so about once a month. But I also pass on jobs that require hauling too much brush. I definitely don't want a small homeowners model. I want something with power that will fit my minimal needs.

clericot
05-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Did you buy the Bear Cat?? I´m in the same dilema. Did it work for you??
Thanks for your response

Moose's Mowing
05-18-2012, 05:12 PM
FWIW, if you really want a chipper, get something that you can use. I've rented a few of those smaller chippers from the rental places and they suck. broken belts, jammed cuter heads, lack of power. like the other guy said, it's more time consuming screwing around with those small deals than it woulda been to just cut it up with a chainsaw. I've used those massive diesel jobs too and those are awesome. I wouldn't spend a dime on some 3" model. find the biggest model you can afford, then buy the next bigger model. think about resale value as well. nobody is going to want a small 3" chipper down the road when you want to unload it. a larger unit will be easier to sell.

Bashby
05-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I bought one of those little 3" ones a long time ago. It worked ok but kinda slow and labor intensive. I qui kly figured out is a lot easier to pile it up and burn it if you can.
Posted via Mobile Device