PDA

View Full Version : Cut quality (St.Augustine)

williams lcm
09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Can cut quality be all that different on all different models of zero turns? I have seen all brands form hustler, John deere,toro,ferris ect. They all seem to cut nice and leave a nice looking cut on St.Augustine. Your home owner probably cound not tell the difference. I have even seen some riding tractors cut pretty nice.How can cut quality improve anymore in the future? It seems like a mower is a mower when it comes to cut quality. The operator has to keep blades sharp and slow down when needed and any mower will leave a decent cut . I always have the latest and the greatest mowers but my neighbors have the riding tractors and their cut looks just as good.

CkLandscapingOrlando
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Cut speed, deck mulching and discharge, leading edge of the deck strength, spinde quality, ease of maint, ease of height adjustment. Hell an exmark cut quality will change everytime the change the deck style. Alot more factor than just the end look

williams lcm
09-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah I remember the days with my old yazoo/keys ztr. I had to physically change the pins on each side one by one to recieve the correct cut height. What a pain in the a**. I tried to keep the bahia on one day and St.Augustine on the next just so I did not keep switching deck heights.

CkLandscapingOrlando
09-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I remember the days of the spacers under the forks. HAHAHAHAHA

Landscape Poet
09-01-2011, 10:38 PM
The operator has to keep blades sharp and slow down when needed and any mower will leave a decent cut .

Blades being sharp are the biggest factor in my opinion of actually cutting the lawn with the most speed. Deck quality affects suction which does still play a factor IMHO even on our stiff SA lawns.
Anymore most of the mowers offer the same brand engines. I think the key to speed is a big enough engine in relation to deck size with sharp blades and you can go like hell without to much worry.

unkownfl
09-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Blades being sharp are the biggest factor in my opinion of actually cutting the lawn with the most speed. Deck quality affects suction which does still play a factor IMHO even on our stiff SA lawns.
Anymore most of the mowers offer the same brand engines. I think the key to speed is a big enough engine in relation to deck size with sharp blades and you can go like hell without to much worry.

Only if half of these lawns were bigger so we could actually use the full potential of these machines and not throw clippings two houses down or across the street. I guess you can run a mulch kit but them you dump a turd on the sidewalk every time you cross it.

Landscape Poet
09-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I guess you can run a mulch kit but them you dump a turd on the sidewalk every time you cross it.

This made me laugh very hard:)

Ric
09-02-2011, 10:09 AM

Mikey

Those big engines are great in hay fields. Lots of power to keep the speed up.

CLIP RATE is the ratio between ground speed and Blade speed. The higher the Clip Rate the cleaner the cut. The smaller the deck the better it hugs the ground. Therefore nothing will beat the cut of a sharp 21 push mower.

IMHO St Augustine is the most forgiving of a bad mower deck.

South Florida Lawns
09-06-2011, 01:06 AM
You know how to take a lawn to the next level? double cut it. I swear its like night and day difference. I only do this on a few resi accounts that pay a premium. Oh and I run turbo force decks so its not like there lacking in the cut quality department.

Florida Gardener
09-06-2011, 07:15 AM
You know how to take a lawn to the next level? double cut it. I swear its like night and day difference. I only do this on a few resi accounts that pay a premium. Oh and I run turbo force decks so its not like there lacking in the cut quality department.

Agree. I can justify double cutting knowing that in the winter I fly through the yard and depending on how cold the winter is I may cut every 3 weeks. My accounts don't have that much turf to make double cutting too much added time
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
09-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Agree. I can justify double cutting knowing that in the winter I fly through the yard and depending on how cold the winter is I may cut every 3 weeks. My accounts don't have that much turf to make double cutting too much added time
Posted via Mobile Device

Yo

My area the average Lots are 80 X 120. By the time you put a house with a swimming pool and circular driveway there isn't 4 K maybe less turf area. I always used Walker Mowers with the 42" deck and never understand the guys with the 60" Dixie Chopper on the same size lot. I would also double cut front yards on a diagonal. But on those yards it takes more time to Detail them with edgers and weed eaters than to mow them.

Florida Gardener
09-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Yo

My area the average Lots are 80 X 120. By the time you put a house with a swimming pool and circular driveway there isn't 4 K maybe less turf area. I always used Walker Mowers with the 42" deck and never understand the guys with the 60" Dixie Chopper on the same size lot. I would also double cut front yards on a diagonal. But on those yards it takes more time to Detail them with edgers and weed eaters than to mow them.

Yo guys around here are doing that all day long. My buddy has some higher end homes that have about 250-500sq ft of turf. He tells me he uses a 21 cause anything bigger is too much. One of the companies who has a good foothold in that hood runs 60" dixies on the turf. Most companies are a joke. I don't care if they have 4 trucks either. To your point on a 42", I agree that that is the best size to use on small lawns. That is why I'm selling my heavy 48" rider for a new 42" wright stander.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Yo guys around here are doing that all day long. My buddy has some higher end homes that have about 250-500sq ft of turf. He tells me he uses a 21 cause anything bigger is too much. One of the companies who has a good foothold in that hood runs 60" dixies on the turf. Most companies are a joke. I don't care if they have 4 trucks either. To your point on a 42", I agree that that is the best size to use on small lawns. That is why I'm selling my heavy 48" rider for a new 42" wright stander.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yo i'm in the same boat. My 42" Ariens Zoom fits through all my gates perfectly. I'm actually looking to upgrade my mower (not in size but in quality)... I'm thinking of getting a 40" toro grandstand as my main mower. I've thought about the wright stander rh 42" but the tires are way too narrow on that and I don't want to rut up lawns

Florida Gardener
09-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Yo i'm in the same boat. My 42" Ariens Zoom fits through all my gates perfectly. I'm actually looking to upgrade my mower (not in size but in quality)... I'm thinking of getting a 40" toro grandstand as my main mower. I've thought about the wright stander rh 42" but the tires are way too narrow on that and I don't want to rut up lawns
Yo yo yo, the tires on the 42 are slightly bigger than the 36 which has very small tires. I have some yards I have to cut the same direction every week with my 36 and it doesn't rut.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
I think that the Wright Stander has 8" wide tires for the 36 and 42" models. The Toro Grandstand has 9.5" tires for the 40" model. Check it out...

http://wrightmfg.com/uploads/files/WRIGHT-STANDER-RH_SPECS.pdf

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/stand_on/micro/specs.html

j-ville native
09-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I would think that the 720 pound Stander (more like 900LBS with the average sized man standing on it) would rut with only 8" wide tires, but I'm not positive since I've never used it

Florida Gardener
09-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Your right, the RH has 8, the FD 42" has 8.5 like my 36" FD. Like I said, I have yards I have to cut the same direction each week and there is no rutting with the 36". I wouldn't be using the 42" on the yards I have to cut with the 36", just the yards I currently cut with my 48".

j-ville native
09-08-2011, 12:47 AM
oh my bad. i only looked at the rh's specs. i could see how the 42 stander, not the rh, wouldn't have a problem with rutting weighing less than the rh with a little bit wider tires. But how do you change deck heights? isn't that a pita?

Florida Gardener
09-08-2011, 12:50 AM
oh my bad. i only looked at the rh's specs. i could see how the 42 stander, not the rh, wouldn't have a problem with rutting weighing less than the rh with a little bit wider tires. But how do you change deck heights? isn't that a pita?

My 36" only cuts St. Aug. and I leave it at the same height for all those lawns. I currently cut 2 bahia lawns and a weedy st. aug lawn with my floating deck toro. That is why I want the RH 42". I can't imagine that .5" would make a huge difference. Compared to my huge Toro, and add in the fact that I will be standing vs. sitting, I don't see the 42" being a big issue with rutting.

j-ville native
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
let me know how it works out for you because I'm going to buy a 40-42" stander for next year. .5" might not make a difference when comparing wright models but when you compare the wright to the 40" grandstand it is 1.5" which is a huge difference

Florida Gardener
09-08-2011, 08:32 AM
let me know how it works out for you because I'm going to buy a 40-42" stander for next year. .5" might not make a difference when comparing wright models but when you compare the wright to the 40" grandstand it is 1.5" which is a huge difference

True, b/t the toro and wright it is a huge difference. I just love wright though. Built like a tank. I have had my 36" for 3 years in November and kick on wood have had not one issue with it. Cut quality is really good too. Plus they have the seasonal buying program. Do you cut a wide array of grasses at different heights??
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-08-2011, 09:00 PM
True, b/t the toro and wright it is a huge difference. I just love wright though. Built like a tank. I have had my 36" for 3 years in November and kick on wood have had not one issue with it. Cut quality is really good too. Plus they have the seasonal buying program. Do you cut a wide array of grasses at different heights??
Posted via Mobile Device

I cut at 2 different heights. My thick, healthy, St. Augustine lawns are cut higher than the lawns with thin and weedy grass.

Florida Gardener
09-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I cut at 2 different heights. My thick, healthy, St. Augustine lawns are cut higher than the lawns with thin and weedy grass.

Yea, a FD would prob not be the best choice then.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-08-2011, 09:52 PM
lol i know. i would have to change the height on every other lawn or schedule all of my alike lawns on the same day which would never work

Florida Gardener
09-08-2011, 09:56 PM
lol i know. i would have to change the height on every other lawn or schedule all of my alike lawns on the same day which would never work

What's your average size lot?
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-08-2011, 10:24 PM
i'm not good at estimating lot size but my lawns aren't very big except for a few of them. Most of my lawns have small front yards with larger back yards. Many have fences and my 42" fits right through the gates. If I had a 44" I wouldn't be able to fit through half of the gates. that's why I'm looking for a good 40" to 42" mower. And it has to be a stander because my back gets sore from the ztr and i don't want to have back problems when i'm older

unkownfl
09-08-2011, 11:53 PM
I ran my fixed deck by only adjusting the caster wheels on the front for the weedy/bahia lawns it cut just fine. You don't actually need to pull the entire caster fork out to adjust heights like most walk behinds.