PDA

View Full Version : Telephone land line

larryinalabama
08-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Is there any reason to keep a land line telephone for a solo operator? How many of you fellers are just using your cell phones.
Just looking to cut business as well as personal expenses

rodzilla94
08-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Is there any reason to keep a land line telephone for a solo operator? How many of you fellers are just using your cell phones.

me and my wife just have cell phones. land lines are a wast of money

jsslawncare
08-31-2011, 09:19 PM
5 cell phones in my house. No land lines.

Rednekdaddy
08-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Things suck around here! To get Internet access through our local phone company (only service available) you must have a land line!!

White Gardens
08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Outside of Bloomington/Normal, Danvers, where I live, cell phone service is horrible. So we've always had a land-line for the biz to make sure to receive all my calls and such.

Luckily a company is finally putting a cell tower on the edge of town, so I might switch my land-line number over to a cell phone and axe the land-line.

topsites
08-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, unfortunately many years ago I used to think that I didn't need a landline anymore either,
but today the unfortunate answer is yes, you still need it.

And the reason is that if you ever need to call one of these 1-800-support places
such as your Internet or cellular or cable service provider or perhaps the electric company
or who the hell knows why you'd have to call such a place, but believe me the day will come...
And...
The reason you still need a landline is because cellular telephones can't always hold a charge LONG enough for some of the HOLD times.
The day will come, they put you on hold for hours, and I mean 2, 4, 6, I've been on the phone for 8 hours with a company before, one call.
Granted they don't always put us on hold but sometimes they play the circle jerk game by "transferring" the call to...
As they so nicely put it "elevating this problem to the next level" which in truth means transferring you to the next representative in line,
games like these can literally go on forever, folks working with these companies... They so don't care to the point that their physical offices
have bulletproof glass surrounding the receptionist so one way or another if you want your problem fixed, you may still need a land line.
Because the cellular just doesn't have that eternal phone call ability.
And if it drops the call TWO hours into it, you may have to start ALL over.
After the phone's charged back up.

Not to mention it sure is nice putting those calls on speaker phone while on hold.
With today's triple play, it's hardly $10 a month more.

larryinalabama
08-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Things suck around here! To get Internet access through our local phone company (only service available) you must have a land line!!

Used to be that way here, however technoligy eventually reaches us rednecks. I have the new verizon wireless, the "hot spot " is the size of a cell phone.

larryinalabama
08-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, unfortunately many years ago I used to think that I didn't need a landline anymore either,

And the reason is that if you ever need to call one of these 1-800-support places
such as your Internet or cellular or cable service provider or perhaps the electric company
or who the hell knows why you'd have to call such a place, but believe me the day will come...

The reason you still need a landline is because cellular telephones can't always hold a charge LONG enough for some of the HOLD times.
The day will come, they put you on hold for hours, and I mean 2, 4, 6, I've been on the phone for 8 hours with At&t before, one call.
Granted they don't always put us on hold but sometimes they play the circle jerk game by "transferring" the call to...
As they so nicely put it "elevating this problem to the next level" which in truth means transferring you to the next representative in line,
games like these can literally go on forever, they so don't care to the point that their physical offices have bulletproof glass surrounding
the receptionist so one way or another if you want your problem fixed, you may still need a land line.

Not to mention it sure is nice putting those wait tunes on speaker phone while on hold.

Thats funny, however if customer nonservice ever picks up is some jack......well someone from India who dont really care about your problem anyway, that is unless you can give him the 3 digets on the back of your credit card.

justanotherlawnguy
09-01-2011, 01:42 AM
If you live in the sticks, you probably still need a landline. Otherwise, what's the point? It's a waste of money!
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
09-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Put cell on charger....speaker phone...but do you have enough minutes.

My worst all day bounce back and forth from.tech support to billing was with Verizon land.line now frontier. Just cell phones and vonage here.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Haggerty
09-01-2011, 05:51 AM

I think you have got to have a cell phone. If you're waiting untill the end of the day to return a call you're missing business.

lukemelo216
09-01-2011, 08:24 AM
yes we have a landline. I dont like people calling my cell phone all the time, plus I like to have a local number instead of using a cell phone as a mainline. I also keep it for fax usage. ITs really easy to fax over a contract or something to someone sign and fax back. Yes you can email, but then you have to print sign, rescan and then email.

AI Inc
09-01-2011, 08:26 AM
I hate talking to customers on a cell, Especialy if they are also on a cell, just a hair better then 2 tin cans and a string.

lukemelo216
09-01-2011, 08:35 AM
yes we have a landline. I dont like people calling my cell phone all the time, plus I like to have a local number instead of using a cell phone as a mainline. I also keep it for fax usage. ITs really easy to fax over a contract or something to someone sign and fax back. Yes you can email, but then you have to print sign, rescan and then email.

AI Inc
09-01-2011, 08:38 AM
yeah , we heard ya the first time.

LawnoftheMonth
09-01-2011, 11:13 AM
No land line here.

Dr.NewEarth
09-01-2011, 02:10 PM
We send invoices via fax. Also, the cell phone costs money to use. I talk to friends and family on the land line and there is no extra air time charged.

Also, up here if you have a business line that is a land line, the yellow pages have to print your company info in a black and white line ad for free.

The land line is another business expense. Add what it costs per month into your overhead. Divide your yearly costs into how many hours you work per year and tack it onto your hourly fee, include a return on investment and a profit too.

Patriot Services
09-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Have you looked into the satellite broadband service. No limitations on location as long as you can shoot the right angle with the dish.:usflag:

DitchDr
09-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Its part of our cable/internet/phone bundle. But we use it as a fax line as it seems every telemarketer calls

David Haggerty
09-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Cell phones are big here in SW Ohio. Really good coverage. Nobody looks at the yellow pages, they get their services off of the internet.
A customer asked me "Don't you have a cell phone? How will we get hold of you if we need something?" All of their management personnel had a cell phone. I got a cell phone.
Cell phones may not be so big in other areas. You'd have to figure what it's like in your market.
If I get a customer who I think might be a PITA with calling all the time I give them my wife's cell phone number. I tell them that I can't hear the phone ringing when I'm on the mower. It's true, but there is voice mail and I check it regularly. Messages are usually from my wife, "You've GOT to call whats-their-name, they're in a panic!

Richard Martin
09-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I definately have a land line. I also have a Google Iphone line that rings as many other numbers as you want it to. Right now it rings both my home phone and my cell phone at the same time. It's free and I don't know how they pull it off.

Patriot Services
09-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Beyond cell phone, smart phone. Although I have a laptop and docking station I still need my smart phone to do business. I started using using Square this season and my customers love it. I can't imagine being a modern business and not having it.:usflag:

weeze
09-21-2011, 11:51 PM
i haven't had a land line in over 10 years...cell phone is all i have....i really can't believe land lines are still around.

32vld
09-23-2011, 12:01 PM
When Irene came through my area we lost power from 230 am sunday till 2 pm monday. Some people where still out for over 7 days.

Power goes out cell towers go out.

Land phones never go out.

Snow storms same story.

I do residential snow removal and live in a suburban area and yet there are cell phone dead spots. Having a land line people where able to get my wife on the land line which got me their business. A phone call that does not get answered is a job lost.

People are told when my blower's are running I don't hear my cell, so use both numbers, and I check my cell every time a job is done and return all missed calls.

starbase12
09-23-2011, 12:51 PM
April 27 of this year a major tornado ripped thru my town. I was with out power for two weeks, and my land line was out for two months. Land lines do go down.

Patriot Services
09-23-2011, 03:11 PM
When a hurricane rips through here cell service is first up and running. Providers have towable generators they set up at each tower. Works great.
Posted via Mobile Device

sealcutter
09-23-2011, 04:07 PM
I have two, one for the fax and the other is for the business.

weeze
09-24-2011, 12:10 AM
yeah we had tornadoes and power was out for a week straight...i had cell phone working the whole week and the land lines were down the whole week.

Total Lawn and Sprinkler
10-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Unless you're locked into some Internet/cable package I would ditch the land line. I rarely have to worry about my phone dying, and I never have to worry about not being around to answer it.

I have heard it's better for customer perception to have a local number.

hackitdown
10-26-2011, 06:46 AM
I have used my cell number since day one. Never saw the point of the land line.

GMLC
10-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Have not had a land line for years. My cell doesn't go out when the power is out. We are without power a lot during the winter. I don't belive cell towers need power as they are on mountain tops here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
10-28-2011, 03:38 AM
I don't belive cell towers need power as they are on mountain tops here.

Okay, this just begs the questions here...

Do mountain tops have some sort of mystical energy that the amps and repeaters in the cell tower use?

Or are they getting their power from outer space?

Patriot Services
10-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Okay, this just begs the questions here...

Do mountain tops have some sort of mystical energy that the amps and repeaters in the cell tower use?

Or are they getting their power from outer space?

Diesel generators built in and solar backups.:usflag:

BPS##
10-28-2011, 06:52 AM

And...
The day will come, they put you on hold for hours, and I mean 2, 4, 6, I've been on the phone for 8 hours with a company before, one call.
games like these can literally go on forever, folks working with these companies... They so don't care to the point that their physical offices
have bulletproof glass surrounding the receptionist so one way or another if you want your problem fixed, you may still need a land line.
Because the cellular just doesn't have that eternal phone call ability.
And if it drops the call TWO hours into it, you may have to start ALL over.
After the phone's charged back up.

Not to mention it sure is nice putting those calls on speaker phone while on hold.
With today's triple play, it's hardly $10 a month more.

8 hrs??????????? You have far more patience that I ever would.

I value my time more than that and wouldn't be able to waste that much time on them.

So far the longest I've ever been on the phone with tech support was 1.5 hrs with Verizon support for my air card. There was little hold time on that call. Thats how long it took me and the tech to figure out what was wrong.

As for the landline............ my wife and I cut the cord probably in 05 or 06.

GMLC
10-28-2011, 07:00 AM
I could be more than wrong here as I don't know how cell towers work. But they are in some remote areas without external power sources. If they do require power they must be self contained. And again we loose power for a week at a time due to ice storms and I have never not had my cell work due to power loss.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Haggerty
10-28-2011, 07:35 AM
The truth is that land lines are dying a slow and agonizing death. The sooner you get used to using a cell phone for business the better off you'll be.

I'm studying my wife's new Android 4-G from Verizon. In a couple of years a "smart" phone is going to be all there is.

I met a fellow landscaper at a gas station. I said "It looks like rain."
He said, "Wait a minute, I'll look." He whips out his cell phone, looks at the radar screen and says, "Nope, the cloud's going north of us."

With technology like that a cell phone is a no brainer.

DanaMac
10-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Depends on the size of your biz. During my busy season, I can get 50-75 calls a day from existing or new customers. No way I'm answering all those calls. And I spend 2-4 hours a day on the phone doing scheduling. But I'm not solo either.

Richard Martin
10-28-2011, 09:45 AM
I use my cell phone as a supplement to my land line. It is rare that a customer ever gets ahold of my cell number. The main reason being that I simply cannot hear the cell phone most of the time. The call quality is iffy most of the time too, especially if the person calling you is on a cell phone too. I hate having one of those "Huh, I can't hear you" phone calls.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Land Line here. I use it for toll free, internet, and fax. The yellow page line listing is a bonus too. Many customers don't like to call a cell, but my cell number is on my message greeting if someone doesn't want to wait.

GMLC
10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
21 inches of snow, 300k without power, landlines out and my cell still works.
Posted via Mobile Device

scotts lawn care
11-01-2011, 07:43 AM
land line and cell here.

cancelled my land line for a few months, ...bad idea! some customers could not get ahold of me. got the same # back right after i found out some customers didnt know my cell #.
i was amazed all my customers did not know my cell #.
oh well now i know, some people still insist on calling our home phone. :confused:

DanaMac
11-01-2011, 07:46 AM
I did get rid of my home land line, but I have a business line at my home, and one at my shop.

Patriot Services
11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
land line and cell here.

cancelled my land line for a few months, ...bad idea! some customers could not get ahold of me. got the same # back right after i found out some customers didnt know my cell #.
oh well now i know, some people still insist on calling our home phone. :confused:

Whose fault is it that your customers weren't notified of the change? You couldn't put a note in their bill? Don't ever change your mailing address, you might go broke. All my contact info is on every invoice, business card, flyer and letterhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Haggerty
11-01-2011, 05:03 PM
land line and cell here.

You can take your landline telephone number to your cell phone. Some phone companies will try to explain to you why you can't. But just stop the conversation right there and say "Never mind, I'll just ask them at the Public Utilities Commission why I can't have my own phone number".

You'll get your phone number.

Gee, I havn't even talked on a landline in years. This whole thread is for people reluctant to embrace new technology. Modernize or get left behind.

Exact Rototilling
11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Yes you can port hardline numbers to cell phone. My business main line is a local recognized # that I moved to a cell...and.I.ported my old home number to a Vonage line for a.fraction of.the cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

Misterbluesky
11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I took 2 land line business numbers that I had for years, called verizon and got remote call forwarding on these two lines now to my cell. New and old customers call business number (still listed in Yellow pages, biz cards, invoices, etc.) & cell phone rings with caller ID. They charge less ($16/month per line), no one has my direct cell number, I know all day who called & when, VM takes messages when running equipment, return calls as fast or as slow as I want. Home phone doubles as fax with identa-ring service ($7/month) and those long 800 calls to customer service. Cell plan has free long distance, free weekends, & free cell to cell calling to any body. In coming calls on caller ID with area codes I don't recognize are usually tele marketers selling BS I don't want any way & can deny there call with touch of a button. It works for me.

cpllawncare
11-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Cell towers do in fact need power, I used to work for the power company here and have installed power to many a new cell tower, they also have diesel backup generators most onsite that either auto start when power goes out or can be remotely started if need be for some reason. And if you ever feel the need to break into one they know immediatly your there.

Richard Martin
11-02-2011, 03:31 AM
I took 2 land line business numbers that I had for years, called verizon and got remote call forwarding on these two lines now to my cell. New and old customers call business number (still listed in Yellow pages, biz cards, invoices, etc.) & cell phone rings with caller ID. They charge less ($16/month per line), no one has my direct cell number, I know all day who called & when,

Google Phone has a similar plan. The main difference is Google Phone is free. If you call the number listed on my website my house phones and cell phone all ring at the same time. I can answer no matter which phone I pick up. The one disadvantage is there is no caller ID. My home phone is also VOIP through Suddenlink cable.

How's that for embracing technology.

Charles
11-02-2011, 06:43 AM
You can take your landline telephone number to your cell phone. Some phone companies will try to explain to you why you can't. But just stop the conversation right there and say "Never mind, I'll just ask them at the Public Utilities Commission why I can't have my own phone number".

You'll get your phone number.

Gee, I havn't even talked on a landline in years. This whole thread is for people reluctant to embrace new technology. Modernize or get left behind.

This is true. You do lose your cell number though. Your cell phone provider can make the change for you

scotts lawn care
11-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Whose fault is it that your customers weren't notified of the change? You couldn't put a note in their bill? Don't ever change your mailing address, you might go broke. All my contact info is on every invoice, business card, flyer and letterhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

yes, all my info is on every invoice i mail each month. but yes, i should of informed the customers of the change. 95% of my customer base calls my cell phone, which is what i prefer.
but some do like to call our home phone.
i have a message saying to try my cell # if they want. :)