PDA

View Full Version : Pack Those Pavers

Crusher Run
09-02-2011, 12:14 AM
About how far down will the pavers pack into an inch of washed sand with a compacted stone base?
I need to keep them level with the border, which is already installed.
I'm going to run the plate compactor over the pavers.

They're belguard Bergerac 4 pc.

Thanks guys.

DVS Hardscaper
09-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Well, how far do they normally pack with your previous jobs?

Crusher Run
09-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Well, how far do they normally pack with your previous jobs?

HA HA First time for everything.

This patio is at my house, and it's my first paver job. Everything looks great so far so I want to keep it up.

DVS Hardscaper
09-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Ok, I thought so!

Well in that case, our pavers typically pack about 1/2" into the same.

But there are variables that play into this. Such as moisture content in the sand. Summer is over, so the sand is not as nice and dry from now through April/May.

Crusher Run
09-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Right, I would think that low moisture content would be better for the interlocking properties. Also paver type and compactor...etc, would be other variables.

Is low moisture better? I could go turn the pile over, the suns out today.

Another question; I am planning to lay these pavers this weekend. I was thinking that they all need to be laid the same day, under the same conditions. It's 300 sq ft. If it starts to rain in the middle of laying the pavers, isn't that going to mess things up?
Consistency is key to perfection.

DVS Hardscaper
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
You're getting a lil carried away.

No need to turn the sand! Just keep the rain off of it.

We screed the amount sand to coincide with the the amount of pavers we'll lay for the day. This way the customers kids and dogs Aren't romping through it after we leave. If rain is expected then only screed however much for how much you can lay before the rain comes.

If it starts raining when you're working - then cover yourself with the plastic wrap from the pavers and keep on a rockin and a Rollin..
Posted via Mobile Device

Crusher Run
09-02-2011, 03:27 PM
LOL I do tend to get carried away a little. I'm guesing sweeping polymeric sand should not be done in the rain. When I bought the bags I dumped a little out and wet it down. The next day it turned into caulk like a flexible plastic. I think its going to work very well.

Pics will be coming soon.

xtreem3d
09-03-2011, 03:31 PM
yeah, don't use poly sand in the rain.....i have found my pavers generally sink about 1/4-3/16 of an inch down using a 3200 lb compactor
Steve

Crusher Run
09-03-2011, 10:51 PM
yeah, don't use poly sand in the rain.....i have found my pavers generally sink about 1/4-3/16 of an inch down using a 3200 lb compactor
Steve

3200 lb? how is that measured? The one I rented weighs about 225 lbs.

I got started today, but didn't finish. I am getting up super early tomorrow to finish it before the rain comes.

xtreem3d
09-04-2011, 08:27 AM
3200 lb of centrifical force. All compactors will have a centrifical force rating. I use 3200 because i have broken pavers using higher rated compactors
Steve

PS How are things in VT. I heard your whole state pretty much got nailed .

Crusher Run
09-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm very far North and we didn't get much, compared to the southern and central parts. Some of our mains routes are completely washed away. I guess there's never been anything like it.

vtscaper
09-05-2011, 10:53 PM
id shoot for 1/4" over if that. if anything set em a snatch higher than you think its nothing an extra pass or two with the compactor or persuasion with a rubber mallet cant float out