PDA

View Full Version : 1999 walker 25hp kohler engine case gasket

TurfWarrior
09-02-2011, 11:49 PM
1999 walker w/ 25hp kohler engine.. The engine case gasket is leaking right above the oil filter.i know i need to pull engine i know but what is involved to replace this gasket. i did one on a small mower but not a big engine like this. im sure i can get it apart but putting it back together im not sure whats in there and if anything needs to be realigned ???? etc . any knowledge anyone??? thanks :usflag:

Restrorob
09-03-2011, 08:53 PM
The only things to watch out for is don't rotate the crankshaft after the cover is removed, Doing so will ms-align the oil pump drive and make it more difficult for cover re-installation.

I never go into any high hour engine without replacing the plastic governor gear, Their not that expensive and you never know when they'll sling apart.

Make sure the governor gear properly meshes with the cam gear, You may need to stick a small long screwdriver between the cover and block to align the teeth before pushing the cover on all the way.

Torque the cover as below;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kohler/CH/KohlerCH25ClosurePlateTorque.jpg

BigFish
09-05-2011, 10:36 AM
You should go to the Kohler site and download the shop manual for your motor.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm

StihlMechanic
09-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Also keep in mind the crankcase is sealed with RTV sealant, there isn't a rubberized paper or cork gasket to purchase. You will need to buy some. Be sure to read the instructions.

TurfWarrior
09-06-2011, 08:38 PM
its a 1999 with about 4000 hours on it . right now it has a black paperish gasket it on it factory it looks like. does the plastic gov gear wear or will just break?

Restrorob
09-06-2011, 09:10 PM
does the plastic gov gear wear or will just break?

4000 hrs ??? I would flat out refuse to go into that engine without installing a new gov. gear....

They're plastic and wear, They also get brittle from being heated and cooled over time and sling apart.

You can save 35 bux now by not replacing it while your in there and chance slinging a rod out the side if/when it does go, I've seen it happen.....

TurfWarrior
09-06-2011, 09:12 PM
yeah i will how much more involved is that? need to realign or time something?

Restrorob
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
need to realign or time something?

Nope, Just slide the old one off the pin and slide the new one on. Then abide by what I already posted;

Make sure the governor gear properly meshes with the cam gear, You may need to stick a small long screwdriver between the cover and block to align the teeth before pushing the cover on all the way.

TurfWarrior
09-06-2011, 09:54 PM
awesome ill make sure to video webcam you when i do it lol hopefully this week. lol

piston slapper
09-07-2011, 10:23 AM
4000 hrs ??? I would flat out refuse to go into that engine without installing a new gov. gear....

They're plastic and wear, They also get brittle from being heated and cooled over time and sling apart.

You can save 35 bux now by not replacing it while your in there and chance slinging a rod out the side if/when it does go, I've seen it happen.....

Rob....I agree with 92 1/2 percent of this post....But....

If you ever saw a rod come thru the side of a Command twin, it wasn't an overspeed issue, These engines are internally balanced to over 7000 RPM's.
With or without the governor, you will probably never get past 5500 RPM's without some major improvements to the camshaft and the valvetrain.

That aside...Its always a good idea to replace the gov gear on a high hour engine.:waving:

TurfWarrior
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
well no one has the gasket anymore it looks like . i have to use RTV blue or something what a pain in the ass.i called kohler and he is telling me liquid gasket but that might just be the update since they stopped making it maybe. there might be someone out there that still has them anyone online anyone know

Restrorob
09-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't use RTV, I use nothing but Permatex #51813 Gasket Maker and NEVER had a leak......

TurfWarrior
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
i got the local parts store looking up the gov gear sounds like a young kid takes forever

Restrorob
09-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Part #24 043 12-S.....

BPS##
09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Last winter my uncle had to redo that cover gasket on my 02 Walker with 26 hp EFI.
No gaskets available from Kohler.
Also be very careful to not over tighten the bolts and strip out the block.
You'll be heli-coiling them.

piston slapper
09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't use RTV, I use nothing but Permatex #51813 Gasket Maker and NEVER had a leak......

Good Stuff.....Wont leak

If you cant find that Permatex #, I've been using Permatex Ultra Black, Part # 82180 for over 5 years....no complaints.

TurfWarrior
09-07-2011, 05:35 PM
im digusted with the 3 local small engine places . parts guys dont know **** and always want you to bring it in and match it up.screw the gov gear lol im gonna try and seal the case from the outside or just let it be. i have to change the oil so ill drain it and lucky the leaking part is on top so gravity will help me and let it slide in and tighten it up give it time to dry and fill it back up and see what happens

BigFish
09-08-2011, 11:27 AM
im digusted with the 3 local small engine places . parts guys dont know **** and always want you to bring it in and match it up.screw the gov gear lol im gonna try and seal the case from the outside or just let it be. i have to change the oil so ill drain it and lucky the leaking part is on top so gravity will help me and let it slide in and tighten it up give it time to dry and fill it back up and see what happens

ALL these alleged mechanics around here......... and yet nobody came up with such a SIMPLE solution, dam!!! ( yeah, that will work )

They ain't the only ones!!!!!!!!

piston slapper
09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
ALL these alleged mechanics around here......... and yet nobody came up with such a SIMPLE solution, dam!!! ( yeah, that will work )

They ain't the only ones!!!!!!!!

With only 6-8 weeks left in the growing season..a bandaid on the problem is probably the way to go.
You can always revisit the leak over the winter.

TurfWarrior
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
who wants to carry the engine inside to the kitchen table in the middel of winter lol its now or next spring. i got all the maintenance parts now do i pull the engine before i do this hmmmm..... anyone know the oil for the 25hp kohler. the main guy i trust says its one of the few engines to use 10w-30 because it has hydraulic lifters in it. when the other small engine place says sae 30 in everything.