PDA

View Full Version : Gravely 260Z fuel intake question

Bayrat
08-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Seems this year has been the one for equipment breakdown for me. One excavator with a leaky final drive, Gravely deck switch and now a fuel issue with the Gravely.

The right side saddle tank has a restriction someplace. The mower will run but at odd intervals it runs out of fuel. Switching to the left side tank seems to eliminate the issue.

How the heck does a person get to the fuel pickup in those tanks? I see the fitting on the side but am reluctant to just pull that thing out.

Thanks!

dutch1
08-31-2011, 07:46 PM
The fitting passes through the tank bushing and the fuel line is attached to the fitting inside the tank. Gravely used some inferior drop lines and I've replaced several that were either broken off or cracked sufficiently to allow air to be drawn rather than fuel.

It's been a while, but as I recall I pulled the fitting out of the tank bushing then worked the tank bushing out of the tank along with the fuel line if still attached. If the fuel line is loose in the tank you can use a length of wire with a hook on the end to fish the line from the tank. Seems as though the fuel line clamp would not pass through the bushing but I may be mistaken. The fuel line has a weighted screen at the bottom of the tank and it may have rotted off the fuel line as well. Replace the tank bushing if it is hard or has some cracks developing.

When replacing the fuel line use 1/4" ID Tygon line--it will not deteriorate as quickly as the clear line that was initially installed, depending on the age of the unit.

Bayrat
08-31-2011, 11:31 PM
The fitting passes through the tank bushing and the fuel line is attached to the fitting inside the tank. Gravely used some inferior drop lines and I've replaced several that were either broken off or cracked sufficiently to allow air to be drawn rather than fuel.

It's been a while, but as I recall I pulled the fitting out of the tank bushing then worked the tank bushing out of the tank along with the fuel line if still attached. If the fuel line is loose in the tank you can use a length of wire with a hook on the end to fish the line from the tank. Seems as though the fuel line clamp would not pass through the bushing but I may be mistaken. The fuel line has a weighted screen at the bottom of the tank and it may have rotted off the fuel line as well. Replace the tank bushing if it is hard or has some cracks developing.

When replacing the fuel line use 1/4" ID Tygon line--it will not deteriorate as quickly as the clear line that was initially installed, depending on the age of the unit.

Thank you Dutch, I did not want to start yanking on the thing without some advise and I can't find a diagram on the part anyplace. Of course I just filled the tanks so will need to pump them down now. :laugh:

Bayrat
08-31-2011, 11:33 PM
By the way, age wise, I purchased new on 2005.

dutch1
09-01-2011, 07:17 AM
This parts breakdown is for a 260z with 27 Kaw and 60" deck although the tank and related parts are pretty much the same throughout the z line. Unfortunately I didn't see the fuel line drops/screens in the diagram.

http://www.wiseequipment.net/pages/oemparts?aribrand=GRV#/Gravely/992036-000101_27_HP_Kawasaki_60%22_Deck/Gas-Fuel_Tanks_And_Hoses/1931/3192

Bayrat
09-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't see it either Dutch but thanks for posting this. Perhaps by Saturday I will have time to pump the tank down and see what is going on. :drinkup:

Bayrat
09-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks to all of you for your help! :clapping: Today I found the plastic intake hose at the bottom of the tank, repaired with new tygon tubing and all is well. Not so sure I can blame Gravely but rather E-10 may well be the culprit.

For some reason I don't receive email notices of replies to subscribed threads, not certain what is up with that.

Mowingman
09-03-2011, 10:21 PM
There was a factory service bullitin on those fuel pickup tubes. When I was a Gravely dealer, I replaced a whole bunch of those tubes under warranty. The warranty on those was extended for a long time, as it was a widespread defect involving lots of the Gravely ZTR models. Gravely had a kit that was used for replacing those pickups. it included a pair of new pickup tubes, as well as the tank bushings.
I don't know now, but you might take your failed parts to the Gravely dealer, along with your machine S/N, and see if they will give replacement parts for free. your machine was built during the time that problem surfaced.

Bayrat
09-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks Mowman, I shall try that!