PDA

View Full Version : 8' wide car hauler for lawn equipment

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Is it worth the extra weight to have that wide of a trailer. I know some one who has an 8x14 enclosed. He doesn't know the weight of the trailer and I haven't seen it up close. I was thinking that an 8' wide trailer would be nice to have but all that weight? I am a gas conscious person. I hate filling up and waisting that money. Thats why I learned to travel very light but I am going to start carrying an extra mower because of all the large properties I do so I am going to up grade my trailer. I have seen what happens to the underneath of a light single axle enclosed trailer that hauls 2 commercial mowers around. Thats why I want something more substantial. I guess everything is a trade off.

So does anyone use a car hauler for lawn equipment and do they regret it?

PLS-Tx
09-03-2011, 11:57 AM
We use a 8.5X20, I had a 72" ztr when I bought it. For 60" ztr's I think a 8' wide trailer would be perfect.

KrayzKajun
09-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I love my 8.5 trailer. My lawn trailer is a 8.5x18 w/ vnose
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
09-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I have an 8.5x24, works nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 01:49 PM
We use a 8.5X20, I had a 72" ztr when I bought it. For 60" ztr's I think a 8' wide trailer would be perfect.

I love my 8.5 trailer. My lawn trailer is a 8.5x18 w/ vnose
Posted via Mobile Device

I have an 8.5x24, works nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the input. None of you guys really feel the coast of the extra weight
associated with the 8' wide as compared to say a 6 wide. It may not seem like much because its only 2' but its really 2' x 14'. I Don't know how much weight that really is though.

GravelyGuy
09-03-2011, 02:31 PM
My trailer is heavy and it's a pain to park, but it's worth it. It keeps my stuff dry, safe, and prevents me from forgetting anything. The extra width will allow you to have shelving/ladders/trimmer racks and still have room to walk. I am able to park my 34" ZTR and my Zspray side by side in mine. I also have my 60" Z and a 200 gallon skid sprayer with room for bags of fert.

GravelyGuy
09-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Be prepared to piss many neighbors off when you park lol. Oh well...
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
09-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't woRry about fuel economy. I drive a c/c dually diesel. Fuel economy is the last thing I worry about
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
09-03-2011, 04:43 PM
2' width wont be 700 lbs more on the ground???? what am i missing?

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 06:18 PM
2' width wont be 700 lbs more on the ground???? what am i missing?

I don't think you are missing anything. I really had no idea how much more weight it would be. 700 seems like a lot to me. I built a trailer for my exmark and I don't think the whole trailer weighs 700. So you can see where I'm coming from.

A ways back I used a 6 by 16 utility and the gas difference was pretty noticeable compared to what I have now.

XLS
09-03-2011, 07:10 PM
but what your doing is not compairing apples to apples mor grapes to watermellons.
when towing a enclosed trailer at 8' wide the length has little to do with the wind resistance and the lowered fuel economy that comes with it just becasue the front is what breaks the wind.

If you didnt like the 16 open trailers fuel spike you certianly wont like a box reguardless if it weighed the same as your old 16' open it will be much worse due to the wind resistance.

NOW due to the extra tools and saved trips to the shop it will make it more valuable then if you simply go I got 15 with my small trailer I got 10 with the 16' and I now get 8 with the enclosed trailer especially if you track your miles driven a year and can go ...... wow I saved 4500 miles this year because I had everything I needed and made no trips to the shop and limited trips to the dealer 40 miles away. I hope this opens your mind to other ideas besides simple MPG.

PLS-Tx
09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I get 9.5mpg pulling our 8.5X50 enclosed in town. I don't think a smaller trailer would make that big of a difference.

I pull it with an 08' Cummins, I was not worried about weight when I bought the trailer.

As long as you have a truck that can handle it I would not worry about the weight. The extra room and having everything you need will more than make up for it imo.

If I was going to get another enclosed I would go bigger not smaller, maybe 24' instead of 20'.

We are planning to get a box truck, tired of pulling trailers.

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 08:20 PM
I probably sound like some fussy old curmudgeon who has nothing better to do than pinch pennies until they absorb into my blood stream.

I'm really not that bad.

When I shed a mower (I am guessing about 800 lbs) and used a light weight trailer (probably another 700 lbs) with less wheels on the ground It seemed like I was saving about $50 a week in gas. That would equal 3 extra $75 a month year round accounts just to pay for the gas.

Now you guys who are doing 80 accounts a week wouldn't notice 3 accounts. I like to do 40 per week. 3 accounts is 7% more work each week. One day each week Im gonna have to wrk another 1+1/2 hours (there abouts) to pay for that gas.

Boy! I must be pretty lazy if I bother to worry about 7% more work. I guess I am that bad.

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 08:24 PM
but what your doing is not compairing apples to apples mor grapes to watermellons.
when towing a enclosed trailer at 8' wide the length has little to do with the wind resistance and the lowered fuel economy that comes with it just becasue the front is what breaks the wind.

If you didnt like the 16 open trailers fuel spike you certianly wont like a box reguardless if it weighed the same as your old 16' open it will be much worse due to the wind resistance.

NOW due to the extra tools and saved trips to the shop it will make it more valuable then if you simply go I got 15 with my small trailer I got 10 with the 16' and I now get 8 with the enclosed trailer especially if you track your miles driven a year and can go ...... wow I saved 4500 miles this year because I had everything I needed and made no trips to the shop and limited trips to the dealer 40 miles away. I hope this opens your mind to other ideas besides simple MPG.

Everything you say makes good sense. I guess I have to decide if I am expanding or just getting by. Its hard to decide. I'm just a 20 year one man show and 50 to $80 each week means a lot to me.

Good advice though. Thanks.

XLS
09-03-2011, 08:34 PM
i would not absorb 7%.........I WOULD DO MY 40 ACCOUNTS AND BILL EACH ONE $1.50 per week for having everything they need there each week. IF THEY CRY OVER THATPRICE YOU ARE ALREADY OUT OF BUSINESS.......then agai if you could not absorb 1.50 per each lawn....you are again to cheap. This is business not a hobby to most and $50.00 a week is a silly thing to even consider for having everything with you on every job.
Posted via Mobile Device

themadcutter
09-03-2011, 09:32 PM
i would not absorb 7%.........I WOULD DO MY 40 ACCOUNTS AND BILL EACH ONE $1.50 per week for having everything they need there each week. IF THEY CRY OVER THATPRICE YOU ARE ALREADY OUT OF BUSINESS.......then agai if you could not absorb 1.50 per each lawn....you are again to cheap. This is business not a hobby to most and $50.00 a week is a silly thing to even consider for having everything with you on every job.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know how things are where you live but I am getting under cut left and right down hear. Everyone and his second cousin is doing lawn work.

Here is what i mean. I have 2 house I do on one street. Another guy has the 2 houses after that. My client tried to get his neighbor to switch over to me. Not at my request. He just tried to get me some business to be nice. The neighbor wouldn't switch. I was $5 a month more and he wasn't going to dump his guy and pay more money.

Just last week some one new was mowing the next 2 houses. Clean guy. Brand new mower and trailer. Hasn't even bought a rack for his trimmers yet. First year in the business from what I can tell.

I bet he is much cheaper than the guy he replaced because the neighbor liked the lawn guy he had. That means he is much cheaper than me also.

I can't raise any price on any thing. I do what ever these folks want. They like doing their own trimming and I fill in when they want me to and they like me. But I have already lost people who liked me because they wanted to save $20 a month and now there is a guy right there next door who will save them that money if they decide to do it.

I'm fighting $10 palm tree trimming. $12 yard mowing. Groups of Mexicans in the back of pick up trucks who hand pick leaves of the ground after trimming the hedge. (I have no problem with mexicans. I just wish they didn't work for so little so often. Not all of them do but every one that ligit knows 2 or 3 friends who will come out and clean up for practically nothing). Guys who used to work at the cape and always thought their lawn guy made a lot of money so they bought equipment with their severance pay (I'm not joking about that) and even though they are educated out the wazoo they are still cheaper than me.

Usually when this happens the new comers see they aren't making any money pretty quick and then quit. BUT NOW there seems to be an endless supply of new comers. I just dropped the price on a 12 year client because her friend would do all I was doing and more for $30 less each month. I just read a craigs list ad from some one who was out of work and will do "Any Lawn Work Cheap"

Its my own fault for letting loose of some of my established business a few years back and taking it easy in stead of being ready for the storm but I am still in the position I am in and absorbing $50 a week on a shrinking business is hard for me. I'm glad it wouldn't be for you. Wish I was in that boat in place of my leaky dingy.

Thats why I don't know if I should put the money into expanding, There may be nothing to expand.

XLS
09-03-2011, 10:01 PM
ok I want to say this as any way you want to take it but I want you to know its ot a bash,rude or telling you how to run business just saying you may need to see it and think about it

reguardless if your currently sucessful or notevery time you buy something to look bigger then you are you are just making it morelikely your going broke. if your spending to much time on a job again hurting you.
if you are not practicing sound business techniques your killing your business. it sounds to me you dont know your cost of business and so you are over thinking it. you said $1.10 per person per week is whatyour lost over.......1.50????? you can not find a wayto save 3 minutes per week????

say you have a lawn that pays 40 bucks, it takes 60 man minutes.....that is .67 per minute.or save 2 minutes and you dont have to change price at all.

what I find hard is we can make money mowing if our job gets to .50 per 1000 sqft with basic services and you cant figure out how to save 2.00 a job??, It can be done, it is just up to you if you learn your numbers or think 1 dollar a minute is what you have to make. good luck.......If i had the cash for the trailer and really needed the trailer for work then the extra fuel would not be the killing factor. besides that just why do you believe you need a enclosed trailer exactly...... the details as of why. so I can understand why you even want this purchase...... is it because your needing it or wanting it?.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
09-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm not going to get into your last post on the thread about costs and profits compared to your competitors. Every market is different. Up here I market my self to my clients as being higher priced (often significantly higher) than my competitors, but I make my clients well aware of the reasons I feel justified charging so.

My main comment or question is what are you pulling the trailer with? I don't recall seeing you tell us in any of the posts, nor do I remember seeing anybody ask. When towing their is a huge difference in efficiency with different trucks and engines. Are you pulling the trailer with a 6cyl falling apart 1990 f150 or a newer diesel f350

themadcutter
09-04-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm not going to get into your last post on the thread about costs and profits compared to your competitors. Every market is different. Up here I market my self to my clients as being higher priced (often significantly higher) than my competitors, but I make my clients well aware of the reasons I feel justified charging so.

My main comment or question is what are you pulling the trailer with? I don't recall seeing you tell us in any of the posts, nor do I remember seeing anybody ask. When towing their is a huge difference in efficiency with different trucks and engines. Are you pulling the trailer with a 6cyl falling apart 1990 f150 or a newer diesel f350

Excellent question.

It is a 2002 toyota tundra limited in very good condition with the small v8 and tow package. So I guess I am in between the falling apart 6cyl and the kick a diesel.

XLS
09-04-2011, 01:42 PM
if you cant absorb 80 a week your pricing and speed of service is off bad or new toys have your cost to opperate to high to compete.

This goes back to right tools for the job besides that you claim your compition is already cheaper then you.........how do you know??? did the company servicing tell you or the HO?? you know thyewill lie to you to save money right?
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
yeah a kick a diesel that gets 12 mpg loaded or not...... I love guys who think new and big equals better what the hell.....he cant pull 80 more bucks a week he sure as hell cant affort to fuel it insure it and make the payment...... to make the madcutter more competitive maybe he shoud trade the tundra for a 92ish chevy 3500 and get more truck for the money and get money back.......there is more to business then MPG whe you are considering a truck
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
09-04-2011, 04:15 PM
I havent seen it mentioned ,but a car hauler is probably sprung for a 6000 lb. payload or more [mine had 2 6000 lb. axles on it ] ,so your equipment might take a good beating going down the road .

XLS
09-04-2011, 05:29 PM
what kind of trailer do you have now?
size?
I think you said an exmark ztr mower but what else are you hauling what is this 2nd mower you plan on using??
what reason do you have for a enclosed trailer it just makes sense to needthe trailer before you want it.
Posted via Mobile Device

themadcutter
09-04-2011, 11:58 PM
I havent seen it mentioned ,but a car hauler is probably sprung for a 6000 lb. payload or more [mine had 2 6000 lb. axles on it ] ,so your equipment might take a good beating going down the road .

I never thought of that. Your saying stuff will be bouncing around a lot more. I don't know if it will hurt the mowers but I bet it would hurt the trimmer shafts at the very least. I'll have to think on that.

themadcutter
09-05-2011, 12:10 AM
what kind of trailer do you have now?
size?
I think you said an exmark ztr mower but what else are you hauling what is this 2nd mower you plan on using??
what reason do you have for a enclosed trailer it just makes sense to needthe trailer before you want it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a very small trailer. which is only hauling one rack a mower and a blower and one tool box with a few chain saws, a hedge trimmer and misc. tools. As light as I could get. Years back I got rid of all excess and stripped to the bare minimum and at that time I got rid of clients that just didn't make me enough money per hour. I focused on profit only.

Now I think I may need to go back to bulk. Back Then when I cut down it didn't make sense having 2 (at one time 3) mowers. Now I could really use something big because I can cut down the time I spend on acres and as a result lower my acre lot price a tiny bit so I will be closer to the price some of these out of work construction guys are charging. To do that I will need a bigger trailer (off course) and the bigger trailer won't fit in the garage and I don't want my equipment outside 24/7 so I want to go enclosed.

As to the second mower it would have been a 61" stander but it didn't make sense to buy a mower I couldn't move around. There are mowers all over the place down here but for some reason there are not to many GOOD enclosed trailers at a good price.

XLS
09-05-2011, 11:16 AM
so what size mower do you use?
what is your per acre price??

I think you see what I am sugesting but not listening orthinking of what is said.
now you are going to fight backagainst low ballers by buying a new trailer possible new truck and 2 big mowers so your price per acre can go down.....what the hell man.

you are backwards of any sucessfull LCO WE DONT SPEND 9K TO SAVE 10 BUCKS .

you may need to reorginize your current setups look at the size lawn you cut for your rate.

if you cant aford to pay for fuel then just unload the equipment into your garage??

I am not telling you how to run your business just trying to help you seperate dream from reality.
besides the fact you cant afford fuel....... how will you ever buy new equipment and not increase your prices and still pay for it???
If I could tell you one thing and know you would listen it would be stop compairing your business to anyone learn what it cost you to opperate and screw the cheap ****. if i worked for all the low prices i seen over the years I would be broke and confused.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
09-05-2011, 12:19 PM
yeah a kick a diesel that gets 12 mpg loaded or not...... I love guys who think new and big equals better what the hell.....he cant pull 80 more bucks a week he sure as hell cant affort to fuel it insure it and make the payment...... to make the madcutter more competitive maybe he shoud trade the tundra for a 92ish chevy 3500 and get more truck for the money and get money back.......there is more to business then MPG whe you are considering a truck
Posted via Mobile Device

I asked this for , a very good reason. He did not state what he drove. The difference between a open trailer and the wight of a loaded car hauler is huge if he is trying to pull it with a ford ranger. For all I knew he may be driving a diesel all ready. And for who that don't realize it their is a great differnce with towing between the different vehicles and engines. A good example is I have 2 f250 crew cabs, both the same year. One is a 5.4 gas, gets about 11.5mpg's empty and when towing my skid and attachments I get about 8.5. My other f250 is a diesel, I average about 19mpgs empty and with the same trailer I get about 16mpgs. Also the difference in the size of trucks and it's capabilities is huge, a f150 may be rated to pull the trailer but pulling it every day will be alot of abuse, the driver will see quicker brake wear, clutch wear, suspension wear, balljoints, u joints, engine wear, transmision wear, etc.... where a f350 pulling it will not see the same abuse as the trailer is well within it's capabilities. And while you point out the additional cost of a diesel, do the math. If I pull my loaded trailer 12,000 miles a year, the difference between my diesel and 5.4 is the 5.4 would cost me about $250 a month more in fuel. Unloaded my diesel costs about $150 less in fuel a month than the 5.4 does.

It's as simple as how you are using the truck, if you are going to be pulling a heavy trailer every day, then the fuel savings may quickly outway the additional cost for diesel.

XLS
09-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Green Industy I agree with you . I was not making the statement toward you but the madcutter He is complaining about absorbing $80.00 a week out of the 40 coustomers he has and states he cant get even the $2.00 differance out of them with out losing them So when he said kick ass diesel I showed him how not kick ass diesels can be . I have crews getting 18 mpg in gas trucks is i know it goes both ways I was just calling him on his misconception that bigger is better idea . I laugh when guys want the brickman look with out the brickman work . I mean brickman does not buy the rigs to grow into the look they need what they buy so they buy it .
Madcutter comes off as needing more customers or a higher rate where his profit or his dicisions to buy an item is haulted by $2.00 a week per customer.
Sorry if you felt I was bashing at your post You are exactly right ,we did not know and Now I see he has one of the more fuel efficient trucks in the industry for a mow and go load and yet he is bent about fuel ........ it can only get worse for him if he dont rework his business plan.????