PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Maintenance Start UP?

RwADesigner
11-02-2002, 01:29 AM
What kind of equipment did you guys start your lawn maintenance business with?

How big of mowers.....weedeaters.....edgers....blowers....trailers....

I would imagine this would affect your profit and pricing.

if you have bigger equipment you can get 3-5 jobs done within the time it would take to do just one job with small equipment.

We are still trying to get a business plan for Lawn Maintenance Services and while I was playing with some pricing....i began to notice a problem.

Say you have no accounts and are just starting in Lawn Care. You have no equipment for Lawn Maintenance. You have to get started somewhere. We already run a Landscape Design Build part of the company. But there seems to be problems in pricing....because I know that the equipment you run and operate affects your business heavily. Do you just bid on a job on a per/hr basis of what you think it would take you to complete the job?

If that is the case, then a person with a nice size mower can complete 3 times as many jobs as a person with a small mower in same amount of time and actually charge less per job.

Sorry to ramble on guys, hope im not being too confusing.

1. What size of equipment do you recommend starting with, considering price/quality/and time saving?

2. Starting with no accounts.

I know that you dont want to go borrow $$$ for nice fantastic equipment and then be stuck with a note that cant be paid.

any help will be appreciated

bubble boy
11-02-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by RwADesigner
person with a nice size mower can complete 3 times as many jobs as a person with a small mower in same amount of time and actually charge less per job.

charge the same per job. the gains in speed are yours.

in fact charge more, do to a better quality of cut.

RwADesigner
11-02-2002, 01:35 AM
BubbleBoy,

Are you talking about cutting with a larger or smaller mower?

bubble boy
11-02-2002, 01:44 AM
larger.

if i move from a 36" up to a 48", charge the same get more done get more $ at days end.

Darryl G
11-02-2002, 02:06 AM
I started this year with a 2000 21 inch White Outdoor 6 HP push mower, a 2002 48 inch Exmark Turf Tracer HP mower with Bullrider sulky, a 1998 JD 855 24 HP diesel tractor with front-end-loader, backhoe and brush mower, a Shindaiwa EB630 backpack blower, a Shindaiwa split-boom trimmer, a Husquvarna 55 Rancher chain saw, a custom 6 1/2 by 12 single axle trailer, a 1985 Chevy 3/4 4WD pick-up and misc. hand tools. I have since added the extended hedge trimmer and edger for the trimmer, a Stihl pole saw, a mulch kit for the mower, a 30 inch Shindaiwa hedge trimmer, and commercial quality hand tools.

Without knowing the size of the lawns you don't have, it's hard to say what size mower would be best. You could start with a commerical quality 21 inch mower, a backpack blower and a trimmer and build from there. A truck is a must, as is insurance.

Good Luck.

Darryl

Randy Scott
11-02-2002, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about equipment size until you decide on the target area you will be marketing your services. NOBODY on here can suggest what equipment you need until you get some info for yourself and us. There are guys here that only run 21" push mowers and guys that only run 72" zero turns. What is the area like as far as property sizes go? Are they city lots? Are they rural suburban homes? Will you do both? This will dictate equipment sizes you will need.

In my particular area, which is useless info to you, I've been using a 60" ZTR and a 21" mower for trim work. This year I bought a 48" walkbehind because those sizes of properties were becoming available to me and I wanterd to take them but needed a smaller yet productive mower. It will be different for everyone and you will have to pick your area you are going to service and see what size equipment it will take to do the work efficiently.. That's really about it until you can answer this question.

:)