PDA

View Full Version : New FS90 Trimmer Stalling?

NWCanuck
09-01-2011, 12:26 AM
I might be doing something wrong here but I just got a new Stihl FS90 trimmer and I noticed that after running this trimmer for about 8 minutes it seemed to loose power and then stall. I was able to start it again and after about the same amount of time it lost power and stalled again. I called the dealer and he mentioned/asked if I was running the trimmer on it side with the carb down?

Well I was doing some edging with the trimmer at the time this happened. Is it possible that the trimmer will flood after extended time on its side with the carb facing the ground? Should I be turning it over and walking the other way with carb up? I hope this makes sense, bit of a noob to these trimmers.

By the way I am running Stihl Ultra 50:1 with Shell V Power if that makes a difference.

dutch1
09-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Carb should perform in all positions as long as the intank filter is submerged in fuel. It's possible that the fuel filter/line was in a position where it was not in fuel. Try the same edgine position with a full tank of fuel.

NWCanuck
09-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Carb should perform in all positions as long as the intank filter is submerged in fuel. It's possible that the fuel filter/line was in a position where it was not in fuel. Try the same edgine position with a full tank of fuel.

Simple things first! Thanks Dutch, now that you mention it, I did only fill the tank half way if that, just to test it out. I will give that a try and check the position of the pickup.

Cheers

topsites
09-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I am sorry but when it comes to brand new equipment I am sick of hearing the excuses from the dealers, they know
full and well it should still run even with barely three drops of fuel in the tank, especially when they're brand new so
if it keeps acting up just take it right back to the dealer and nicely, politely ...

Do stay polite, be calm, cool, and collected.
But show him the problem.

Granted that most likely it's an easy fix.
But when it's brand new it should run no questions asked.

2stroked
09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
If it's brand new go right back to the dealer and get it fixed!