PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Evergreens

Lanelle
11-01-2002, 07:20 PM
I realize that most evergreens eventually lose (shed) some of their foliage. Just wondering which ones do it in the fall. I have noticed that the white pines started a few days ago here. But what about junipers, arbs, spruces and others?

CMerLand
11-01-2002, 07:46 PM
Lanelle,

Our arbs here are all browning out on the inside doing their drop thing here. Off the top of my head cant think of others but will keep a look out there.

CMerrick

kris
11-02-2002, 09:14 AM
How about this one Lanelle,

larch: It grows to 50 feet or taller, with soft tufts of short, narrow needles and round, woody cones. The new leaves are pale green in spring and color bright yellow or orange in fall. They have an interesting winter silhouette and grow best in cold climates and moist soils. They attract birds.
It's the only coniferous that I know of that looses all it's needles??

hosejockey2002
11-02-2002, 10:44 AM
The tamarack turns gold and loses its needles in the fall. It grows in the Cascade mountains above about 4000 feet. Come to think of it, maybe it's the same tree as the larch.:confused:

kris
11-02-2002, 12:45 PM
hosejockey,
- the western larch can grow up to 150 feet in the wild...30-50 in cultivation and is also known as a tamarack.
Good timing on this subject ... I planted around 20 of them yesterday.

Evan528
11-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Kris, a dawn redwood also looses all its leaves in the winter. ;)
These have a redish color bark and have needles that look identical to those on a yew.

kris
11-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Could be Evan ...that's why I put the ??? after my statement.
I am not familiar with a dawn redwood ... is it native there?

Lanelle
11-02-2002, 05:06 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for timing on evergreens that don't drop all of their needles/foliage at once. Dawn Redwood is Metasequoia. Very pretty needles with an unusual fall color -- pale salmon. Can we go back to the topic now?:)

Evan528
11-02-2002, 05:11 PM
Spruces ussually start shedding come needles about this time of year. Seems like always right after my accounts get there fresh fall layer of mulch:rolleyes:
The seem to be a little late in doing so this year though.

wmsland
11-02-2002, 08:54 PM
Around here white pines and arbs started to drop a couple of weeks ago. The arbs seem to be losing a little more than usual this year probably drought related. Was looking around today and not any real noticable change in any other evergreens.

mdb landscaping
11-03-2002, 08:08 PM
like said above. the larches lose all their needles in the fall. almost make the trees look dead, but they look nice again in the spring.

AGLA
11-04-2002, 06:07 AM
We still have pines holding yellow needles inside.

The arbs are probably not dropping more, but it may be beacuse the shorter growth from this years drought makes it comparitively more of leaf drop. ...less green left.

I think that the subject at hand is about evergreens that drop their 2nd or 3rd year growth, not which conifer loses its needles?

I don't know of any that drop leaves at a different time of year. It makes sense to drop in fall because they will use energy while not supplying any. Natural selection would favor a tree that drops them as soon as they no longer produce.

Lanelle
11-04-2002, 10:01 AM
Yes AGLA that is exactly the topic. If that logic holds, why do hollies lose their old leaves in the spring? I noticed today that the some spruces are starting to yellow/brown on the interior. Maybe they are next on the schedule? (This thread was prompted by a client thinking that their arb hedge was dying.)

Henry
11-05-2002, 09:14 PM
I had 2 clients ask about their arbs last week. Both new homeowners that never dealt with stuff before. It was a perfect opportunity to sell some shrub care. For some reason people don't want to spend the money to treat trees and shrubs until they look sick. :eek: