PDA

View Full Version : Here's my choices! What's your advice?

kybuck
11-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Here are my choices:

Dixon 18hp Kohler, 50"--$4350

Hustler Fastrak 18hp Honda, 52"--$4800

Dixie Chopper 17hp Kohler, 50"--$4995

Grasshopper Midmount 18hp Kohler, 48"--$5700

I would like your opinion on any of these mowers I can't seem to make up my mind:confused:

I'm mowing about 3 acres maybe more. Thanks

longviewlawncare
11-01-2002, 08:56 PM
which has the best dealer support. Have you demoed any of them. That is the only way to tell which one is best for you. I have not been on any of them but i would go with dixie just b/c of reputation.

Green Pastures
11-01-2002, 09:09 PM
I'd go with the one with the biggest deck that gives you the best looking cut.

Demo every single one of what you're considering. Price and deck size and HP means NOTHING if the cut sucks. <that's a period!

If the dealer wont let you try something you're fixin to spend $5K on, find another dealer.

Buddy Irwin
11-02-2002, 07:26 AM
KyBuck

I assume that you got back in touch with the Hustler Dealer after our phone conversation.
The Hustler FasTrak is unmatched in constuction. Along with Dealer support that I personally stand behind, you have to look at these facts. Hustler has a two year bumper to bumper warranty that includes PARTS and LABOR. The leading edge of the deck has a LIFETIME warranty. Unmatched performance on slope. The choice should be easy for the Hustler. Ride it yourself and SEE the difference.

Buddy Irwin:) :)

greenman
11-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Dealer support means a whole lot when choosing a mower. If you want us to pick one for you, we cant. Its your call, BUT I do think that just about everyone on this forum would be partial to either the Dixie or Hustler. I dont know how the bigger Honda engines hold up, but the small ones(like on the 21"ers) cant be beat.

Buddy Irwin
11-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Kybuck

The Hustler you priced was a 20hp with a 52" deck.

Buddy

kybuck
11-03-2002, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by greenman
[B]Dealer support means a whole lot when choosing a mower.

Thanks guys if I had to narrow it down to dealer support it would have to be between the Dixon, or the Dixie. I talked to the Hustler sales rep. for Ky. after I had posted how they had acted at my local dealer and he was a very nice fella and I went back out to my local dealer and gave the fastrack a good looking over and the salesperson was very nice. I did notice however on the fastrack that there are very few grease fittings and the pulleys was some kind of plastic. That kind of worried me. All of the other dealers I talked to about their mowers bragged about how many grease fittings was on the mowers for example Dixie told me that their deck alone had 13 (I think) fittings. Personally I like knowing that I can lube everything and know its good.

What do you think about all the grease fittings and what about those pulleys does it really matter?

kybuck
11-03-2002, 09:06 AM
Thanks Buddy your right it was a 20 hp :D

65hoss
11-03-2002, 09:35 AM
Dixie would be the best. I would say Hustler would be great also, but the bigger honda motors suck. I have several small honda motors that are truely awesome, but the larger ones don't compare. Get a kohler or kawi.

Swampbeast
11-04-2002, 12:54 AM
I would go with the Dixie Chopper, pretty darn awesome. You sure you cant get any of those with a Kawasaki engine?

:cool:

vipermanz
11-12-2002, 06:20 AM
you can't get a fastrak with anything but a honda engine.
You might want to consider looking at a Hustler Mini Z, i don't know the price differences but you have more engine options: 44" Side Discharge/Mulching Deck 19 hp Kawasaki a/c gas
52" Side Discharge/Mulching Deck
23 hp Kawasaki a/c gas
24 hp Honda a/c gas :)

Rhett
11-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Have not had any experience with any of the other mowers but dixon. Even though it is the cheapest I would highly recommend staying clear of dixon. Maybe they have improved but just my thoughts.

IBGreen
11-17-2002, 11:29 PM
Looking into dealer support would be first. But if all dealer support for each of them is the same(which it never is) then get the Hustler!

Catcher
12-20-2002, 11:55 PM
Have you tried a front-mounted Grasshopper?

grassdaddy
12-21-2002, 12:24 AM
i've never owned any of those brands,but i have tried every one of those out.i would definately go with the hustler.however i'd at least look at a lesco they do have kaws, they are the better engine.

Brickman
12-23-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Rhett
Have not had any experience with any of the other mowers but dixon. Even though it is the cheapest I would highly recommend staying clear of dixon. Maybe they have improved but just my thoughts.

MY $.02 is to stay away from Dixon. I would go with the Hustler myself, or the DC. And I really wonder if the Grasshopper is worth that much more $.