PDA

View Full Version : Cost For a Lightening Plan

ed2hess
09-01-2011, 10:41 PM
What would I expect to pay for a lighting plan. The house is on a 10K size lot with lots of trees and shrubs. I am looking to spend maybe $5K on the install. I don't know where to start. My home is on a corner and I have done a good job landscaping it now I want to show it off a little in the evening. The street lights are not close so I am pretty dark. Is my $5K too low to get anything nice?

David Gretzmier
09-02-2011, 12:16 AM
like all things, it depends, but on a 1/4 acre lot 5k can make some things happen. I have had clients tell me they have x dollars to spend at the beginning of the conversation, and I try to give them the most bang for thier buck for that x budget if it makes sense. rarely can you get everything you want for what you want to spend, but sometimes calling in a pro will reveal to you what you could have that you are not aware of.

Gilmore.Landscaping
09-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Be sure your leaving room for expansion of your system too since 5k probably won't get all the lights your looking for. Meaning its not worth spending $300 for a transformer when you will just need to spend another $300 down the road, go with a larger transformer right off the bat for say $450. Get what I mean, best talking with a local lighting pro will be the place to start, its not just sticking lights in the ground, haha

Cost for plan, maybe a couple hundred, but some contractors might give you a credit if you let then install to.

Classic Lighting
09-02-2011, 10:33 AM
5k is a fairly accurate ballpark for a 10k landascaped lot.
I'd recommend contacting a AOLP member, Texas has many to choose from:http://www.aolponline.org/search_by_state.asp

all ferris
09-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I think you may want to talk to your insurance about a "lightening plan". As far as lighting, $5k will get you plenty of light. I would go LED if I were you.

ed2hess
09-03-2011, 06:26 PM
I think you may want to talk to your insurance about a "lightening plan". As far as lighting, $5k will get you plenty of light. I would go LED if I were you.

Think they would reduce insurance? How does LED hold up in high temperatures?

all ferris
09-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Think they would reduce insurance? How does LED hold up in high temperatures?

I have been using kichler led for about the past 3-4 years with no problem. It was 103 here the other day. The only thing that has been a problem is the paint fading on some of the earlier fixtures. They have a 15 year warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
09-03-2011, 11:10 PM

I was thinking about maybe 20 lights around the house and maybe get a 300watt transformer for future expansion. And would use LED. How long would it take a guy to wire that on a one story home with 110V available on wall.
I do landscape but don't have a feel for this lighting cost....look at some John Deere books and they seem to handle quality lights.

NightScenes
09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
My lighting designs start at $450 but I'm in central Texas. Others in different parts of the country may charge more or less for their designs.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-04-2011, 02:23 PM
We do not flat rate our design services. Most often we will consult, prepare a design and specification package and then charge an appropriate percentage of what the procured and installed lighting system would cost. As no two lighting systems are the same, no two lighting designs would entail the same costs to prepare.

All too often I see lighting contractors, distributors and even manufacturers offering "free" lighting designs. Not only does this undermine the pro's out there, but it does nothing to help improve the contractors who become reliant upon these 'designers'. Just remember, you do get what you pay for.

ed2hess
09-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I did a internet search for my area and i was very very disappointed. I live in a city a million but all the outdoor ads showed these great big million dollar homes with bunches of lights. I never seen one webpage that looked like a company who would be doing a 250K home. So that tells me that most companies won't bother with a home outside the rolling hills along the lake.
Guess I will end up at John Deere looking for someone to install lights.

all ferris
09-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Where are you located?

starry night
09-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Let me take a stab in the dark..........................Austin, Texas ?

Classic Lighting
09-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Click on this linky: http://www.aolponline.org/search_by_state.asp

Texas is loaded with AOLP lighting professionals. I'm sure one is near you that will do a consult. Lighting design is an art that takes years of practice. JDL may be able to sell the product but it takes a pro to utilize it in the right manner.

starry night
09-07-2011, 09:48 PM
ed2hess: It has not been clear throughout this thread whether you are talking just a written plan or if you want someone to do the install.
Of course, the companies post pictures of their biggest and best lighting jobs.
That doesn't mean they wouldn't consider doing a more modest job.

all ferris
09-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Let me take a stab in the dark..........................Austin, Texas ?

I was posting from a mobile device and it does not show location:hammerhead:

starry night
09-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I was posting from a mobile device and it does not show location:hammerhead:

:laugh: After I posted that sarcasm, I thought to myself "What if he is posting from a mobile device?"

Oh well, a little levity on this forum can't hurt occasionally.

ed2hess
09-08-2011, 03:44 PM
ed2hess: It has not been clear throughout this thread whether you are talking just a written plan or if you want someone to do the install.
Of course, the companies post pictures of their biggest and best lighting jobs.
That doesn't mean they wouldn't consider doing a more modest job.
I want somebody to come look at my house talk with me about what I want then go back and sketch out a little plan of where stuff will be located at. Then if I agree on plan have him put it in. As many say you need a professional and okay. If I am unhappy with his plan I pay him for his time and move on. But when I looked at those ALOP website I can't tell if this some company in the east coast or downtown Austin. I never seen any houses like the ones in the pictures.

bcg
09-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Cut and Paste from the AOLP search by state...

Member Name Chris Thomas
Company: Lightsculptors, Inc.
Address: 4501 Grider Pass
Austin, TX 78749
Phone: (512) 448-2240
Fax:
Email: chris@lightsculptors.com

Member Name Paul Gosselin Sr. CLVLT
Company: NightScenes Corp.
Address: 205 Deer Forest Road
Kingsland, TX 78639
Phone: 325-423-0653
Fax: (325) 388-0200
Email: paul@night-scenes.com

ELumin8
09-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I would suggest for 5K that you focus on some significant features you really enjoy within your landscape. Large trees, wood work, ect...If you illuminate a few unique features within your property very well, like make them look really sexy, you will be better off than trying to balance the overall property with light.
It may take a visit from an educated lighting designer/contractor but it will be money well spent. They will also be able to do the night aiming and match the natural color within your landscape with the correct color temp of bulbs wether they be LEd, halogen, Xenon, or incandescent...
Good luck!

NightScenes
09-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Cut and Paste from the AOLP search by state...

Member Name Chris Thomas
Company: Lightsculptors, Inc.
Address: 4501 Grider Pass
Austin, TX 78749
Phone: (512) 448-2240
Fax:
Email: chris@lightsculptors.com

Member Name Paul Gosselin Sr. CLVLT
Company: NightScenes Corp.
Address: 205 Deer Forest Road
Kingsland, TX 78639
Phone: 325-423-0653
Fax: (325) 388-0200
Email: paul@night-scenes.com

Our projects start around $3500 and we do cover the entire Austin area, especially the west and north. Just drop us an email at info@night-scenes.com

ed2hess
09-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Is there remote controller in lighting that would allow turning off certain zones without string seperate wires to every zone. In irrigation you can get smart valves that can be connected together with one wire but the controller can address each valve seperately....am I being clear?

bcg
09-12-2011, 11:16 PM
You should really give Paul, the post above yours, a call. He definitely knows his stuff and the design fee he charges will be well worth it. I learned a great deal in the time I spent with him.

The short answer to your question is that there isn't anything equivalent to 2 wire for lighting but the real answer is longer and more complicated. You can't loop a single wire pair for lighting like you do for irrigation, the current demands are too high. While they're both low voltage systems and troubleshooting the wire is very similar, that's where the similarity ends.