PDA

View Full Version : some ideas?

jay albers
09-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I have a scag freedom z, I bought it with the catcher already with it.

Its not that great to say the lest, If the grass is dry and i go slow its not to bad, but im ready for somthing a little better and faster.

I hate to get rid of the whole catcher system tho. peco has a vac system for $1000 for this unit which isnt to bad, but i was hoping to utilize the one i have.

does anyone know where i can get a blower/vac to put in the middle of the catcher i have now. i was thinking i could fabricate something.

i don't know, just thinking outside the box. any ideas?

jay albers
04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
still looking for ideas. can i buy just a motor with the impeller system with an 8' intake and out put?
Where can I get one?

jay albers
04-20-2012, 07:14 AM
bump.........

Lawn Pawn
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Had a Freedom for a while and thought it was great little machine !!

Short version of my opinion only. The Freedom is too small to handle any more weight and remain dependable and effective.

I would put some hi-lifts on and see how it works, but it just ain't gonna be the same as a power unit. May want to consider a Cyclone Rake.

Personally.... I think most of the power baggers on Z-turns are like putting a saddle on a sow! If they were designed for them, you would not need to hang all the scrap iron on the front of the mower.

But hey... that's just me.

jay albers
04-20-2012, 03:01 PM
yeah, I love that little mower. That things made me some good money.

You bring up some good points. not sure if I can fit the cyclone on my trailer with the mower, I have a 12 footer.

Maybe I should just look into a billy goat or somthing. Wont help with the grass clippings but will with the leaves

ed2hess
04-20-2012, 07:28 PM
The cut will end up getting messed up with the added weight or the machine will be torn up. Get rid of all that bagging mess and put a mulch plate on and be done with it forever.

Lawn Pawn
04-20-2012, 08:19 PM
The cut will end up getting messed up with the added weight or the machine will be torn up. Get rid of all that bagging mess and put a mulch plate on and be done with it forever.

Not to open that can of worms about mulching verse bagging...

But my 52 inch Freedom did a very nice job of mulching in the Fall with mulching blades and my home made 1/4 inch flip plate over the discharge.

I now have a 52" Tiger Cub with a home made plate and use doubles in the Fall. One mulcher and on std. lift. Dry leaves turn to powder. But everyones expectations are different!

jay albers
04-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Will the mulching blades and plate work with wet grass? I don't want clumps of grass left behind.

Lawn Pawn
04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Will the mulching blades and plate work with wet grass? I don't want clumps of grass left behind.

My experience.... No !

Grassman67
04-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I also have the same setup. On mine, I run dual blades on each spindle, High Lift. Improves performance considerably, but I don't do wet grass, so can't say about that.

jay albers
04-22-2012, 08:07 AM
when you guys say dual blades, do you mean your putting two sets of blades on each spindle?
I also don't know what high lifts are?
Thanks, Jay

Lawn Pawn
04-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Simply put a high lift blade has more upward angle on the top/trailing edge of the blade. The blades are usually a little wider, say 2.5 to 3 inches to give you the extra metal to allow this.

So they are also a bit heavier... cause more wind drag, that equals more horsepower to run.

You would be best doing a search for ...dual blades... as there are other considerations for NOT running them. You can tear up your mower if you are not aware of some of these concerns.

Having said that.... I use them in the Fall, they help me out, but do your homework regarding the precautions.

jay albers
04-22-2012, 04:12 PM
ok,i understand. Thanks