PDA

View Full Version : wondering where I am at? business 1.5 years old

ShowMeLawns
09-02-2011, 12:32 AM
I started out last May with out reading or updating myself with any new information on lawn care. The name of my company is Show Me Lawncare & Maintenance, LLC. I am 26 yrs old and currently do everything with my wife 5 days a week. We currently have 63 accounts, residential and commercial. Yes we are insured. With all do respect, I feel we do better work than most in our area (sought out by Scotts miracle grow for their account). What I am wondering is if we are on the right track for the companys age. What are other 1 yr old companies doing next to go the next level. like 2nd or 3rd crew? We have no overhead as far as financing. Are you having better luck fixing used mowers or buying new and enjoying a warranty? Thanks Jesse

KS_Grasscutter
09-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Looks to me like you are off to a heck of a start. I guess your at the point that you need to make a decision- stay small and focus on high end, high quality accounts or expand, hire help, and have a lot more overhead. The fact that you have no business debt is real remarkable. You probably will be successful whichever route you go :waving:

Gianninilandscaping
09-02-2011, 01:11 AM
your doing good it sounds like.. my company is 2 years old and i have about 20 to 40 accounts.. i took a loan out from my parents and i still work full time 40 to 50 hours a week.. i am a one man crew sometimes 2 man crew, my biggest account is my dads company (horse boarding facility) i mow 5 acres to 7 acres a week up there... all my big equipment is used but my trimmers and blowers and such are bought new from my full time job at usually 150 to 300 below retail...

I would always buy new on the smaller 2 stroke stuff, you never know how many times someone has put strait gas in without realizing it..

on the mowers if you can find a gently used one for a good price or get one you can fix cheap and easy i would go that route, if you cant fix them on your own and have to bring it to the dealer i would buy new and ride out the waranty... but thats just my view on it..

MR-G
09-06-2011, 09:34 PM
good job...now, duplicate what you just did this past year.....dont change anything!!! this is assuming that it is making a profit and you are figuring in a paycheck for each of you for at least what you would have to pay decent help....dont just go to the high end market....spread it out a bit...a little high end, mediums, mow and go's small commercial ect...this way when the markets go bad for one type or client usually someone else is still ok...we currently have over 700 accts with 3 crews of 3.....we have scaled back some the past 2 yrs....but seeing a brighter light ahead....25yrs so far and counting....so, yes...youre off to a great start...just duplicate, duplicate duplicate......then sell...lol