PDA

View Full Version : I need a simple remote switch for 120v

Lite4
09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey guys,

I have an installation for a project that has a putting/ target green and a chipping area that are about 50 yards apart. I am doing lighting for the whole project. Currently there is a flood light in a tree above the target green and there is a flood light places under a garage soffit to illuminate the chipping area. I want to retain these lights so the homeowner has a higher level of light available for play after dark, however, I only want these on when they want to play so as to not overpower all the other lighting we are doing around the pool and other areas directly around the green and chipping area. Currently they are on a photocell and come on every night, all night. To run a switch leg to a conveniant location for these lights will be a pain in the patukas, so, I am looking for a simple, inexpensive option for remote switching for these fixtures. (something I could wire into the fixtures and remotely control from a covered pergola about 100' away). Does anyone have any leads on product? All I have been able to find is Pluggable modules or large and expensive home automation setups.

Thanks for the help.

S&MLL
09-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Use abt. Just run a 12volt wire to each fixtures jbox and use an icecube relay. Simple easy and reliable for under 200
Posted via Mobile Device

Lite4
09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks, these are 120volt fixtures and I am trying to avoid running any new wires to these fixtures, other wise I would just run a 120v switch leg and be done with it. I am intrigued with the ice cube relay though. I have not heard of that one, what is it.

Lite4
09-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Never mind, I am tracking you now.

bcg
09-01-2011, 07:09 PM
ControlScape, or any other UPB product, would do that easily. ControlScape does have a plug in "remote" that you can use from essentially any outlet so you could do it all for $200 or so in materials, just put a UPB relay in place of the photocell and use the plug in "remote" to turn them on and off from wherever you already have an outlet.

The Lighting Geek
09-01-2011, 08:32 PM
simply automated UPB would do that Tim. Call me if I can help.

Lite4
09-01-2011, 08:37 PM
A plug in is not going to work. I need a wire in unit to put in a small bell box.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lite4
09-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks Tommy, I don't think UPB will work on this one. The lights are wired into the panel in the garage and where I need to put the switch would be off the panel in the house. I have 3-200 amp panels in the house and 1-200 amp panel in the garage. Will upb carry back through the main service disconnect back through the disconnect and panels of the house? Seems unfeasable but I could be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

bcg
09-01-2011, 08:58 PM
A plug in is not going to work. I need a wire in unit to put in a small bell box.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you misunderstood. There is a relay (UPB) that goes in the box where the photocell is now.

The plugin is for a remote that you can move around. If you don't need to be able to turn it on from different locals then you can just get a slave switch. Basically, Tommy and I are talking about the exact same setup.

UPB is very powerful, it will easily carry through service disconnects. I have UPB setups on acreage properties where I have stuff setup on the same UPB network in multiple buildings with separate meters and it all works just fine off a single control unit.

Lite4
09-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Sweet, that is what I was uncertain about. If it will carry through disconnects then I am golden. I clearly don't have as much experience on the UPB as some of you guys do. Thanks for the tips.
Posted via Mobile Device

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Word to the wise (or is that wary?) I now perform a noise / signal test on all properties before I promise/sell/install UPB controls. The bigger the property and the more panels etc they have the more the chance of having signal debilatating noise issues.

All you need to do is plug in the USB interface module and use the upstart software to do a diagnostic.

Enjoy.

Steve Atkinson
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi Tim,

Simply Automated has a new virtual 3-way switch kit preconfigured that may suit your needs. Sounds like this will work for your setup, one switch handles load and is a receiver, one switch is a transmitter only, right?

As for multi-panels, a phase coupler (inert bridge) may be needed to carry the signal in more than one panel, and they have several styles: wire-in, breaker, etc.

If you are interested I can get you the kit code.

Steve

RLI Electric
09-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Leviton Decora Home Controls has a relay you can install in the junction box and you use a powerline carrying switch (UPB) that you can plug into the wall and turn it on or off. I don't have the part number but if I remember correctly the relay can be a dimming relay too so you can incorporate the flood bomb into the lighting scene if you so chose.

RLI Electric
09-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I apologize, it is a Simply Automated unit that I used before.