PDA

View Full Version : Start up Stories - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

lawnguy48
08-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Looking into starting a lawn care business and would like to hear peoples stories of there first year and what they would change from it if they could.

joshman108
09-02-2011, 11:28 PM
First year? What a trip.
Highschool kid, didn't know squat. Surprisingly though, my experience was quite good.

I started out with hand written signs that washed off in the first rain. My parents said they wouldnt amount to anything, but to this day hand made signs (although now I print and laminate them) remain my most effective advertising.

Also, the first lawn I ever cut I ended cutting some sort of wire around the guys yard. I dont know how much it would have cost me to replace it, probably way more than I had. The guy let me off (but fired me) but coming that close to a potential disaster on my very first run taught me alot about toughening up, getting ready for the unexpected, and opened my eyes to what is going to happen when you run your own business.
Crap is gonna happen. Thats why most people work for someone else. But in my mind, the good outweighs the bad by alot.

Exact Rototilling
09-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Yes an extremely homemade sign getting more calls.than an expensive one....not surprised. Potential caller is thinking they're going to get a better deal than with an expensive sign.
Posted via Mobile Device

cutbetterthanyou
09-03-2011, 06:18 PM
That is very true. A friend of mine has a hand painted sign in his yard. I have a steel one with vinyl lettering on it. He lives right down the road from me, and even he said my yard looks better than his. He has picked up 5 weekly mowing accoutts and a few landscape jobs this summer just from his sign. I haven't goten a call.

VTLC2006
09-06-2011, 03:00 AM
don't work for free.... you will find out what i mean.

GreenI.A.
09-06-2011, 05:40 PM
don't work for free.... you will find out what i mean.

evan worse than working for free, paying the customer to work for them ie losing money on the job