PDA

View Full Version : up selling current customers( to much?)

jay albers
09-01-2011, 10:30 PM
All my customers are just lawn cuts right now, I would love for them to go to a cut and maintenance programs. Im not sure alot of them will go for that.

When i cut there lawns i am constantly seeing things that need to be done. Hedges trimmed, trees trimmed, touch up mulch, bed edging,etc,etc.

When is enough, enough? I hate to leave money on the table, but at the same time i don't want them to think i'm nickle and diming them. I also dont want to put them in a position where they dont want to get somthing done, but don't want to look cheap either.

If somthing is looking really bad i say somthing, but if its so,so i usually won't say anything.

What do you guys do? Are you always selling your current customers?

SNAPPER MAN
09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I up-sell all my current customers. Usually I will just point out that something needs to be done and that I can do it for X amount of money if they want me to. The worse they can say is no.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-01-2011, 11:22 PM
i try to avoid that extra stuff. mowing is easy but hedges and mulch will wear you out

jay albers
09-02-2011, 07:30 AM
j-ville,

are you serious?

i'm not even gonna get into it

David Haggerty
09-02-2011, 07:32 AM
That's always been a problem for me too. I even have a couple of customers where I can choose what's needed. It don't make the decision any easier.

I try to think it thru like this;
1. Will it benefit the lawn? Like killing off all the weeds so the grass has a chance.
2. Is it time sensitive? If I don't get those shrubs trimmed soon I'll be hauling off clippings by the truckload!
3. What are the customer's expectations? I have one customer who said they just wanted a "yard" not a "lawn". They've never had a broadleaf weed app, I "trim" their fenceline with herbicide. They're happy, I'm happy.

You need to think too that some services don't really seem like such a good value to the customer and might need to be sold a little more. Like core aeration & fall fertilizer. You really don see the results until next year and the customer may have forgotten how bad the lawn was. It's not like mulch where you see the results the same day.

It's always a tug-of-war between the services the customer expects you to include, and what they're actually willing to pay for. When I quote a lawn they always ask (afterward) "Is that trimmed?"

You got to think too "Who will get the blame?" If something looks bad on a property, nobody's going to think Wow! thos folks are too cheap to pay to have their fenceline trimmed! NO! they're going to think Man! what a crappy job that lawnmower guy did!
When it gets to that point I just do it AND BILL THEM accordingly. Then grit my teeth when the check come in to see if they paid it. So far so good.
I have one customer who wants to save money by not putting down mulch in the shrub beds. The weeds were getting taller than the shrubs! I CAREFULLY killed them with Roundup. The bill was a lot cheaper than mulch and the property don't look like it's abandoned.

I once had a customer who always answered NO! to any extras for the property. No weed & feed, someone else always got the mulch job and so forth. Then one year they informed me they were going with a "better" landscape company!
Sometimes you just kind of carefully and tactfully take that decision about extra services away from the customer.
I have a blurb printed on every bill "Additional labor charges $60 per hour." Sometimes they get billed, most times not. But I'm not working for nothing.

PROCUT1
09-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Leave them an estimate with the services you see they need. Nothing wrong with that. I definitely don't recommend just doing it and billing them. I know if my lawn guy did that. He would have done a lot of extra work for free.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-02-2011, 08:48 AM
All my customers are just lawn cuts right now, I would love for them to go to a cut and maintenance programs. Im not sure alot of them will go for that.

When i cut there lawns i am constantly seeing things that need to be done. Hedges trimmed, trees trimmed, touch up mulch, bed edging,etc,etc.

When is enough, enough? I hate to leave money on the table, but at the same time i don't want them to think i'm nickle and diming them. I also dont want to put them in a position where they dont want to get somthing done, but don't want to look cheap either.

If somthing is looking really bad i say somthing, but if its so,so i usually won't say anything.

What do you guys do? Are you always selling your current customers?

Why do you ask "what do you guys do" and not expect to get a variety of answers. I try to stay in the mow, trim, edge, & blow range and not get into hedge trimming, weeding, laying mulch, etc because that's back breaking stuff. It will definitely put a toll on the body. If a customer ask me to trim hedges I'll do it but I'll never volunteer it. If I have any time and want more work I'll try and get more business mowing lawns before I try to get my customers to let me trim their hedges. yeah that's what i do

jay albers
09-02-2011, 12:25 PM
my bad j-ville

I can respect that

txgrassguy
09-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Essentially ALL of my accounts are full service covering mowing, landscape trimming, irrigation work and chemical applications. Wouldn't do it any other way.
The way to "sell" this idea is to point out the client is able to budget one figure per month with a one-year contract.
And since I already do the chemical applications for insects, disease or weeds it is very very easy for me to spray the landscape with a growth regulator meaning I don't trim every month, more like once per four months.
But I still get paid for full service. The client is happy since their landscape doesn't grow out of control/appears uniform and green, the crew is happy since they aren't getting whacked by a bunch of trimming work, and I'm happy since I get paid.
The question is: Why wouldn't you try to obtain full service accounts?

j-ville native
09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
It's cool jay. Are you solo or do you have a crew? If you have a crew those additional services would be a lot easier to provide than if you were a solo operator like myself. I don't even have anyone to hold the ladder while I'm trimming high stuff! LOL not good. I have to spread 150 bags of mulch for a customer on Sunday morning and I have to do each of those bags by myself. Even with a wheel barrow that is no fun. That's why I don't try to up sell my customers and I only do additional services when they ask me to. I'd much rather be sitting down on my ztr with trimming and edging being the only strenuous activities.

jay albers
09-02-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm alone alot but when i have extra work i have some guys that i go to.

Theres nothing like sitting on your ztr cutting grass and watching the guy you hired to do the harder stuff, and making money from it.

My goal is to have 2 full time guys. If I dont upsell and husle business i'll never get there.

beachtownlawnservice
09-02-2011, 10:15 PM
If its a good customer, pays on time, been with you for awhile. Why upsell? If they have weeds? treat um. if the hedges are shabby? trim um. pest? kill um. light tree trimming? cut um. if the lawn is hungry? feed it. go above and beyond. good customer service will always pay in the end. a happy customer will tell friends and family, neighbors will notice the quality of work, referrals will start pouring in, and just start bidding it for the type of service you provide.

XLS
09-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Considering most of the guys out there (Not ALL BUT MOST ) are working on 1/2 acre lawns or less I dont understand why you cant just do it and never even offer a mow and go ... It is as simple as when they ask the cost to mow the lawn instead of saying 40 say 45-50. then inform them if you see things needing done you will take care of it and they may see a few dollars added to the bill.
We trimmed bushes untill this year every 2 visits with string trimmers then on the 4th time use the shears. It is not as clean as shears but its faster and it keeps them looking more consistant then monthly shearing. All the HO wants is 1 price and no reason to complain. we tried 2 man mow and go this year and have now went back to 3-5 man crews saves gas too . We can take a mow and go and add 2 guys on landscape /other and it wont add .2 hours per job per week to keep it perfect. in 12 years we have averaged over 80% customer retention and this year our questionare was showing sub par quality and in 3 weeks that has changed.

PROCUT1
09-02-2011, 11:46 PM
If its a good customer, pays on time, been with you for awhile. Why upsell? If they have weeds? treat um. if the hedges are shabby? trim um. pest? kill um. light tree trimming? cut um. if the lawn is hungry? feed it. go above and beyond. good customer service will always pay in the end. a happy customer will tell friends and family, neighbors will notice the quality of work, referrals will start pouring in, and just start bidding it for the type of service you provide.

So for the price of the lawn mow....They get weed control, pest control, hedge trimming, and tree trimming?

JDiepstra
09-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I upsell everything i can and i make a lot of extra money on it.

David Haggerty
09-03-2011, 07:28 AM
So for the price of the lawn mow....They get weed control, pest control, hedge trimming, and tree trimming?

He just forgot to add "bill 'em"

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Why do you ask "what do you guys do" and not expect to get a variety of answers. I try to stay in the mow, trim, edge, & blow range and not get into hedge trimming, weeding, laying mulch, etc because that's back breaking stuff. It will definitely put a toll on the body. If a customer ask me to trim hedges I'll do it but I'll never volunteer it. If I have any time and want more work I'll try and get more business mowing lawns before I try to get my customers to let me trim their hedges. yeah that's what i do

I can't tell you how many times one of my clients neighbors have come over to me and asked me to trim a hedge or a tree because their lawn guy doesn't do it. I always say no. I only trim hedges and trees for lawn clients. I try to get them to switch but they never do.

They have a guy who mows cheap and doesn't want the labor intensive work of landscape maintenance and they keep him.

I'm in the same boat J-ville native is. Only if they want it done. I don't have a young grunt to push around like a lot of you guys do.

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 10:15 AM

I know some one said this already but - all that for free?

You must be one of those guys who thinks he's billing $120 and hour to do the lawn and can afford to give everything else away. I don't know wether to love you for your generosity or hate you for making everyone else who is smart enough to bill for services look bad.

Its a cunundrum:laugh:

beachtownlawnservice
09-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Its not free services. it providing a quilaty service. i bid all my yards (now) this way. im not a lawn slut that does $25 mowjobs . i provide a higher level of service and charge accordingly.

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Its not free services. it providing a quilaty service. i bid all my yards (now) this way. im not a lawn slut that does $25 mowjobs . i provide a higher level of service and charge accordingly.

So you bid all your lawns to include all those services. Thats completely different than giving it away.

You up sell right from the start.

Up sell. Catchy term I never used until today. At one time I think it was called extras

Patriot Services
09-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I can't tell you how many times one of my clients neighbors have come over to me and asked me to trim a hedge or a tree because their lawn guy doesn't do it. I always say no. I only trim hedges and trees for lawn clients. I try to get them to switch but they never do.

They have a guy who mows cheap and doesn't want the labor intensive work of landscape maintenance and they keep him.

I'm in the same boat J-ville native is. Only if they want it done. I don't have a young grunt to push around like a lot of you guys do.

I don't say no, but I do make them pay for potentially inconveniencing one of my loyal full time customers.:usflag:

As for doing anything free, I have a violent allergic reaction. :usflag:

beachtownlawnservice
09-03-2011, 08:54 PM
i wouldn't call it up selling from the start. i would say its charging a fair price to take care of a customers yard as i would my own. now i don't land every bid. (I'm expensive). but the ones i do get cancel out all the mow and blow cheepies. its funny to me how someone can agree to take care of a property (mow/blow) and watch the flower bes get over run with weeds. Or better yet the watch the grass itself suffer, (weeds,pest's,fungus,etc..) and say " i just cut the Grass' if you want me to address these issues its gonna cost you extra. Or even Moore embarrassing having the homeowner call another company to address the issues that you wont. I wish some of these guys would stop the $20 mow&blows , start taking pride in there profession. and start being a LAWN CARE PROVIDERS instead of GRASS CUTTERS. for every 3 cheep customers who only want to pay $20 to cut there grass each week there's 1 that will pay $60 for quality service.

GravelyWoman
09-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I upsell everything i can and i make a lot of extra money on it.

I am with you! I have about 5 customers that pays me to just walk on their property and take care of their schrubs monthly because their "lawn guy" doesn't like to touch schrubs! Usually, my first time at the property, my charges have ranged from $400.00 to $3500.00 :cool2: and this included installing bales of pinestraw! And then my monthly fee is a minimum of $75.00 and goes up. I spend about an hour at property.

Thanks!
Gravely Woman

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 09:30 PM
i wouldn't call it up selling from the start. i would say its charging a fair price to take care of a customers yard as i would my own. now i don't land every bid. (I'm expensive). but the ones i do get cancel out all the mow and blow cheepies. its funny to me how someone can agree to take care of a property (mow/blow) and watch the flower bes get over run with weeds. Or better yet the watch the grass itself suffer, (weeds,pest's,fungus,etc..) and say " i just cut the Grass' if you want me to address these issues its gonna cost you extra. Or even Moore embarrassing having the homeowner call another company to address the issues that you wont. I wish some of these guys would stop the $20 mow&blows , start taking pride in there profession. and start being a LAWN CARE PROVIDERS instead of GRASS CUTTERS. for every 3 cheep customers who only want to pay $20 to cut there grass each week there's 1 that will pay $60 for quality service.

I guess everyone has to fill a niche. You complain about guys like me who do year round lawn service and only do weed's, trees and shrubs for the people who rally want it and I Gripe about the guys who only mow for the summer.

Frankly, If I didn't mind the labor of hedge trimming and such I would be right there with you. I think what your doing is great. Don't want you to think other wise.

But the week I have to trim Carl's 100' of hedges is a week I don't look forward to. You love your work. Its just work to me and I don't like work. I know I'm the one thats in the wrong though.

j-ville native
09-03-2011, 10:41 PM

You need to stop with the "$20 mow & blows." You sound real cocky calling lawn services that mainly do just mowing (like mine) "mow and blow cheepies." Cheap has an "a" in it by the way. I take pride in cutting grass. Don't exaggerate at $20 when you know the average is way above that and the minimum rate is above that as well. And its not just mow and blow... It's also edging and very thorough string trimming. If I had to offer all those services that you include I wouldn't be able to handle half of my customers. I could spend all day pulling weeds at one house and there would still be weeds. It's just not practical at all for small companies and solo operators to do all that extra stuff especially when it is much more strenuous and time consuming than cutting grass. Most homeowners don't have enough money to pay someone to do all that work anyway. They can barely afford basic lawn care. It's expensive: usually over $1,000 a year just to pay someone to cut the grass

beachtownlawnservice
09-03-2011, 11:46 PM
no disrespect j-ville. the guy was asking about up selling different services. and i was trying to explain how i would bid a price to take care of everything all the time instead of adding things here and there. believe me i did my share of mow & go's on the cheep with an "a" when i started. i just didn't have it in me to leave things unfinished (weed's etc..) I no matter what try to leave a yard looking absolutely perfect to the best of my ability's. if it means putting extra man hours on it (even when i am solo) i do it. yea i lost my ass on some jobs. but i lived & learned my lessons and got better on bidding and selecting my customers. I'm not trying to sound cocky but if a homeowner thinks that $1000 a year is to high for lawn maintenance. that's not the clients i would want to cater to.

XLS
09-04-2011, 12:04 AM
I agree with beachtown and will add if 1000 a year is your average this is where you need to stay at your regular job.
I bill $1500.00 a year on our 5 k lawns and have No trouble at getting the lawns across the state so dont blame it on your area. If I am not mistaken I will bill over 1000 just for the mowing of that 5 k lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-04-2011, 12:15 AM
"lawn sluts, mowjobs, $20 mow and blows, and cheepies" sounds pretty disrespectful to me

$1000-$1500/year/customer is my average for mowing services. i am not sure what you are trying to say about this xls. please elaborate

David Haggerty
09-04-2011, 07:18 AM
its funny to me how someone can agree to take care of a property (mow/blow) and watch the flower bes get over run with weeds. Or better yet the watch the grass itself suffer, (weeds,pest's,fungus,etc..)

That really hits home with me! That exactly describes a property I mow. But its not me dragging my feet, it's the customer!
The trouble is I began as a mow-and-go. It's been really, really hard to shake that image and to upgrade the customer's attitude towards lawn maintenance. I do slip in a few "must-haves" like disposing of a downed limb or something. I even weed & feed by the front door (without authorization) and get by with it.
Trouble is that if the annual bill goes up even a little they start taking bids again. I can compete with anyone on price and quality, but when it comes to lying about what I'm going to do I'm at a real disadvantage. I really hate bidding wars.
I got them by being cheap, now I'm paying for it.
This is my biggest customer, If I loose them I'm out of business.

themadcutter
09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
That really hits home with me! That exactly describes a property I mow. But its not me dragging my feet, it's the customer!
The trouble is I began as a mow-and-go. It's been really, really hard to shake that image and to upgrade the customer's attitude towards lawn maintenance. I do slip in a few "must-haves" like disposing of a downed limb or something. I even weed & feed by the front door (without authorization) and get by with it.
Trouble is that if the annual bill goes up even a little they start taking bids again. I can compete with anyone on price and quality, but when it comes to lying about what I'm going to do I'm at a real disadvantage. I really hate bidding wars.
I got them by being cheap, now I'm paying for it.
This is my biggest customer, If I loose them I'm out of business.

Some people live in a paradise land where they can bid what ever they want without worrying about cheaper competition. I think some of these guys have very good companies with extra trucks and workers and maybe don't do much of the work them selves. So when the customer is being kissed in the nether regions its actually an employee thats really doing the kissing.

themadcutter
09-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Some people live in a paradise land where they can bid what ever they want without worrying about cheaper competition. I think some of these guys have very good companies with extra trucks and workers and maybe don't do much of the work them selves. So when the customer is being kissed in the nether regions its actually an employee thats really doing the kissing.

I just re read this post and it did not come out any thing like I was intending. I have no idea if or who I may have offended by this but I am sorry if I did.

The point I was trying to make while using my brand of bad humor that no one probably gets any way

Is that if you have a company large enough with employee's and a customer needs something extra done or wants something thrown in then its a lot easier for a business owner to tell an employee to get it done and please the customer than it is for a sole owner operator to do the same thing.

its really 2 completely different entities.

Patriot Services
09-04-2011, 10:13 AM
I just re read this post and it did not come out any thing like I was intending. I have no idea if or who I may have offended by this but I am sorry if I did.

The point I was trying to make while using my brand of bad humor that no one probably gets any way

Is that if you have a company large enough with employee's and a customer needs something extra done or wants something thrown in then its a lot easier for a business owner to tell an employee to get it done and please the customer than it is for a sole owner operator to do the same thing.

its really 2 completely different entities.

You're right. Back in my solo days it was the nickel-diming nitpickers that would destroy my schedule. Now with a crew it's easier, but its still not free. Sometimes i have to politely remind a customer that THEY insisted on mowing only service. I'm very frank with people at beginning about what is and is not included. I am not a fan of mowing only customers but i will take them until I can replace them or to keep a route full. It's all about balance and diversity. If you think you can succeed in this industry by dealing in absolutes, good luck.:usflag:

themadcutter
09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
You're right. Back in my solo days it was the nickel-diming nitpickers that would destroy my schedule. Now with a crew it's easier, but its still not free. Sometimes i have to politely remind a customer that THEY insisted on mowing only service. I'm very frank with people at beginning about what is and is not included. I am not a fan of mowing only customers but i will take them until I can replace them or to keep a route full. It's all about balance and diversity. If you think you can succeed in this industry by dealing in absolutes, good luck.:usflag:

'Sometimes i have to politely remind a customer that THEY insisted on mowing only service"

Boy ain't that the truth. I prefer mowing only but I have had plenty of people tell me out right that all they wanted is for me to take care of the lawn because they liked doing everything else. Then years later when they stopped doing everything else I would hear

"Well, so and so has a guy and he does all this for them. Why don't you?" Duh. because you never paid me to.

People have short memories. Some times conveniently short.

XLS
09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
j-vile I dont mean anything more then my crews work cheap enough and if your cheaper its because your working for the wrong type of client or you possibly dont know any better but our mow and blow price is over yours ,by your reaction toward me. I know you can say your overhead is lower then mine .... but its certianly Not .you can say your locals are driving your price down.....again these cheap folk are everywhere. I assure you it is just excuses we all use to justify why they got the job or why they make money and others cant
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-04-2011, 09:05 PM
xls,

Don't disrespect me by saying that I don't know any better or I am attracting the wrong type of client. It doesn't make any sense for you to say that. It also doesn't make sense for you to say that my overhead is certainly not lower than your's. You know nothing about my work and clients so how would you know? My prices are not cheap compared to my competition. These suburban Florida lawns that I mow are probably a lot smaller than your's. Ever think of that? Florida lawns are tiny. You may make more per yard but maybe your yards are larger. My yards are probably smaller and I make less per yard but my lawns don't take very long and that's why I have a ton of lawns.

themadcutter
09-05-2011, 01:27 AM
j-vile I dont mean anything more then my crews work cheap enough and if your cheaper its because your working for the wrong type of client or you possibly dont know any better but our mow and blow price is over yours ,by your reaction toward me. I know you can say your overhead is lower then mine .... but its certianly Not .you can say your locals are driving your price down.....again these cheap folk are everywhere. I assure you it is just excuses we all use to justify why they got the job or why they make money and others cant
Posted via Mobile Device

You are way way off. In my area we have had guys coming into the business and leaving the business because they were not making any money. They are not making any money because they are bidding way under what people like J-vill and I are bidding. They are all mow and blow and summer only mowers. They used to be the guys who were just mowing on the weekend to earn a little extra money but now they are
real estate agents who don't sell any houses
Construction workers who don't build anything
Home inspectors that don't inspect anything
engineers from the cape who seem to be the most clueless. (Probably the fewest in number)
Office workers who don't have an office any more.

And so on. Yea. I know its tough all over and I don't remember where you are from but we had very very heavy growth for years and when the bottom fell out it left way more people laying around. Its a product of the size of our population. 1% of florida is a way bigger number than say 1% of south carolina. Its actually about 5 time more.

And To answer a question you asked from another post.

I know these guys are cheaper because I have friends that tell me so. Neighbors right down the street that tell me so. Long term clients that I have managed to keep that have told me so and other long term clients that have left and said it was because some one they knew was cheaper.

And how could you possibly know what J-vill's mow and blow price is for a comparable lawn. He never gave you a size. You remind me of a new be lawn guy I talked too a short time ago. When I told him my biggest residential client was paying me $350 per month he told me "NO WAY! Who would pay that to get a lawn cut?" For some reason this guy thought all lawns were the same size. I told him "SIZE MATTERS. And usually does in many cases.

David Haggerty
09-05-2011, 08:17 AM
engineers from the cape

So...You're in Ft.Myers area? I spend half of my time there! November thru March. I got to say that is one tough labor market. No way I could make it there. My hat's off to you if you can survive there by providing lawn service.

XLS
09-05-2011, 12:56 PM
you guys are the most ass hurt cry babies on this site.....
J-ville
I did not say anything disreapectfull to you facts are facts I have locations in this state with less then 4grand of equipment and less then 500 a month overhead......so i said dont blame it on lower overhead.
we have the same 1 yearbandits and 1000s of them
I did not mean it as a disrespect issue at all.I treated you like you were equal to me ad if i kew you were delicate I would not said **** to you. peace.

oh we have alot of 5 k lawns to friend and we see guys pull the 10-15.00 cut yet we do 500 in that 1 place at 25-28 buck
see I dont care where you are located I tried to take out mine ad your differances and instead of you considering i could shed light on something you could improve on you wanted to think i attacked you .....good luck fried I am out i tried peace.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
09-05-2011, 01:06 PM
madcutterI am not way off you guys may read what I type as a bashing but i take out all of the differances between a state a tenness ad your towns. see i see guys cutting for 15.00 on every 2 week services....all summer long then they are broke and gone.meanwhile we cut that neigbors or 2 for 3 times the price.
I am dealing with compitition way bigger then either of you guys ....try 1.8 million contractors in this state...... I am not saying your state has less just that you are not competeing on a state level I am. again I ment NO DISREASPECT IN ANY OF MY POST MY BAD SORRY. I tried to put you guys on a level field with me and you took it as an insult. fact is reguardless how you see it....price your jobs for your rates andget your price stop competing with hacks or your a hack.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Well I make $30 and up for my 5k lawns so i guess you better stop assuming things and look in the mirror before you call someone else a "cheepie." you need to stop being a jerk. I saw how you insulted lawnguy27 by assuming his dad bought his equipment.

beachtownlawnservice
09-05-2011, 10:26 PM
j-ville. don't get so bent out of shape with comments on a forum. we all do different levels of service for our customers. And the demographics of the community's we service, or target to service differ from city to city. some might target low to moderate income neighborhoods that just want a mowjob. And some might target high end residential that want or kinda of even expect a full service lawn care professional to maintain there property. they don't want someone to come and just mow there grass , with services like, edging and very thorough string trimming. they are going to want someone to keep there property looking perfect all year long. And handle any issues that may arise without being bothered by the lawn care guy for a couple extra dollars (upsells) to pull some weeds or trim some palms.

Will P.C.
09-05-2011, 11:26 PM
j-ville- why you mad tho?

I needed a new deck. He got out here and ended upselling me on a patio, outside painting, and a shite load of little frivolous jobs I added (putting up ceiling fans, hanging things in the garage, cleaning chandelier.

I was an easy upsell though. I already had these things on my 'to do' list and had the financial means ready.

Upselling is an important thing in this business. The way I would approach is find the things that are going to make the most aesthetical, but still affordable. Hedge trimming is one of those things that can make a huge difference for a relatively small price.

Mow and blows just don't make the profit that putting up a new wall, trimming some hedges, spraying a chem, etc. do.

You can also get a good idea about the client this way to see how cheap they are. Do they have hedges that have not been cut in 5 years and refuse to have you do it?

ny scaper
09-06-2011, 11:50 AM
I up-sell all my current customers. Usually I will just point out that something needs to be done and that I can do it for X amount of money if they want me to. The worse they can say is no.
Posted via Mobile Device

What he said...

MR-G
09-10-2011, 12:17 PM
JUST LAWNS.....After reading the back and forth posts on the subject i felt compelled to add this...we run 3 crews of 3...we have full service resi and comm crews and a basic mow and blow crew....from experience i can honestly say that the mow and blow crew makes a higher percent of profit, has less equipment trouble, less downtime, and way less burnout and employee turnover....i would rather run an all mow and go co. for the profit potential...problem is you need so many to make it work...we are building on this but have no intentions of giving up the full service routes anytime soon...there is no reason if you have 2 crews that one couldnt be a mow and go crew...this tough economy will see the need for quality lawn mowing at low prices...:usflag:

Dr.NewEarth
09-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm not going to read all of the posts.

Have a one page colour brochure or flyer printed up. Show some pictures of your work
and list all of these other great services that you offer, besides lawn cutting.
You can make your own flyer with a home office printer. Experiment. Try it on different colours of paper too!

Every month put it in with your invoices. Put some up on telephone poles in the area.
The same goes for newspaper advertising. Keep up the exposure regularly, and eventually people will go " hey, I remember that the lawn service guy also does (ie) pooper scooping."